• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby Grand Central HST-News

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNERman

Established Member
I recently saw in a magazine that in a Hornby advert for their new HST's that the new GC liveried set would have the power cars WITHOUT BUFFERS!!!!<(
How can they do this?
It's like making a car and giving it no wheels or a 91 with no pantograph!
All of their power cars have buffers and it doesn't look right without.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I think the advert uses the old mould models with some photoshopping, although if rumours are true that the models are delayed due to 'buffer issues' then perhaps they have made a 'minor' error!

The 158 Man

I'd quite like a non-buffered version. Although un-prototypical, they look a lot better without them!

metrocammel

I thought this had been common knowledge for quite a while? I don't think Hornby have ever had a tool for a buffered version of a HST, so I wonder if it would be economically viable to manufacture a tool for one variation of the HST. Unless, of course, they plan to make some buffered IC Swallow sets (like the old 'Pinky & Perky' ECML pair), buffered Virgin sets, or the odd one out- 43080 in GNER livery.

BJMorley

Hornby have released a new tooling for the HST with all the latest features such as better lighting, opening doors, prototypical variations (Cooler & Engine variations, Back Guard's Windows etc.), but they have been seen to be taking a lot longer to tool the buffer fitted Valentas. And about liveries, it doesn't seem that Hornby have put any effort in to making new liveries this year, so I don't know if they will or not, will highly be likely to be Ltd Editions if they do.

Established Member
GC HST with no buffers why are they doing this, the only time its acceptable is if its a re-skin on a simulator like Rail Simulator or MSTS but when its a model you expect the best in detail (espcially as they cost so much these days)

Established Member
well this is gay
:roll:

hirnby wake up, this is the best model you have ever produced you delay one of the most awaited livery and now produce an advert with no buffers when the reals do have buffers, therfore the model should
I see you have completely ignored what people have said about having to make the model with buffers first, and only using the current model to give an idea of what it will look like :roll:

and now they are only releasing 1 HST livery in 2009 which is the wrong shade of purple!!!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
of course i am talking about the FGW livery
And how do you know the actual model will be that exact colour and not the right one when you see it in a shop or on a layout?

Last edited:

TGVDUDE

i'm sorry it's just my first impression i'm sure most of you have had bad first ipressions and the model sturn out great, i will get the FGW HST power cars nun the less

Sir_Clagalot

A sample was on the Hornby stand at Model Rail Scotland... WITH buffers (and a wrong number, GCs mysterious 7th PC??!!). If you look closely at the ad, only the blue/yellow PC is the new one, all the others are old style, including the GC one. I also got a date of July this year for their release.

Established Member
*not my image*

25022009229.jpg

Running number will need changed though, 43063 is one of FGWs :p

laseandre

Established Member
*not my image*

25022009229.jpg

Running number will need changed though, 43063 is one of FGWs :p

They may have had a decal left over, 43063 was one of the Virgin HST power cars offered with the last incarnation of the Hornby HST.

Sir_Clagalot

My pair landed this morning...:lol::lol:
Critisisms: Compressor is black (white), ETS bits are black (orange), no ETS bits on the front ends, I need to check the vehicles in question, but some PCs have Yellow gangway doors and surrounds.
That coupling is hideous, and its a shame the buckeyes wont actually couple together. Surprised there is no close coupling mech like on the 60s, at both ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.