• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Honiton to Cowes East Permitted route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonm

If you have a Honiton to Cowes East RFS Off Peak return are you permitted to break your journey at Eastleigh on the return leg? I think I know the answer to the next question but arr you permitted to travel via Basingstoke (I suspect not) Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes, break of journey is permitted on either leg of all tickets between Honiton and Cowes East Red Funnel Ship. Via Eastleigh is a permitted route and thus you may break your journey there. Travel via Basingstoke isn't a permitted route.

If you got a ticket from St James Park (Exeter), for example, then travel would be permitted via Basingstoke on route "Honiton Salisbury" or "Reading not Lond" tickets. The former route of tickets are all approximately £10 more expensive than the equivalent tickets from Honiton, so that would appear to be a worthwhile price to pay given what Salisbury to Basingstoke costs.

simonm

Thanks for your swift response! Another question: I'm travelling with a Network Railcard. Is there an earliest time one can get on the ferry at Cowes on the return leg or do restrictions only apply at Southampton station?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for your swift response! Another question: I'm travelling with a Network Railcard. Is there an earliest time one can get on the ferry at Cowes on the return leg or do restrictions only apply at Southampton station?
The list of easements on the usual "not before 10:00 Monday-Friday" rule is published here. I can't find anything that would seem to apply if you're travelling on the Cowes East Red Funnel Ship route, so as far as I can tell you can't depart before 10:00. Journey planners may or may not implement it this way - but whatever they say can be relied upon if you book it through them.

Note that, on a Network Railcard discounted ticket, you must stay within the Network Railcard area even if an undiscounted ticket would ordinarily be valid outside the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.