• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historical... Double Wire Working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Foster

Double wire working? What's that??? :D

I'm looking for any examples of points and/or signals being worked mechanically by double wire in the UK at any time.
Double wire, as distinct from the usual UK rodding for points and single wire for signals, was quite common in Europe but, so far, I have only seen one track/signalling diagram which showed its use in the UK - and I don't recall where it was. IIRC it was on freight only lines - but I could be wrong.
Any and all assistance will be much appreciated. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Signal Head

Double wire working? What's that??? :D

I'm looking for any examples of points and/or signals being worked mechanically by double wire in the UK at any time.
Double wire, as distinct from the usual UK rodding for points and single wire for signals, was quite common in Europe but, so far, I have only seen one track/signalling diagram which showed its use in the UK - and I don't recall where it was. IIRC it was on freight only lines - but I could be wrong.
Any and all assistance will be much appreciated. :D

Double wire worked points were associated with barrel or 'turnover' frames, of German, or at least European, design I think. The LMS experimented with these, the example I know of is one of the Rowsley boxes, probably in the sidings, could that be what you are thinking of?

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Double wire worked points were associated with barrel or 'turnover' frames, of German, or at least European, design I think. The LMS experimented with these, the example I know of is one of the Rowsley boxes, probably in the sidings, could that be what you are thinking of?

You may also get more answers by posting your question on http://forum.signalbox.org/, if you haven't already.

MikePJ

I'm 90% sure that quite a lot of the Longmoor Military Railway used double-wire worked points, because it was felt to be useful for military railwaymen to be familiar with Continental practices. I'm pretty sure there are photos in one of the books I have at home - can check for you.

MikePJ

I'm 90% sure that quite a lot of the Longmoor Military Railway used double-wire worked points, because it was felt to be useful for military railwaymen to be familiar with Continental practices. I'm pretty sure there are photos in one of the books I have at home - can check for you.

Here you are: Longmoor Downs station, showing two wire points in the foreground. From "Branch Lines to Longmoor", Mitchell and Smith.
c7b32c6f033586886a6ecbf3ab73cd15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D Foster

Thanks guys :) Rowsley sounds like a distinct possibility. The LMR is also useful. Does anyone know of any other examples please?
I did recall seeing a picture "somewhere" of a turnover frame in use somewhere on the LMS... possibly the one at Rowsley

Status
Not open for further replies.