• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hounslow Loop short platform query

AY1975

Established Member
Travelling on the Hounslow Loop recently I noticed that all trains, whether 8- or 10-car, had on-board announcements to warn passengers for Syon Lane and Isleworth stations not to travel in the last car of 8-car trains (and presumably not in the last three cars of 10-car trains) because these stations have short platforms.

At Isleworth, I noticed that at least on Hounslow-bound trains formed of 8-cars (i.e. pairs of 4-car EMUs) the doors on the last car did not appear to be released even though both sets of doors on the last car were in the platform. Does anyone know why this is? Both platforms at Isleworth looked to have been extended fairly recently, presumably to take 8-car trains. I would guess that it could be that the platforms were only extended fairly recently and that the platform extensions have not yet officially been approved to take 8-car trains.

The document linked from the thread on finding out station platform lengths at https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ny-train-carriages-platforms-can-hold.255245/ shows both Syon Lane and Isleworth to be able to take 8-cars.

I presume that when the Class 701s enter service they either won't be able to be used on the Hounslow Loop or will have to have the doors in the rear three cars of 10-car sets kept locked at those stations (assuming that they will have Selective Door Opening).

I understand also that the platforms at Chertsey were only long enough to take 4-car trains until recently, although the above mentioned document shows them to be long enough to take 10-cars and from the images on Google Maps they look to have been recently extended. The above mentioned document also shows Addlestone to be able to take 8-cars. Both of these stations are, of course, served mainly by Waterloo-Weybridge via Hounslow trains.

I would guess that this means that 10-car Class 458, 701 or 707 formations can be used on Waterloo-Waterloo via the Hounslow Loop roundabout services (on which SDO has to be used at Syon Lane and Isleworth) and on Weybridge services (where SDO would also have to be used at Addlestone), but pairs of 455s can't be used on any Hounslow Loop services because of the short platforms at Syon Lane and Isleworth.

Presumably in the days when almost all Hounslow Loop services were 455s, and before the platforms at Isleworth (and Syon Lane?) were extended, it was deemed sufficient just to make an announcement to ask passengers not to travel in the part of the train that would not be in the platform at those stations, and I would guess that after the requirement for SDO for all new trains to call at short platforms was brought in the 455s may have had grandfather rights for a certain number of years (maybe until they were refurbished in the mid-2000s or until the 450s or 458s entered service).

See also this short thread from 2017 about grandfather rights and SDO: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/grandfather-rights-for-selective-door-opening-sdo.142696/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Jumby 74

I think IIRC the only platform unable to accommodate 10 cars between Weybridge and Virginia Water, is p3 at VW (Up Chertsey branch) these days. All platforms that could be extended were dealt with seven plus years ago. ASDO covers any/all platforms that do remain short (including VW p3) with stock that is so fitted in 8/10 car format, and that is everything (EMU) other than 455's, which are open 'all' or 'none', be they 4 car or 8 car mode. That was the bonus of having ASDO as opposed to SDO, which remains on 158/9's.
It was also a reason that back in latter SWT days, 8-455 diagrams were few and far between on services calling Syon Lane (the worst place), as platform extensions couldn't be designed around the surrounding infrastructure, and an 8 car 455 was as tight as a gnat's you know what, and required very careful approach and stopping.

Last edited:

Top Cat

I think IIRC the only platform unable to accommodate 10 cars between Weybridge and Virginia Water, is p3 at VW (Up Chertsey branch) these days. All platforms that could be extended were dealt with seven plus years ago. ASDO covers any/all platforms that do remain short (including VW p3) with stock that is so fitted in 8/10 car format, and that is everything (EMU) other than 455's, which are open 'all' or 'none', be they 4 car or 8 car mode. That was the bonus of having ASDO as opposed to SDO, which remains on 158/9's.
It was also a reason that back in latter SWT days, 8-455 diagrams were few and far between on services calling Syon Lane (the worst place), as platform extensions couldn't be designed around the surrounding infrastructure, and an 8 car 455 was as tight as a gnat's you know what, and required very careful approach and stopping.
Both platforms at Addlestone will only accommodate 8 coaches

TEW

Established Member
8-car 455s are permitted to call at Syon Lane and Isleworth but it is a tight fit, at least one of the platforms may have a special 455 stop car mark so that they stop just right. They do have some diagrammed work on the Hounslow Loop.
Longcross is the same, only just an 8-car platform with special stop car markers for 455s. 450s, 458s and 707s will only release the front 7 coaches.

swr444

At isleworth towards Hounslow, a 450 and 458 were only just on the platform until the resignalling was done and the stop car marker was moved forward, hence the whole train now fitting on the platform (Bar a 10 car 458).

Goldfish62

Established Member
I presume that when the Class 701s enter service they either won't be able to be used on the Hounslow Loop or will have to have the doors in the rear three cars of 10-car sets kept locked at those stations (assuming that they will have Selective Door Opening).
Once the 701s are introduced they'll be the only trains normally used on the Hounslow loop. They'll use ASDO (Automatic Selective Door Opening) like the 707s, 450s and 458s current do.

Hopefully the ASDO will be by door rather than whole carriage.

AY1975

Established Member
8-car 455s are permitted to call at Syon Lane and Isleworth but it is a tight fit, at least one of the platforms may have a special 455 stop car mark so that they stop just right. They do have some diagrammed work on the Hounslow Loop.
Longcross is the same, only just an 8-car platform with special stop car markers for 455s. 450s, 458s and 707s will only release the front 7 coaches.
At isleworth towards Hounslow, a 450 and 458 were only just on the platform until the resignalling was done and the stop car marker was moved forward, hence the whole train now fitting on the platform (Bar a 10 car 458).
In which case I would guess that continuing to keep the doors in the rear car of an 8-car 450 locked at Isleworth towards Hounslow is a precaution in case the train doesn't stop at exactly the right spot and therefore doesn't quite fit in the platform. When I was there recently it was on an 8-car 450, and the rear car appeared to fit in the platform exactly but I suppose this may not always happen.

swr444

Once the 701s are introduced they'll be the only trains normally used on the Hounslow loop. They'll use ASDO (Automatic Selective Door Opening) like the 707s, 450s and 458s current do.

Hopefully the ASDO will be by door rather than whole carriage.
I can confirm that isleworth on the 701s has been set up at 7 1/2 carriages will open, so yes it’s door by door

Mr. SW

One-time Local Boy Here.
Isleworth Station is extremely cramped, crushed between London Road and Saint Johns Road. The embankment is also narrow. This was perfectly adequate in the days of Beattie well tanks, little wooden pink and brown 6w carriages and 3-SUBs, but I am unsure how they will ever fix the problems without spending heaps of cash. The way to the north east is barred by the London Road bridge, so that means the low headroom St Johns Road bridge will have to be knocked out and replaced by some steel fabrication. Syon Lane is easy, and I wonder why it has not been done. But I suspect there are more pressing situations such as Wood Lane Crossing (the slope of the road) and the peculiar platform arrangement at Brentford, etc. Maybe the investment planned for the West London Orbital (Overground) will address some of these. Just had another peek at Google maps and found that the underpass at Kew Bridge that once connected the existing up platform to the erstwhile North London Line northbound platform that ran underneath Lionel Road appears to have been blocked by a new development. Maybe I'm seeing things.

Ian Hardy

One-time Local Boy Here.
Isleworth Station is extremely cramped, crushed between London Road and Saint Johns Road. The embankment is also narrow. This was perfectly adequate in the days of Beattie well tanks, little wooden pink and brown 6w carriages and 3-SUBs, but I am unsure how they will ever fix the problems without spending heaps of cash. The way to the north east is barred by the London Road bridge, so that means the low headroom St Johns Road bridge will have to be knocked out and replaced by some steel fabrication. Syon Lane is easy, and I wonder why it has not been done. But I suspect there are more pressing situations such as Wood Lane Crossing (the slope of the road) and the peculiar platform arrangement at Brentford, etc. Maybe the investment planned for the West London Orbital (Overground) will address some of these. Just had another peek at Google maps and found that the underpass at Kew Bridge that once connected the existing up platform to the erstwhile North London Line northbound platform that ran underneath Lionel Road appears to have been blocked by a new development. Maybe I'm seeing things.
"The underpass at Kew Bridge that once connected the existing up platform to the erstwhile North London Line northbound platform that ran underneath Lionel Road" is now used as a match day entrance & exit to the new Brentford Football Ground. My boss moaned that he went to Brentford's new ground on a non-match day and the match day gate was not open so he had to walk over the footbridge and then back over the road bridge and along Lionel Road.