• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hope Valley Capacity Scheme updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Press release with 1-minute video:

The first pieces of track have been installed to relieve a long-standing bottleneck on the Hope Valley railway line, providing faster and more reliable rail journeys for passengers.

Engineers working at Bamford on the Hope Valley line, laid the first 340 metres of track for a new ‘passing loop’ that will allow slower trains to switch to the new track, while faster trains continue past at a higher speed.

The work is part of the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade, which will alleviate several bottlenecks along the route between Manchester and Sheffield and provide upgrades to stations.

Killingworth

Established Member
Press release with 1-minute video:

Intersting that the press release overlooks the new loop/extended chord at Dore. By allowing freight services to shelter between the MML and Hope Valley line it will make a significant contribution to reducing delays caused by trains that may currently stand foul of either line awaiting a path onto the other.

td97

Established Member
Will passenger trains be able to use the new Bamford loop?
Yes it will be cleared for passenger use, but highly unlikely. Probably only if there's a broken down train or track defect on the adjacent Up Hope Valley line.

Killingworth

Established Member
Will passenger trains be able to use the new Bamford loop?

It's not designed for passenger service but like any loop will be accessible, however there'll be limited advantage to do so.

As it is now stopping services are held at New Mills to allow a late running eastbound fast precedence. If the fast is very late it follows the stopper and may get even later by Sheffield if it catches up. There might be advantage to allow that slow service to proceed to Bamford and be overtaken there - if it's not already hokding a freight. It might also be available for the occasional special.

However everything that was said at the public consultations and at the public inquiry emphasised that both loops would not fulfil their designed purpose if used by passenger services. It was also said that Network Rail were designing and building the new configurations to meet the specification. It was up to operators how they used them.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes it will be cleared for passenger use.

It's not designed for passenger service but like any loop will be accessible, however there'll be limited advantage to do so.

As it is now stopping services are held at New Mills to allow a late running eastbound fast precedence. If the fast is very late it follows the stopper and may get even later by Sheffield if it catches up. There might be advantage to allow that slow service to proceed to Bamford and be overtaken there - if it's not already hokding a freight. It might also be available for the occasional special.

However everything that was said at the public consultations and at the public inquiry emphasised that both loops would not fulfil their designed purpose if used by passenger services. It was also said that Network Rail were designing and building the new configurations to meet the specification. It was up to operators how they used them.
Some contradiction here. Some loops are prohibited for passenger use, typically those with traps at the exit, but new track and re-signallings are usually to passenger standards even if there is no intent to use them as such. I'd expect it to be cleared for passenger use and occasionally used to hold the local service as described here. Unlikely it would be used for specials, as these are likely to be non-stop so won't need to be overtaken.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Some contradiction here. Some loops are prohibited for passenger use, typically those with traps at the exit, but new track and re-signallings are usually to passenger standards even if there is no intent to use them as such. I'd expect it to be cleared for passenger use and occasionally used to hold the local service as described here. Unlikely it would be used for specials, as these are likely to be non-stop so won't need to be overtaken.
Specials are quite likely to need to hold awaiting a path forward through Sheffield, or to be held clear of the Dore South Curve. Modern standards mean any new loop will now meet passenger standards unless there are significant reasons to deviate from them.
It will be designed for passenger services to use it, but the timetable won't require it.

D365

Veteran Member
I read the suggestion of charter specials as a chance to allow bashers to ’tick off’ a brand new piece of track.

Killingworth

Established Member
Specials are quite likely to need to hold awaiting a path forward through Sheffield, or to be held clear of the Dore South Curve. Modern standards mean any new loop will now meet passenger standards unless there are significant reasons to deviate from them.

It will be designed for passenger services to use it, but the timetable won't require it.
Sorry, my description was ambiguous. Right from the public consultations in 2013, 2015 and the public inquiry in 2016 we were constantly told the loops were specified and designed to meet freight needs. That has been repeated in more recent public update meetings.

However, the caveat has been repeated that all the improvements are being provided to be used by TOCs and FOCs as needed. Whilst today's intentions may not be for passenger use we can't know what future demands will bring.

The original specification was for 4 fast passenger services an hour, subsequently watered down to three. Currently TPE are not operating their half of the supposed two an hour sufficiently reliably to build custom, rather the reverse, and often with only 3 cars. It's hard to make a strong business case for a third fast train an hour until the current two are operating reliably at full length every hour.

I suppose if the option of running a second hourly slow/semi-fast service were explored that loop might come in useful, but there'd not be a corresponding loop going the other way.

Updated 2.002.2023

Work on the Dore loop/chord is progressing with soil nailing below West View Lane flats and then widening further along below Poynton Wood to connect with the existing track through Dore Tunnel to Dore South Junction.

20230220_165046.jpg 20230220_165122.jpg

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
28th February views showing Bamford loop progress taken from road overbridge at Bamford. First is telephoto view. Both turnouts now in, still a lot to do in between and signalling work in progress

Second seems to show some compensatory tree planting to the left on Sickleholme Golf Course.

20230228_145730.jpg 20230228_145932.jpg

Killingworth

Established Member
Progress with the Bamford loop on 16th March.

The first picture is taken from Jaggers Lane road bridge at Grindleford looking downhill towards Bamford station and the road bridge.

The second is from that road bridge at Bamford station looking uphill towards Hathersage. The gradient doesn't look too steep and is barely noticeable without considering these telephoto shots.

20230316_134857.jpg20230316_140245.jpg

railfan99

Established Member

Killingworth

Established Member
Last weekend was a bit chilly on the sites! The Hope Valley line was blocked by multiple fallen trees, their branches laden down with heavy snow.

20230310_114552.jpgWP_20230310_12_55_30_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Killingworth

Established Member
Is that just an illusion or is there really no difference in height of the snow between the platform and the track?
It's an illusion, although it was about a foot deep just after it stopped snowing. It had already started to melt by the time I'd got out and down the hill to take pictures. it only lasted 48 hours.

dggar

Excuse my ignorance, as this may well have been answered before,
What length of train can be held in the loop?

Nottingham59

Established Member
Excuse my ignorance, as this may well have been answered before,
1km I think

"A 1km-long railway loop between Bamford and Hathersage"

InOban

Established Member
I assume that the working length will be somewhat lower. AIR 775m is the new standard for heavy freight?

The telephoto lens makes appear much shorter

zwk500

Veteran Member
I assume that the working length will be somewhat lower. AIR 775m is the new standard for heavy freight?

The telephoto lens makes appear much shorter
Yes, 775m is the European standard length for freight. I'm fairly sure the loop has been designed for that length.

td97

Established Member
The gradient doesn't look too steep and is barely noticeable without considering these telephoto shots.
Less than 1% incline.

Last weekend was a bit chilly on the sites! The Hope Valley line was blocked by multiple fallen trees, their branches laden down with heavy snow.
Challenging construction at the Dore Loop retaining wall - apparently minor landslips have occurred.

1km I think
Yes, 775m is the European standard length for freight. I'm fairly sure the loop has been designed for that length.
It looks like they might have changed the plans between 2018 and 2022 ...
640m standage + 20m signal standback + 20m rear clearance

8stewartt

I’m still not sure I understand the thinking behind this. You’ve got a 2500T freight, gets going from Chinley, struggles climbing over the top at Cowburn, just about hits 60 before Bamford, with enough momentum to get up the hill to Grindleford, but then stop it and put it in a loop. Wait probably 10 mins for something to come past, then get it out and make it get going again?

CAF397

I’m still not sure I understand the thinking behind this. You’ve got a 2500T freight, gets going from Chinley, struggles climbing over the top at Cowburn, just about hits 60 before Bamford, with enough momentum to get up the hill to Grindleford, but then stop it and put it in a loop. Wait probably 10 mins for something to come past, then get it out and make it get going again?

It's a useful point to regulate if needed, say problems at Dore and you've got a freight en-route, plus if its going to be a passenger loop (no reason why it shouldn't be these days), would enable an express to pass a local service.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
You have to consider Bamford Loop in a wider context, specifically the minimal regulating opportunities elsewhere.

Any loaded stone train from the quarries can cause problems in the Chinley area if it is held on the single track chord from Chinley South to Chinley East or further back south of Chinley South.

Any southbound train beyond Bamford can only be held on the (to be extended) single track curve from Dore West to Dore South if it can't get a clear run straight out towards Dronfield across both Midland Main Line tracks. Obviously if it is held on the curve it will baulk any westbound freight needing to clear the MML in the opposite direction. If it is held back at Dore West it then stops following passenger or freight services towards Dore Station.

So, the trick is going to be holding the loaded train in Bamford Loop until the point that it can hopefully be given a clear path straight through towards Dronfield. The fact that Bamford loop is on a little hummock between 1:120 uphill into 1:200 downhill into a little dip before Hathersage and has fairly high speed pointwork should enable trains to 'get away' moderately well. Far better than an awful, flange graunching start from rest on the tight Dore South Curve into 1:100 up through Bradway Tunnel with the exhaust reverberating off the brickwork.

No doubt it will take a little while before signallers, timetablers and drivers perfect the knack but Bamford Loop is a sound idea.

Last edited: