• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HM Forces leaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueSuit

Hi, please take pity on this poor old RAF sergeant who is going to be thrown back into the real world this year and give me the benefit of your advice.
My brother has worked in rail signalling for years and has suggested it might be a good way for me to go, although its a long time since he was outside of the industry looking in. I dont have a background in engineering but he has assured me I can still find a job out there if I can get the proper training. The Air Force will give me a budget to spend on re-settlement training but then it is knowing what courses to do. I can speak to course providers but at the end of the day, they want to sell a course to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thedispatcher

Ex-forces are the best thing since sliced bread to railway HR departments. If you're interested in the rail industry in general, apply for any number of jobs doing any number of things. You're very employable!

RBSN

Hi, please take pity on this poor old RAF sergeant who is going to be thrown back into the real world this year and give me the benefit of your advice.
My brother has worked in rail signalling for years and has suggested it might be a good way for me to go, although its a long time since he was outside of the industry looking in. I dont have a background in engineering but he has assured me I can still find a job out there if I can get the proper training. The Air Force will give me a budget to spend on re-settlement training but then it is knowing what courses to do. I can speak to course providers but at the end of the day, they want to sell a course to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your service, sir and best of luck with your future!

Flamingo

Established Member
Indeed, an old salt suggested following orders without question is very desirable in pursuit of profit for TOCs and FOCs :P

He was in the RAF, not the SS. :roll:

To the OP, don't rule out ANY job with a TOC. Most of the good jobs get advertised internally first, so if you are already in the company it gives you first choice.

Check the TOC recruitment websites regularly - every two-three days.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
I didn't realise the RAF were unionised...do they get to pick which orders to follow? :D

Yes, they follow lawful orders. Quite a lot of training in HMF is around the law of armed conflict, geneva convention, and rules of engagement.

I take it you never served in any capicity?

MrPIC

Yes, they follow lawful orders. Quite a lot of training in HMF is around the law of armed conflict, geneva convention, and rules of engagement.

Jees lighten up mate, if YOU have served, surely you can take a bit of banter.

Trog

Established Member
Its not the truth that matters in this case, it is what HR think the truth is that is important here.

If HR think that ex-forces staff will be loyal and follow orders, and not be awkward, cynical, and grasping for overtime. Like those old ex BR staff they seem to have been stuck with for ever, they will go for ex-forces. Just don't go native until your probationary period is over.

BlueSuit

Thank you very much indeed for the positive messages and advice folks. Keep it coming.

The RAF is a bit more laid back than the army so it's not such a case of "how high Sir". Getting into the rail has really captured my imagination so Im really looking forward to the next chapter so to speak. Appreciate the advice regarding not ruling out any jobs. It does mean I have to be a bit decisive now though. I think I'm supposed to be good at that :oops: Now, what to spend that training allowance on.............

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thank you very much indeed for the positive messages and advice folks. Keep it coming.

The RAF is a bit more laid back than the army so it's not such a case of "how high Sir". Getting into the rail has really captured my imagination so Im really looking forward to the next chapter so to speak. Appreciate the advice regarding not ruling out any jobs. It does mean I have to be a bit decisive now though. I think I'm supposed to be good at that :oops: Now, what to spend that training allowance on.............

To be fair you should have put the bloke down earlier who called you sir, Sergeant. ;)

ExMover

Hi there Bluesuit, I left the RAF to join the railway last year and am now a driver. I didn't need to do any resettlement training to land the job as my experience and background was enough. Some TOCs specifically target servicemen for jobs through Leavers Jobs Fairs and through the Service Leavers website which you'll have access to. What the TOCs want to see is how you've dealt with difficult situations which can either be through your training or actual experiences. It doesn't have to be railway related at all. How you deal (and get on) with other people both from a colleague and customer perspective is also important. Best advice is to start applying asap; you really won't have a problem. Oh, also, use your resettlement for something useful like plumbing. It'll save you a fortune! Good Luck

JohnFM

Do ANY course that you want to do. I used mine on the CTP based Property Maintenance course, which was well worth the time at Alder****.

Dai_Llama

Hi Bluesuit,

I left the RAF this year to commence a job on the railways. From what I can gather there are plenty of ex Armed Forces types in the industry and they are looked upon favourably due to their training, punctuality, backgrounds, life experience and the likes.

So long as you nail your application you should get to the interview stage as you possess many of the attributes that they are looking for.

Good luck

Fred Dinenage

Nope. My dad did, D-Day on LCTs. One of my best mates just retired from the forces with a queen's award. The lad I sat next to in class was a Sergeant in the Royal Armoured Corps. I'm well versed in the role our armed forces serve and protect our country.

I made a flippant comment ( with a smiley, hopefully to denote the post's non-serious nature ) regarding an off-the-cuff remark by a railwayman of 30+ years.

Armed conflict, Geneva convention and rules of engagement don't really have a bearing on the railway industry as I understand it. Not till the RMT tell me, anyway....

As MrPIC suggested, lighten up, Rambo. :D

BlueSuit

Sounds like I need to get some CVs sent out pretty soon. Can't wait to start the next chapter so to speak. Cheers all!

Status
Not open for further replies.