• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How can I convince Northern Rail to act?

Status
Not open for further replies.

umontu

I want Northern Rail to improve a certain station with a ticket machine and proper disabled access. (atleast for a start.)

How could I convince them to do this?

(I think some of you will know which station it is, based off my previous rants :D )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
If your in a pte area find out what councillors are on the ITA and write to a few of them, they will be able to put heavy pressure on the company. Theres local rail groups in many area that represent passenger rights and desires that you can also use (find out if the station is covered by one), write to your MP and the company itself (so they cant claim they havent heard of the issue). But remember if its going to cost a large amount of money it (ramps, lifts, etc) it aint going to happen anytime soon.

boing_uk

Perhaps by popping yourself in an overloaded wheelchair, kick up a fuss at the station while recording the whole event and then get it up on youtube before you even get home.

Established Member
Funding for disabled access would most likely have to come from the Dft or Network Rail. As for the ticket machine, Northern should be able to easily do that themselves. Was at St. Helen's Junction a couple of weeks ago and Northern had put up a notice saying they had installed a new machine due to customer demands.

HST Power

Established Member
Call them. Write to them. Email them. Speak to station staff. Contact your local MP. Get a petition round, or get a load of people to protest outside the station.

umontu

Cool will try some of them.
Non of this should be hard for Northen, the next station on the line is almost 100% the same except for the lift there, that and the tlc it seems to get.

I did think kick up a fuss in wheel chair.

Established Member
You still haven't said which station you're on about - from where you live it could be in the jursidiction of Metro, so you could try them as well.

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not about kicking up a fuss in a wheelchair but I see little point in that - especially if someone was to find out you actually didn't need to use a wheelchair and were telling lies. A more appropriate thing to do would be to look for disabled persons groups in your local area or for the line the station is on and contact them.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Why do they have to provide a lift. If you have mobility issues, then they have a duty to provide a reasonable alternative.

HST Power

Established Member
Why do they have to provide a lift. If you have mobility issues, then they have a duty to provide a reasonable alternative.

I suppose it's the easiest way of getting disabled passengers to the platform. All stations should have good mobility access.

I want Northern Rail to improve a certain station with a ticket machine and proper disabled access. (atleast for a start.)

(I think some of you will know which station it is, based off my previous rants :D )

You write to them - if you're not sure about it get someone who knows to check the spelling and grammar, it looks much better that way - and quote some genuine - not imaginary, theorised or claimed - figures for the numbers of passengers using the station and requiring tickets which cannot be issued on the train due to either non ticket issuing staff being on the train or tickets which require a complicated issuing protocol.
Now, in the same letter do the same thing with the numbers - again, actual not imaginary, theorised and imagined - of passengers who require a disabled access facility. Ascertain the appropriate piece of the disabled person's act - or whatever that it's called - and quote that.
Address and send copies to the person who is the local manager for the station, the head honcho of the company, the local council and your M.P. Also, get your local rag involved, they all hate railways and they'll be only too happy to make themselves a nuisance with the T.O.C. involved.
But remember, get your facts right, or they'll tear you apart!

Last edited:

bluenoxid

Established Member
They won't tear him apart, they will just put it on the too difficult pile.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

I'd say you personally can't. If you contact Northern they'll send you a generic response and no action will be taken.

If the station is in a PTE area then contact the PTE opposed to Northern, otherwise contact your MP. If the line has a RUG contact them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.