• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Horden (Peterlee) Station now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger100

I think things are a bit of hit and miss at the moment. RTT accepts Horden and it is shown on the schedules of trains stopping there. But it's absent from the the schedules of trains that don't stop. E.g. the 2N41 2130 Middlesbrough to Newcastle doesn't have Horden on it's schedule at all but the 2N58 Carlisle to Middlesbrough does show it as stopping there. It's possible that 2N41 did stop, I don't know. It might take a few days for the NR data to sort itself out.

What is interesting from my photos is that the northbound platform is labelled 2 and the southbound 1. Most of the other stations on these routes are numbered the other way round. I wonder why?

Last edited:

YorksLad12

Established Member
If the app's pulling stations or other search parameters from an internal list (as opposed to a live search) it might need updating first. I see it in Northern's but not TPE's.

Anvil1984

Established Member

What is interesting from my photos is that the northbound platform is labelled 2 and the southbound 1. Most of the other stations on these routes are numbered the other way round. I wonder why?

If the Southbound is 1 then it’s similar to all other stations on the line. Trains in the Up direction (towards Stockton in this case) get labelled platform 1, trains going down (Northbound) platform 2. Obvious anomaly with Sunderland (Up 1&2, Down 3&4)

DH1Commuter

Looks good. A shame that covid will knacker the predicted figures for the first year, at least, but this should benefit the area greatly.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think things are a bit of hit and miss at the moment. RTT accepts Horden and it is shown on the schedules of trains stopping there. But it's absent from the the schedules of trains that don't stop. E.g. the 2N41 2130 Middlesbrough to Newcastle doesn't have Horden on it's schedule at all but the 2N58 Carlisle to Middlesbrough does show it as stopping there. It's possible that 2N41 did stop, I don't know. It might take a few days for the NR data to sort itself out.
Most stations that trains do not call at aren't in the data. Usually only mandatory timing points are.

bramling

Veteran Member
Most stations that trains do not call at aren't in the data. Usually only mandatory timing points are.

Out of interest, the station seems to be just plain “Horden”. Was this a change at some point, or was this always the plan? Personally “Horden Peterlee” grated for some reason, but I can see why it might have been desirable to have the name included. “Horden for Peterlee” would have ticked all boxes.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Out of interest, the station seems to be just plain “Horden”. Was this a change at some point, or was this always the plan? Personally “Horden Peterlee” grated for some reason, but I can see why it might have been desirable to have the name included. “Horden for Peterlee” would have ticked all boxes.

i think this was a late change. The on board PIS auto announce system has it as Horden Peterlee

edwin_m

Veteran Member
i think this was a late change. The on board PIS auto announce system has it as Horden Peterlee
Not a good idea to give a station a double name like that with no "joining word". Someone might think an announcement or visual display is indicating two separate stations "calling at … Hordern, Peterlee, …". If they are going to Peterlee they might then just see/hear the Hordern part as the train approaches and stay on for the non-existent Peterlee station.

"For" avoids this problem but can only be used if one places is much nearer the station than the other, which is true here. The ampersand (&) is generally used where two places are roughly the same distance from the station, but needs some nuanced pronunciation in announcements to avoid confusion with the "and" often included before the last calling point.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’d also asked about the apparent name changing a couple of weeks ago, with no real answer.

Political conspiracy theory? Peter Lee didn’t want his name associated with a Tory re-opening... :D

bearhugger

Passed through (& stopped obviously) today. A couple of observations were that on the way up to Newcastle from Middlesbrough on 156488 the auto announcements just seemed to say Horden but on the way back on 156490 it was auto announced as Horden (Peterlee). Also on the way back there was about a dozen cars in the carpark and approximately two dozen people got off.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Passed through (& stopped obviously) today. A couple of observations .... Also on the way back there was about a dozen cars in the carpark and approximately two dozen people got off.

That sounds a very good number, given the C-19 concerns.

Established Member
I'm on the way to Horden now. Around 40 people on this 2 car 156 from Newcastle, a lot more than I expected. Will report passenger numbers boarding+alighting at Horden

Established Member
3 of us alighted and 2 boarded.

Looked like around 20-25 waiting for the Newcastle service. Very good to see it's being relatively well used given the current 1tp2h frequency and the ongoing virus situation.

Established Member
How Many Had A Ticket ?
The guard on my train from Newcastle went through the train checking tickets, though she didn't seem to have a machine so not sure what she did with anyone ticketless

wallan

The guard on my train from Newcastle went through the train checking tickets, though she didn't seem to have a machine so not sure what she did with anyone ticketless
Had a Tyne - Tees Day Ranger Last Tues , Couple got on at Horden , Guard came round , No Tickets , No Machine , Pay at Destination , Sunderland

Roger100

I visited the station today, just to have a look around. So here's a photo of the shelter and seating on platform 2. The other photo of the unit 156451 heading south towards Hartlepool, shows there is a signal just before the bridge, NS7150, which I hadn't noticed before but has probably been there for years as it doesn't look that new.

156451 2N26.jpgHorden seating.jpg

DGH 1

I visited the station today, just to have a look around. So here's a photo of the shelter and seating on platform 2. The other photo of the unit 156451 heading south towards Hartlepool, shows there is a signal just before the bridge, NS7150, which I hadn't noticed before but has probably been there for years as it doesn't look that new.

View attachment 80706View attachment 80707
I need to go to specsavers, ( other opticians are available). I never saw that signal either, thanks for posting.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I'm glad you included the 'Hordern' sign in the second photo. It could have been anywhere otherwise. Ho hum.

Roger100

I'm glad you included the 'Hordern' sign in the second photo. It could have been anywhere otherwise. Ho hum.
Yes, it was paid for by taxpayers so I suppose an off-the-peg station is all that is justified. I don't think much thought of aesthetic beauty has been considered since Victorian times.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Okay, yes, I might have been a bit of an auld grump there. And I know they're expensive (no-one wants to go back to the B&Q timber decking platforms). But they could have softened all that metal, even if only just a bit. Mytholmroyd has posters about Ted Hughes. Other stations have artwork from local children. Dronfield has planters (or had, last time I was that way). It's the same with all those boxy apartments that get built in city centres.

Am I... old now? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.