• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Highland Sleeper Diversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floydlover25

I have discovered that the Highland sleepers for 27th - 30th May are being diverted away from their normal Carstairs - Edinburgh route due to engineering work and will instead will go via Mossend (loco change), Cumbernauld and Falkirk.

Any ideas what loco would haul the trains to/from Mossend and Edinburgh? As the route via Cumberauld and Falkirk it is not electrified my first thought was a class 67 but I don't believe they have a sufficiently high enough ETH index to provide power to the 16 coach sleeper. Would a double headed 67 be able to provide the necessary ETH?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G90910/2013/05/27/advanced

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
IWould a double headed 67 be able to provide the necessary ETH?
Yes - when the sleepers have been diverted via Bolton in the past,
they were usually 'dragged' by pairs of 67s, although more exotic
motive power sometimes produced!

MARK

simonm

Moreover, will be a nice break for those passengers going all the way to stretch their legs at Perth. Enough time to wonder in to get a proper breakfast!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why does it have a near 2 hour wait at Perth?
For pathing reasons (there are single line sections), it allows a Glasgow - Inverness train to get in front.

The alternative would presumably involve re-timing several other trains.

laird

The Southbound schedule is incorrect for the Wembley to Euston section, the sleeper crew on boarding advised the train is scheduled to arrive at 0925 for the next 13? weeks. Anyone know why the real time trains schedules and those issued to the train crews differ?

Liam

Established Member
For pathing reasons (there are single line sections), it allows a Glasgow - Inverness train to get in front.

The alternative would presumably involve re-timing several other trains.

What will the alternative be for commuters that would normally use the sleeper from Kingussie, Aviemore and Carrbridge?

38Cto15E

With the Caledonian Sleeper offer on I have looked at going from Euston to Fort William, I checked availability for Mon 15th and Tues 16th July and the train leaves Euston at the earlier time of 1951 with the normal 0955 arrival time in Fort William.
Is the Caledonian sleeper going via the ECML ? I have looked at the engineeering section of the Scotrail site but it has not yet listed July works.

38Cto15E

I have now looked at opentraintimes for the timings of the Fort William section of the Caledonian Sleeper, is there a reason it routes via Cumbernauld and not Falkirk High and then turn off at Cowlairs?
The Cumbernauld/Springburn route seems longer. TIA

Liam

Established Member
I have now looked at opentraintimes for the timings of the Fort William section of the Caledonian Sleeper, is there a reason it routes via Cumbernauld and not Falkirk High and then turn off at Cowlairs?
The Cumbernauld/Springburn route seems longer. TIA

6 and half a dozen. There are a couple of Inverness-Glasgow trains via the Cumbernauld line to avoid the busier line through Croy and Lenzie. This will change shortly as the Cumbernauld line will be closed for periods, including total closure overnights, as part of the electrification program.

Status
Not open for further replies.