• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hope Valley Capacity Scheme updates

EZJ

Drivers at TPE have now been told due to an "error" by Network Rail 185's will not be currently running at MU speeds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jozhua

Established Member
Given the millions of tonnes of freight on the Hope Valley line, I doubt it is axle loading on a slightly heavier than normal DMU causing the problem.

Possibly a case of braking distances etc?
Possibly to do with unsprung weight?
Drivers at TPE have now been told due to an "error" by Network Rail 185's will not be currently running at MU speeds.
The initial email sounded speculative in nature anyway from what commentors are saying. I certainly wouldn't make any changes until I saw something concrete.

snowball

Established Member
Another press release

A new footbridge has been installed in Dore & Totley as part of the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade

It’s the latest milestone reached at Dore & Totley station which will see improvements for rail passengers travelling between Manchester and Sheffield.

Six staircase units, each weighing 11.2t, were lifted into place using a 200t road mobile crane, before the main bridge span was installed, weighing 14.5t and 15m in length.

The new structure will lead passengers onto a second platform, which is currently being restored over 30 years after the original island platform was demolished in the 1980s.

Accessibility has been at the forefront of the work, with two working lifts included as part of the bridge design.

Over the past two years, Network Rail and the contractor, VolkerRailStory JV, have also met with local disability groups to gain feedback on more detailed elements of the station build.

Changes have been incorporated as a result, including additional tactile wayfinding on the platform and brighter colour bands on lighting posts to aid those with visual impairments.

The station upgrades, which also include the installation of new track, will help to facilitate longer trains with more carriages and improve the reliability of passenger journeys.

The work is planned to be completed at the end of a 9-day railway line closure at the end of March.

Killingworth

Established Member
Another press release

Which totally winds up Sheffield area users and those local residents who have endured 2 years of construction work that was, back at the 2013 first public consultation, going to deliver 2 extra fast trains an hour between Sheffield and Manchester by 2018.

That was watered down to 3 paths in 2015 and has subsequently become an almost total wash out to "longer trains with more carriages and improve the reliability of passenger journeys."

Longer trains, TPE 6 car (and now EMR) have been stopping at single 4 car platform Dore for several years!

Sheffield users are wanting to know how much this is going to cut off their journey times. Those who know the line can see very clearly that improved reliability would indeed be a big benefit, but very many of the delays are not from the section currently being improved - they're imported from west of Stockport and east and south of Sheffield.

There is great excitement in social media around Dore & Totley. The new bridge is very noticeable in a way the old station never was even when it had 4 platforms. A few absolutely hate/loathe/detest the new eyesore bridge. A lot more are welcoming it, not a few loving it.

Expectations of more services are very high, in particular at least a second hourly train into Sheffield from Dore. Unrealistic expectations of services on the MML are fairly easy to rebuff. (Trains to London never stopped at Dore. Even if platforms 3 and 4 plus 4 tracks into Sheffield were restored that would be all but impossible - it won't happen.)

Local residents want to know why they've been put through well over 10 years of anticipation (in truth it goes back more than 20) and 2 years of major disruption for, currently, absolutely nothing!

Meanwhile a points failure tonight, apparently at Dore, has blocked the line for over 2 hours causing passengers to be advised to travel via Leeds!

Last edited:

td97

Established Member

ricoblade

I hope they replace or don’t remove the seats at the south end, even though they’re in the open. The leaning benches in the shelter are useless.

Killingworth

Established Member
For what it's worth, the surfacing on the existing platform is complete and that is how it is expected to be left. Shame there is no levelling up funding to resurface the other half.
I haven't seen that yet but was told last weekend it would all be done to match.

I hope they replace or don’t remove the seats at the south end, even though they’re in the open. The leaning benches in the shelter are useless.
There are more seats to come and the group at the south end should be staying.

Killingworth

Established Member
This last weekend saw more activity in the Dore area additional to work during the week.

At the station itself the most noticeable change was felling of the large leylandii by the platform entrance. It had been towering over the old station building and the new footbridge. The 1985 waiting shelter has been demolished leaving no covered seats.

The Dore West Junction and loop work is proceeding through a quagmire.

The target date of 25th March is getting very close. It's looking a very difficult job to complete the loop in time so all credit to those responsible.

20240211_161231.jpg 20240211_163704a.jpg

AndrewE

Established Member
That bridge seems quite visually intrusive to me... 2 questions:
a) couldn't it have been (maybe) pale green
and b) does it really need to be that high? Is the height the outcome of (rumoured) over-interpretation or just misunderstood/mistaken application of OLE clearances?

fishwomp

I think it looks really fitting - Great choice - very traditional colour scheme for Midland. What's with green, are you from Southern or GWR?
and b) does it really need to be that high? Is the height the outcome of (rumoured) over-interpretation or just misunderstood/mistaken application of OLE clearances?
Yes., it is a bit tall.. Ultimately all railway bridges are intrusive, viaducts too - Ribblehead isn't invisible - some structures are just "good intrusive"

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Future-proofing? Also does it look high because of its roof and maybe the lift towers too. Any photos with a train in the platform?
Probably needs to be high enough that any future OLE (less unlikely here than in many other places) fully meets the standard for clearance from the platform surface. Where pre-existing structures limit the clearance then a lower value might be accepted, but it wouldn't be for a new structure.

Killingworth

Established Member
Probably needs to be high enough that any future OLE (less unlikely here than in many other places) fully meets the standard for clearance from the platform surface. Where pre-existing structures limit the clearance then a lower value might be accepted, but it wouldn't be for a new structure.

One of the consolations for losing HS2 was electrification of the Hope Valley line. Cue hollow laughter in Sheffield where MML electrification was to be by 2030 but has slipped to early 2030s - more likely mid/late 2030s at current rate of progress.

However it has been suggested that token wires might be included with MML work through the station towards Totley Tunnel. All total speculation but all new bridges have to be built high enough for future wiring no matter how long it may be before it comes.

On design, thats the basic standard bridge with brick faced towers in brick to match the old station. Attempts to get it to mirror the previous lattice bridge failed because the station is not in a National Park like Horton-in-Ribblesdale, although as a compromise the Midland colours have been used.

Local opinion is split in marmite fashion. Most like it but a vocal minority loathe/hate/detest/abhor it.

Seating will be in stark utilitarian dark blue with modern shelters totally unmatched to the old station, now in the car park for installation. A minority may like them but better have been installed elsewhere.

Is zoom/telephoto contributing to the appearance ?

Yes, see also my zoomed pictures in post 1668. Second picture in 1670 gives a better idea of size and scale.

Mugby

Established Member
I hope they don't spoil the new platform at Dore by providing nothing more than a bus shelter. Surely it deserves something a bit more substantial and user friendly than that!

Killingworth

Established Member
I hope they don't spoil the new platform at Dore by providing nothing more than a bus shelter. Surely it deserves something a bit more substantial and user friendly than that!

From what has slipped out so far there will be two enclosed bus shelters and one with no front face at all.

Nottingham59

Established Member
However it has been suggested that token wires might be included with MML work through the station towards Totley Tunnel. All total speculation but all new bridges have to be built high enough for future wiring no matter how long it may be before it comes.
One would hope they wire the whole delta junction. It would be perverse if a Class 99 hauling a heavy stone train couldn't use AC to get itself up the hill to the Bradway tunnel.

Killingworth

Established Member
One would hope they wire the whole delta junction. It would be perverse if a Class 99 hauling a heavy stone train couldn't use AC to get itself up the hill to the Bradway tunnel.

Bradway Tunnel is on the MML where Platforms 3 and 4 used to be and that is supposed to be wired. The bridge is on the Hope Valley line to Totley Tunnel and that may be wired, but costs will be a major factor.

Some have suggested that both the Dore chord/loop from Dore South Junction through Dore,Tunnel and the section from new Dore Station Junction up to Totley Tunnel might be electrified. A declaration of ultimate intent? But shoestring budgets probably won't even stretch that far by 2040.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Bradway Tunnel is on the MML where Platforms 3 and 4 used to be and that is supposed to be wired. The bridge is on the Hope Valley line to Totley Tunnel and that may be wired, but costs will be a major factor.

Some have suggested that both the Dore chord/loop from Dore South Junction through Dore,Tunnel and the section from new Dore Station Junction up to Totley Tunnel might be electrified. A declaration of ultimate intent? But shoestring budgets probably won't even stretch that far by 2040.
I suspect nothing's got as far as determining limits of electrification. IMHO the most likely outcome will be that overruns on each junction will be provided from the MML. These would probably be to the Manchester end of Dore and Totley platforms to allow bi-modes to change in the station, and far enough on the south curve to allow the freight to pan up while waiting for the road.. The only way I could see the whole triangle being wired is if there were regular turning moves required for operational purposes (I don't believe there are any, and electrification is unlikely to create a need for this facility), or if the wires were going further up the Hope Valley line (a long way out now).

However this is very off-topic so I'll stop now.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Yes the tunnel will be wired, but a stone train coming off the Dore South chord won't be able to use it if the pan isn't already raised.

GardenRail

Give it a few years and it'll be a pile of rust like the one at Swinton.

Jozhua

Established Member
In terms of OLE around Sheffield, that probably needs to wait until all the track going into and out of Sheffield station is ripped up and replaced, similar to the remodeling in Derby.

I would guess the bridge has been constructed to W12 clearances + OLE?

zwk500

Veteran Member
It's certainly designed for that, and it looks to be the modular design so it presumably has been designed to clear OLE and W12 clearances if it was based at rail level, which might explain the extra height as the platform height has added to the clearances as well. Worth pointing out this isn't necessarily a 'mistake' in double-counting, just a compromise of using a single standard design.

Killingworth

Established Member
In terms of OLE around Sheffield, that probably needs to wait until all the track going into and out of Sheffield station is ripped up and replaced, similar to the remodeling in Derby.

No doubt there are plans for remodelling Sheffield and they include some form.of 3 tracking from Dore. 4 would be very difficult to restore throughout but would be possible in parts. It's taken over 25 years for the current work to evolve so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for whatever finally emerges.

Aren't all new bridges built for OLE and W12 clearance?

Give it a few years and it'll be a pile of rust like the one at Swinton.

Hopefully the roof will keep rain off the steps and salt shouldn't be needed - although it seems to get thrown in many places it's not needed!

Jozhua

Established Member
No doubt there are plans for remodelling Sheffield and they include some form.of 3 tracking from Dore. 4 would be very difficult to restore throughout but would be possible in parts. It's taken over 25 years for the current work to evolve so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for whatever finally emerges.
I would guess three track would run bi di? Probably not so bad if the track splits before Dore & Totley, rather than having to share a single track through the station too.

Did services towards Hope Valley waiting for clearance to pass Dore often block the mainline waiting for the train coming the opposite direction to clear the space? Not timetabled of course, but given the frequent delays to the long distance services passing through...

Therefore the existing work will hopefully mean less prospect for knock on delays arriving at Sheffield and therefore make the bottleneck easier to manage?