• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Housing development near Rose Hill: Possible impact on services in the area including Middlewood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furnessvale

Established Member
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #11 originally in this thread.

The government have allowed 1500ish homes to be built at Dunsfold just by Cranleigh yet they didn't make it a condition that the Guildford to Cranleigh line be re-opened. Tram trains would be just the job as they could leave the old rail line just before Cranleigh just before the built on section of the line and travel down the road to Cranleigh! As usual no one has any brains in Surrey where transport is concerned.
4000 houses are to be built at High Lane around the route of the old Rose Hill to Macclesfield line.

I have yet to see any move from government or anyone else, to demand the reinstatement of a comparatively short extension of the one engine in steam Rose Hill branch to a new halt in the middle of this development.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altfish

4000 houses are to be built at High Lane around the route of the old Rose Hill to Macclesfield line.

I have yet to see any move from government or anyone else, to demand the reinstatement of a comparatively short extension of the one engine in steam Rose Hill branch to a new halt in the middle of this development.
Wouldn't it be easier to open a new station on the Hope Valley line?
How far away is Middlewood Station?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

There are the two stations of Marple and Strines currently on the Hope Valley Line, which really do not offer service posssiblities to the High Lane area.

Middlewood, a station with no road access on the Stockport to Buxton Line, is situated between the stations of Hazel Grove and Disley.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Wouldn't everyone just drive to the existing large park and ride at Hazel Grove?

furnessvale

Established Member
The Hope Valley line hasn't got a suitable service to add a stop to, and in any case would be furtyher away from the housing.

Middlewood will probably be used by a few of the houses on the extreme south of the development but is still a fair hike.

A short extension to the Rose Hill branch would put a new turnback halt in the middle of the housing, using an existing service.

furnessvale

Established Member
Wouldn't everyone just drive to the existing large park and ride at Hazel Grove?
The A6 traffic jam is already well developed before Hazel Grove station, whose car park is already full.

The large park and ride serves the 192 bus, not the station. The bus then sits in the same traffic jam as your car would have.

dggar

My fantasy for this would to extend towards Disley tunnel and put in a cord to drop down to the Stockport Sheffield route. This would allow Rose Hill to have a direct route to Stockport.

snowball

Established Member
How near do the new A555 roadworks from Manchester Airport reach towards High Lane and would these pose any problems with regards any proposed new rail link?

No interaction. The most easterly point of the roadworks is about 500 metres short of where the A6 crosses the rail route..

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Middlewood will probably be used by a few of the houses on the extreme south of the development but is still a fair hike.

With the best will in the world, knowing personally of the walk required to this railway station with no road access, I cannot envisage any of the new residents on the proposed housing development even considering the use of Middlewood station. What percentage of car owners are there likely to be living in this housing development?

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
Splitting the thread is the province of the mods on here - so we will have to wait. Middlewood is but one option.

Take a spur off Reddish South and connect near Brinnington - now you have a real Stockport to Marple link with calls at Bredbury and Romiley. A curve just short of Bredbury onto the old Woodley line and you have a line pointing towards Glossop. Re-open Rose Hill to Middlewood and build a curve back to Stockport and you have a real south east Stockport heavy rail network waiting for car parks and inter modal. Too many crayons for today's timid planners I fear!

Established Member
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #11 originally in this thread.

The plan this idea was part of emphasised the need for infrastructure improvements around developments, though didn't specify what they should be.

Fortunately however, this scheme is unlikely to go ahead now - the politicians have been desperately trying to find more brownfield sites to placate their voters, and the whole thing will have to be rewritten now Greater Manchester's population growth has slowed.

furnessvale

Established Member
Splitting the thread is the province of the mods on here - so we will have to wait. Middlewood is but one option.

Take a spur off Reddish South and connect near Brinnington - now you have a real Stockport to Marple link with calls at Bredbury and Romiley. A curve just short of Bredbury onto the old Woodley line and you have a line pointing towards Glossop. Re-open Rose Hill to Middlewood and build a curve back to Stockport and you have a real south east Stockport heavy rail network waiting for car parks and inter modal. Too many crayons for today's timid planners I fear!
And there was me just thinking of a short extension of an existing single track one engine in steam branch line to a new GM style wooden platform halt approximately in the middle of the new houses!

I think you have just spent the entire SEMMMS budget, including that for the motorway bypass of Hazel Grove, on new railways!

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
And as I wrote the budget for the shortly to open Hazzle Grazzel to Airport section of the A555 I shall take the appropriate amount of notice of your comment.

If you want improvements - specify works appropriate to the need.

Chester1

Established Member
The plan this idea was part of emphasised the need for infrastructure improvements around developments, though didn't specify what they should be.

Fortunately however, this scheme is unlikely to go ahead now - the politicians have been desperately trying to find more brownfield sites to placate their voters, and the whole thing will have to be rewritten now Greater Manchester's population growth has slowed.

I agree that the development is unlikely to happen. Andy Burnham opposes the greenfield developments in the spatial plan on the grounds that there are sufficient brownfield sites. For instance Stockport Borough has a requirement for 1000 flats on brownfield sites by 2034 but more than half the target is already under construction. Manchester City Centre has already seen 15,000 flats built since the spatial plan was due to come into force in 2014 and has a target of 40,000 by 2034. Its entirely achievable to meet most of the greenfield allocation on brownfield sites. The Combined Authority wants the city centre to stretch from Media City to the Eithad and that would require 10s of thousands of homes. I would guess at least 70,
-80,000 assuming much of the outer parts are town houses and not flats. Until houses command a big premium over similar sized flats in the region I don't see why the greenfield sites need to be built on. The High Lane development is a particularly unsuitable one, its unnecessarily large. The construction of flats in city and town centres seems to be frowned upon by older citizens but they are not aimed at them and the demand for buying and renting them continues to be huge. I think there does need to be more of an emphasis on town houses though. In areas like Stockport the blocls flats being built are mostly about 4 floors, therefore 4 story townhouses do not take up a excessive amount of space and are suitable for families. Thats all a bit off topic, but I would certainly be gobsmacked if that development ever gets built. If it was it would be a great oppertunity to extend the line. It would only need single track, 1 platform and no extra signals. The line is very well preserved as a cycle way (which could be kept alongside the railway). Maybe £4-5000 per property in Community Infrastructure Levy would be enough alongside a very small amount of public funding.

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
Andy "what do I say today?" Burnham - master of the soundbite. Mind you, I agree that High Lane is one of the sites to be taken off the table. GMSF want compliant site owners and the High Lane crowd don't want this at any price - didn't know dairy was that profitable!

I am likely to disappear in a puff of smoke in about three years - green belt, but our stats stack up, and we all know that brownfield is a figment of the imagination beloved of the Tories. Selling off of public assets has been proceeding apace for over forty years now so the easy and cheap to develop is long, long gone. Our owners want in and all we need is a footbridge.

TommyD

My fantasy for this would to extend towards Disley tunnel and put in a cord to drop down to the Stockport Sheffield route. This would allow Rose Hill to have a direct route to Stockport.

In fact there was a plan similar to this put forward by Stockport Council many years ago. In fact so long that I can't find it on the internet!
The plan was to extend the Rose Hill line along the old track of the railway. There would be a reinstated station at High Lane then a new chord would cross the golf course to meet and join with the Buxton line (not the Sheffield line), with a park and ride station at Simpson's Corner.
Of course this idea is well before the idea of building the A555 but to my mind it still has some basic merit. I believe the original purpose was to join Marple with Stockport Centre. That chord would be a tight curve but the rest of it still seems eminently doable.

snowball

Established Member
Of course this idea is well before the idea of building the A555 but to my mind it still has some basic merit.
The idea of building what eventually became the A555 goes back to at least 1945!

Status
Not open for further replies.