• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How bad was your journey today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
While this isn't necessarily the fault of the New timetables, one journey I attempted to do today was rather funny:

Screenshot_20180522-151442_Trainline.jpg

I had to contact Doctor Who and time travel to make this connection!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
Today
Swr x 2, Hull trains, tpe, Northern X 2

6 trains - swr both on time, Hull about 11 mins late, tpe on time, 1 northern 7late, second train 2 early.

No complaints.

fowler9

Established Member
Currently stuck outside Lime Street for the second time today, hopefully not for fifteen mins like last time. Ha ha.

js1000

Same rubbish again. We had a decent service last week and have done for the last 15 years - now it's been utterly ruined. My personal opinion is that the Manchester Airport line is particularly badly affected and screwing the whole system up - simply put there are too many trains which are running and there are too many trains which are running late. No punctuality and no slack to absorb the hits. Add to that the Manchester Airport trains are getting delayed through Oxford Road, Piccadilly causing delays to every other train trying to get through Manchester. It just doesn't work.

Of the 16 services this morning from my local station, not a single one was 'on time' (within 1 min) and 10 were officially late (PPM = >5 mins). 0% on time and 37% PPM - that is absolutely atrocious. Any competent franchise cannot hide behind "we are training drivers" to explain that - that's a flawed timetable.

My mother has decided to bike it into Manchester. Another colleague is arranging a car share. Northern need to wake up because this is going to bankrupt them if this continues. Any franchise that is willing to risk its bread and butter commuter passengers really needs to question its purpose because the odd passenger or two to Manchester Airport is not going to make up for that. And why would anyone flying from Manchester trust Northern Rail to get them to the Airport on time to catch the flight at the moment? The whole thing is a complete mess.

Last edited:

hawk1911

Monday travelled from Stafford to Llandudno & back.

Outward journey (06:01 Virgin Trains to Llandudno Junction) ran on time; return train (19:34 Arriva Trains Wales from Llandudno to Crewe) was cancelled, so ended up arriving back in Stafford over 1 hour late. Delay repay submitted.

Severn40

Although there is a limited service due to electrification works between Newport and Cardiff Central, the 08:35 GWR from Paddington still managed to turn up at Newport 22 mins late this morning so the platform started to get very crowded. A similar occurrence happened on Monday morning (and in the evening from Central)....

B&I

Established Member
Same rubbish again. We had a decent service last week and have done for the last 15 years - now it's been utterly ruined. My personal opinion is that the Manchester Airport line is particularly badly affected and screwing the whole system up - simply put there are too many trains which are running and there are too many trains which are running late. No punctuality and no slack to absorb the hits. Add to that the Manchester Airport trains are getting delayed through Oxford Road, Piccadilly causing delays to every other train trying to get through Manchester. It just doesn't work.

Of the 16 services this morning from my local station, not a single one was 'on time' (within 1 min) and 10 were officially late (PPM = >5 mins). 0% on time and 37% PPM - that is absolutely atrocious. Any competent franchise cannot hide behind "we are training drivers" to explain that - that's a flawed timetable.

My mother has decided to bike it into Manchester. Another colleague is arranging a car share. Northern need to wake up because this is going to bankrupt them if this continues. Any franchise that is willing to risk its bread and butter commuter passengers really needs to question its purpose because the odd passenger or two to Manchester Airport is not going to make up for that. And why would anyone flying from Manchester trust Northern Rail to get them to the Airport on time to catch the flight at the moment? The whole thing is a complete mess.

It is about time that Manchester Airport stopped being treated as the centre point of the entire North of England transport network. Or if it is to be, it should start payig for the necessary infrastructure works

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
My journey this morning didn’t go well (nearly 1hr late) but as it wasn’t on Thameslink, I’m not complaining.

johntea

Established Member
Harrogate line seems to be suffering quite a few teething problems since the changes, not sure what is causing it quite a lot of 5-10 minute delays which soon start to add up. Also a complete game of bingo at the moment as to what will turn up, this week alone I've travelled on a 142, a 144, a 153 and a 170!

js1000

Judging by today's performance, Northern somehow run a better service when there's a strike. More irregular services but at least they are more punctual.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If it's that bad, why not move to somewhere like Hitchin, Letchworth or Arlesey? Certainly not right-time punctuality at any of these at the moment!

Just balancing the discussion :D

As you know, people who complain are much more vocal compared to those who have a good service.

fowler9

Established Member
Judging by today's performance, Northern somehow run a better service when there's a strike. More irregular services but at least they are more punctual.
Don't think there were any in to Liverpool so at least none were late or cancelled. Ha ha. I am lucky living near South Parkway so I had options.

asw22

Since Arriva took over Northern I have noticed that the trains on the Airedale line have got worse with delays and cancellations What used to be a 26 minute journey is timetabled at 28 minutes but in the last week has taken over 35 minutes every night since timetable change except on strike day when there were no trains after 6 pm.
I have not received any meaningful response from Arriva though other than we are improving the railway!

Parallel

Established Member
I was over an hour late back home today - another case of the connecting train not being held at Newport. It was leaving the platform just as we were coming in. 2 or 3 minutes and we would have made it! :(

fowler9

Established Member
Cheshire Lines and Lime Street are almost hilarious at the mo. Nothing for two hours in the evening peak at West Allerton. Got to Lime Street at about six and got off the train to hear of a Wigan service cancelled. I laughed to myself, not because it's really funny but it is just ridiculous at the mo, it started before the new timetable as well.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I ventured out to see how things were settling down around Manchester after a week of the new timetable but experienced numerous delays and cancellations on TPE and Northern. A possible trip to Clitheroe aborted and ended up escaping from Westhoughton by bus back to Bolton. Got home an hour later than planned after missed connection at Manchester Piccadilly following heavy delay along the Oxford Road corridor again.

I did find it slightly amusing that Network Rail have abolished the waiting rooms on platforms 13&14 at Piccadilly (which does at least give stranded passengers more room to mill about) but left the four Waiting Room signs suspended from the canopy.

A lot of very disgruntled passengers moaning about the new timetable, some worryingly empty off-peak trains on what should have been an ideal sunny half term day for family trips, and many clearly weary and despairing staff.

Sadly still seems a long way to go.

WestCoast

Established Member
I’m a commuter on the Manchester Airport line, basically I am now switching to the tram until they sort this mess out!

fowler9

Established Member
I’m a commuter on the Manchester Airport line, basically I am now switching to the tram until they sort this mess out!
The Liverpool to Manchester Airport service is currently massively delayed or cancelled.

fowler9

Established Member
Same again today again along with a large number of the CLC stoppers cancelled. Many periods the last few days when the only service running on the CLC route was the East Midlands hourly service and that was late.

beano900

Same again today again along with a large number of the CLC stoppers cancelled. Many periods the last few days when the only service running on the CLC route was the East Midlands hourly service and that was late.

The service on this line today was vile! I think records were broken for the number of people on an East Midlands train. I think it’s payback for me slagging TPE off. Now I’m wishing they were back.

xotGD

Established Member
Passengers left behind at Oxford Road tonight by 17.38 to Newcastle. Partly because previous train from the airport to Boro didn't operate and partly because Bolton passengers were told to get on and change at Victoria because their train was cancelled. Things aren't improving.

fowler9

Established Member
The service on this line today was vile! I think records were broken for the number of people on an East Midlands train. I think it’s payback for me slagging TPE off. Now I’m wishing they were back.
It has been for a while, a good few weeks before the timetable change as well. The few services that have run of an evening have been single Pacers as well when I've seen them. A few longer trains once everyone is home.

Can anyone advise on the situation on Platforms 13 and 14 at Manchester Piccadilly?
My wife is disabled and used to travel in to MAN from MIA using services which used platforms 1 to 12 at Piccadilly. This was not because of the long walk and poor lift access from platforms 13 and 14 but because of the perpetual overcrowding on those platforms and the pressure of people desperate to board the train she takes a long time to disembark from. She then had to fight her way along the platform to the lift. (For those from the South I found the crowding situation at any time of day was as bad as the Piccadilly Line platforms at Holborn at 5:30pm except there is no crowd control and at least 50% of passengers have cases, prams or children). This was before the timetable change and all the additional cancellation problems.
After the new timetable it appears the only train from MIA which uses any platform other than 13/14 is the TPE Cleethorpes service. With all the additional long distance services using those platforms I can only imagine what was previously a hellish situation on 13/14 has now become totally unsurvivable.
Incidentally she dislikes using Wilmslow because of the steps onto VT services on a time pressured stop and finds Metrolink very uncomfortable and unbelievably tedious from MIA (>40 mins with a change vs 11 mins direct from MIA)

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
This evening Northern will have managed three trains from West Allerton to Lime Street after 17:00. Pretty poor. If you live by mine they may as well close the station and we all get the bus.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Can anyone advise on the situation on Platforms 13 and 14 at Manchester Piccadilly?
My wife is disabled and used to travel in to MAN from MIA using services which used platforms 1 to 12 at Piccadilly. This was not because of the long walk and poor lift access from platforms 13 and 14 but because of the perpetual overcrowding on those platforms and the pressure of people desperate to board the train she takes a long time to disembark from. She then had to fight her way along the platform to the lift. (For those from the South I found the crowding situation at any time of day was as bad as the Piccadilly Line platforms at Holborn at 5:30pm except there is no crowd control and at least 50% of passengers have cases, prams or children). This was before the timetable change and all the additional cancellation problems.
After the new timetable it appears the only train from MIA which uses any platform other than 13/14 is the TPE Cleethorpes service. With all the additional long distance services using those platforms I can only imagine what was previously a hellish situation on 13/14 has now become totally unsurvivable.
Incidentally she dislikes using Wilmslow because of the steps onto VT services on a time pressured stop and finds Metrolink very uncomfortable and unbelievably tedious from MIA (>40 mins with a change vs 11 mins direct from MIA)

I used P13 and P14 on Tuesday, when services were disrupted in both directions on both occasions. Network Rail has demolished the former waiting roooms to create more space but this seems to have just made it seem more threatening, with nowhere to 'escape'. Definitely for the faint hearted or vulnerable. I saw a lot of encumbered people struggling.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Meanwhile, back on the trains today and I have to give a more balanced report. Used 16 servicies across Northern, CrossCountry, VTEC, GWR, Heathrow Express, SWR and EMT.

Despite the continuing carnage on Thameslink the ECML signallers got me into King's Cross early. Every train made PPM at the point where I alighted apart from Heathrow Express, which had a unit failure - nothing to do with the timetable.

Coming back north from St Pancras, connecting into the revised skip-stop Hope Valley service at Sheffield, I managed my fastest ever London > Home trip at an average rail speed of over 68mph! The excellent staff in West Hampstead box saw us bypass the Thameslink carnage again, offering us through Bedford spot on time.

Both Northern trains that I used had two guards on board - presumably assisting or training - so it is good to see the new timetable delivering on the promise to create more jobs as well as better journey opportunities.

Despite continuing problems in some areas there is clearly some good railway operating going on in many places.

Status
Not open for further replies.