• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby DCC trains stop "responding"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have a 395 hornby train that I have converted to DCC and it works :D but I have tested it on a test track (a few straights and corners) and when it gets a cirtain distance away from me, I try to stop the train and it keeps going at the same speed whiteout responding to any commands, inc emergency stop. I have changed different pieces of track over and the same thing happens.
I am using the select controller.

Does anyone know why this is?
Thanks
Mrredrunner100

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
It sounds like the command signal - the "pulse" through the track which tells the locomotive what to do - is not "strong enough" to reach the locomotive accurately. That sounds like quite a short distance - check to ensure all connections are tight and routine things like that. Also ensure that no wires are running really close to the track. If that fails, you will need to buy a booster, I should think. See http://www.hornby.com/shop/digital/dcc-accessories/r8239-hornby-dcc-power-and-signal-booster/ (though you may wish to check eBay or other sites to find a lower-priced one!).

hi
i did look at this today and it kept happening, and it is a very short distance about just over 1 meter i reckon (total test track length), i had a secure connection from the controller to the track and the train is picking up power and i think signals from the controller all fine. i had a look at all the wires around the area and there arnt any lying about. do you think it is the decoder which is causing this problem. i did install this chip yesterday and it was to replace one that a wire had came off the chip (after a week i got it) as they could be linked? and before the previous wire had came off it was working fine and when i installed a new one this problem came about. it is a london 2012 class 395 train.

mrredrunner100

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If it has only happened since changing the decoder and no other trains are affected, there is a good chance it is the decoder or the installation of it. You could try uninstalling it completely and trying again, or see if a new decoder does the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.