• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holyhead to Dublin PRIV travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I've worked out how to book myself a Sail Rail ticket to Dublin. My friend has now decided to come with me. He had PRIV (with boxes/protected status as ex-BR). I understand he can get free travel between Holyhead and Dublin (and back).

How does he go about booking this? I assume he has to mark a box - he'll need to do this for the train journey to Holyhead anyway as I don't think Northern staff get free travel on TfW anymore (as its no longer Arriva operated).
Can he get free travel with both Irish Ferries and Stena Line? My intention is to travel with Stena Line if possible as they treat their passengers better.
Does he just pay the port tax on the day of travel, which I assume is payable at on departure at both ends?

I would appreciate any advise. My friend is not good at arranging travel and stuff so I am trying to do as much as I can.

Also, while in Ireland is he able to get discounted train travel? If so, how would he obtain this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
With regards to the shipping element this is what the RSTL guide states:

Stena Line Irish Services Staff Travel Cards (no need to date a box) issued to Employees and Dependants are recognised on services operated by Stena Line for free travel on its services to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Travel as a foot passenger is free, but a Port Tax ticket (for all passengers aged 4 or over) must be obtained in advance and presented at the embarkation port.

https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/files/Publications/services/rst/RST_Where_Can_I_Go_SG_v7.pdf

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks, so I guess a phone call to Stena to make a foot passenger reservation would be the best bet to avoid disappointment. Although it says a port tax ticket must be obtained in advance, in reality can this be obtained on the day?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Although it says a port tax ticket must be obtained in advance, in reality can this be obtained on the day?

Best give them a ring as per the guide:

Stena Line booking details Telephone: 08448 471 471 for port tax payments and vehicle discounted fares.

Also from the guide re Irish Ferries:

Irish Ferries operate services between Pembroke Dock and Rosslare, and
between Holyhead and Dublin. Active full time Safeguarded Employees who are eligible for National Rail
travel facilities are granted free travel on two occasions a year for
themselves and their eligible Dependants. Apply to Rail Staff Travel at least
8 weeks in advance on Non-FIP Travel Request Form (XX09d) giving full
details of the specific journeys (date and sailing time) required.
Active full time Safeguarded staff may also book unlimited Priv-rate
journeys.

Part-time Employees, Housekeepers, Retired Employees (and their
Dependants) and Widow(er)s can enjoy unlimited Priv-rate journeys.
Tickets must be purchased from Irish Ferries in advance of travel.
The discount is available on the price of the foot-passenger ticket. Port tax
must be paid at the public rate.
Irish Ferries booking details
Telephone 08717 300 400

Established Member
Just follow the rules and you can’t go wrong. Simple enough to call Stena and they’ll email the Port Tax ticket. Safeguarded staff get free travel in Ireland, just apply for the Irish coupon on the Rail Staff Travel website for up to 8 days free travel.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks guys. If Stena can do the port tax payment over the phone too then that all sounds simple.

The Quincunx

I booked my Port Taxes with Stena last week. A very pleasant yong lady answered straight away: asked for my Privilege Travel Card number, took my payment card details and sent a confirmation e-mail. And that was that.

Flying Snail

Established Member
They can also be bought at the port in person, either in advance or immediately prior to travel.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks guys. Sounds like as a phone call needs to be made for the foot passenger bit might be easier to pay the port tax on the same call.

father_jack

They can also be bought at the port in person, either in advance or immediately prior to travel.
Indeed they can but it would be a risk to take if in case the ship is "full" for foot passengers. The port tax used to be valid as a reservation but for example when the Fishguard was the smaller Stena Nordica I had problems getting on............

Flying Snail

Established Member
Indeed they can but it would be a risk to take if in case the ship is "full" for foot passengers.

That rarely happens and even when the default foot passenger allocation is reached the desk agents can release unused vehicle passenger capacity at check-in close time.

People who arrive on time with tickets or looking to purchase tickets being left behind is a very unusual occurrence, so much so I regularly travel with no reservations and have never been refused.

The port tax used to be valid as a reservation but for example when the Fishguard was the smaller Stena Nordica I had problems getting on............

That seems to contradict the "risk" you posted about pre-booking then.

I am not suggesting that people should travel without reservations, just that it is a valid option and there is really no need for panic about not having one.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Port tax appears to be available as a rail ticket.

I was offered a port tax ticket when purchasing my priv from Cardiff to Fishguard Harbour a few years back. I've checked and there seems to be one from Cairnryan to Belfast too - albeit at £10 instead of the usual £5.

Status
Not open for further replies.