• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Highest-capacity preserved train

Status
Not open for further replies.

A S Leib

What's the (approximate – I'm not expecting an exact answer) highest capacity of passengers a train has managed on a preserved line in the UK? What's the highest theoretical capacity possible with current rolling stock in preservation?

Related questions would be what the longest train in preservation has been, and, more tangentially, what the longest platform at a preserved station is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The highest seating capacity vehicles would be Mk1 non-corridors (a compartment second seats 108) so the surprising answer might be a packed KWVR train of 5 non-corridors including our CL and SoL) would seat pushing 45O (and 6 would be 550, but that's theoretical).
You'd need 8 Mk1 corridors (assuming a buffet) to match that, and I suspect few railways operate more than that. Mind you, corridor stock has standing capacity on top....

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The highest seating capacity vehicles would be Mk1 non-corridors (a compartment second seats 108) so the surprising answer might be a packed KWVR train of 5 non-corridors including our CL and SoL) would seat pushing 45O (and 6 would be 550, but that's theoretical).
You'd need 8 Mk1 corridors (assuming a buffet) to match that, and I suspect few railways operate more than that. Mind you, corridor stock has standing capacity on top....

At one of the diesel galas at the West Somerset a few years ago they joined two sets together for the last train of the day from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead and hauled it with one of the Hydraulics. So I think that was ten mk1s.

RHDR has run some very long trains in terms of number of carriages, and wouldn't surprise me in total length either

SteveM70

Established Member
The Wensleydale are running 8 carriage trains for the {solar Express this year, and apparently every seat is sold, so presumably that's 450ish?

1Q18

The Bluebell ran a special 12-coach train in 1990 for the launch of their 9F, 92240, into traffic.

Veteran Member
The Wensleydale are running 8 carriage trains for the {solar Express this year, and apparently every seat is sold, so presumably that's 450ish?
Perhaps slightly more, depending on the amount of accessible space, buffet etc.

SteveM70

Established Member
Perhaps slightly more, depending on the amount of accessible space, buffet etc.

There are two ticket types, but I’m not sure if one is premium as in 2+1 first class seating, or premium as in “the experience”, so I erred on the side of caution

Tim M

For comparison, standard Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railway services typically feature ten carriages comprising: eight 3rd Class Saloons, a Service Car plus the Pullman 1st Observation Car, providing approximately 300 seats.

A S Leib

Yes but that wasn't the OP's question.
It wasn't, although 'busiest heritage railway station' is another question I'd be interested in. (Focusing on the preserved bit, otherwise I suspect it would quite easily be Alton, East Grinstead, Princes Risborough etc.).

david l

ELR once ran a 23 coach train with a steam loco (as a special but all coaches available), photos are somewhere.............

Gwr12345

There are two ticket types, but I’m not sure if one is premium as in 2+1 first class seating, or premium as in “the experience”, so I erred on the side of caution
Premium as in 'the experience' I think, I don't think they have any first class coaches. Mind you, all the premium gets you extra is a mug

jumble

The Bluebell ran a special 12-coach train in 1990 for the launch of their 9F, 92240, into traffic.
More recently the Bluebell ran a 12 Coach train on the 40th Anniversary of the Deltic Preservation society in 2017

Magdalia

Established Member
What's the (approximate – I'm not expecting an exact answer) highest capacity of passengers a train has managed on a preserved line in the UK? What's the highest theoretical capacity possible with current rolling stock in preservation?

Related questions would be what the longest train in preservation has been, and, more tangentially, what the longest platform at a preserved station is.
Given that nearly all preserved railway is single track, length of run round and passing loops are an important constraint on train length.

I haven't travelled on preserved railways since covid, so things may have changed, but the railway I went to expecting 8 car trains at galas was the Severn Valley. I have a vague recollection that, at one time, the East Lancs also ran 8 car trains, but possibly only before the Heywood extension opened.

The longest train I can recall travelling on was 11 cars on the West Somerset when a 7 car special and a 4 car timetable train were combined for the last departure out of Minehead.

For packing lots of passengers into a small space the quad art set at the North Norfolk will be hard to beat, though I can't find exact figures for seat numbers.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Gloucestershire Warwickshire ran a few 12 coach trains at galas a few years back.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would think Minehead takes the prize fer longest platform on a preserved line ;)
Pretty sure that it’s got the longest platforms of any preserved railway in the UK.

I don’t know if anyone on here attended any of the bonkers diesel galas on the Dartmoor Railway in the 2000s? But they ran some pretty decent length trains on there back then too.

Richard Scott

Established Member
C
Pretty sure that it’s got the longest platforms of any preserved railway in the UK.

I don’t know if anyone on here attended any of the bonkers diesel galas on the Dartmoor Railway in the 2000s? But they ran some pretty decent length trains on there back then too.
Cheltenham Racecourse is 15 coaches on one platform, is Minehead longer than that (assume it might be as guessing in dim and distant past had long holiday trains)?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
C

Cheltenham Racecourse is 15 coaches on one platform, is Minehead longer than that (assume it might be as guessing in dim and distant past had long holiday trains)?

Blimey I didn’t realise it was that long. I’m not sure now then because that was some nugget of information I stored away probably years before Racecourse opened.
We need a (very long) tape measure!

cav1975

On the Isle of Wight the standard service train, bogie set of 5, has 360 seats and runs virtually all operating days May to September. In the shoulder seasons it tends to be reduced to 4 carriages to allow for maintenance. We have run a 6 coach set which seats 400 but it is too long to run round at Wootton.

Sean Emmett

The narrow gauges tend to go all in on length to cope with lower per car capacity

True, but some Ffesty stock (e.g. ex WHR 23) has 7 compartments seating 8 each. A nominal capacity of 56. Only 8 fewer than a MK1 TSO. Ouch!

It meant only one carriage needed to be set aside for a road coach party.

Those trains in the 1970s full of Butlins campers carried huge numbers of people.

Times have changed and the trend now is longer trains so people can spread out more. Many trains are now too long for the smaller locos.

stuu

Established Member
Going off of Google Maps satellite images, ~250 metres.
I think you are mistaken, google maps makes it about 380m. I believe it was supposed to be long enough for 16 Mk1s and a loco

I think you are mistaken, google maps makes it about 380m. I believe it was supposed to be long enough for 16 Mk1s and a loco
Correct, although it’s more like 200m if you want to run-round and remain inside the signal without propelling.

CRC is around 270m long with a similar usable length to a Minehead if you don’t want to propel.

Last edited:

A S Leib

I couldn't tell how much of the covered section was part of the platform, which probably explains the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.