• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How can I find out what sort of GWR 80x I can expect on a particular train service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colind

I am a wheelchair user and before the pandemic I was getting used to free first class upgrades on the new GWR trains because of the lack of accessible seats in standard class in the five car ones.

I am planning my first post pandemic trip. I am vulnerable for medical reasons so I'm keen avoid crowds and I don't want to risk standard class. I am perfectly happy to pay for first-class but if I am going to get it free anyway then there is no point in wasting my money.

I believe I have read that all GWR 80x have no spaces available for wheelchairs in standard class in the five car trains, but they do in nine car ones. Can anybody confirm?

Is there a way of finding out exactly which type of train will be provided on a particular service on a particular day? The journey I am planning is Tiverton Junction to Par.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I am a wheelchair user and before the pandemic I was getting used to free first class upgrades on the new GWR trains because of the lack of accessible seats in standard class in the five car ones.

I am planning my first post pandemic trip. I am vulnerable for medical reasons so I'm keen avoid crowds and I don't want to risk standard class. I am perfectly happy to pay for first-class but if I am going to get it free anyway then there is no point in wasting my money.

I believe I have read that all GWR 80x have no spaces available for wheelchairs in standard class in the five car trains, but they do in nine car ones. Can anybody confirm?

Is there a way of finding out exactly which type of train will be provided on a particular service on a particular day? The journey I am planning is Tiverton Junction to Par.

Any advice would be appreciated.

On a Penzance bound train First Class is likely to be just as crowded as Standard so there’s no guarantee you’ll be ‘away from Crowds’

There are standard wheelchair spaces in 9 car IETs. Daytime Penzance services (with the exception of early evening ones) are now planned to be 9 car IETs which is a change to pre-Covid as detaching of trains no longer takes place at Plymouth. However with the current ‘cracking’ issues on these trains 10 car IETs can often on the day substitute, there is no way of knowing this in advance.

There are also a number of direct Castle Class HST services between Tiverton and Par which may be quieter overall than a service which has run from Paddington.

Established Member
Is there a way of finding out exactly which type of train will be provided on a particular service on a particular day?
With the GWR IET fleet at the moment it seems to be a bit of pot luck in my experience.

The majority of daytime Penzance services are planned to be 9 car IETs however with the current ‘cracking’ issues on these trains 10 car IETs can often on the day substitute.
I thought there were a few that were planned to split at Plymouth? I've been out the loop in that area though so might be totally wrong on that.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
With the GWR IET fleet at the moment it seems to be a bit of pot luck in my experience.

I thought there were a few that were planned to split at Plymouth? I've been out the loop in that area though so might be totally wrong on that.

The first train of the day booked to split at Plymouth is the 16.04 Paddington to Penzance, the 17.04 also does but not in the main part of the day.

Established Member
Today's UP Penzance Pad's have been as followed, 10, 9, 9, 10, 9, 10, 9

Down have been, 9, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 5, 5, 9

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Today's UP Penzance Pad's have been as followed, 10, 9, 9, 10, 9, 10, 9

Down have been, 9, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 5, 5, 9

That looks about usual, the two 5s on the down are the two which divide at Plymouth.

As you say the daytime workings can fluctauate between 9 and 10 due to IET availability.

RPI

Established Member
Generally the end first class vehicle where the accessible space is located can be far busier than the rest of the train (I work these trains along this route most days) generally the standard accessible space on a 9 car is far quieter as most passengers tend not to venture that far down the train and if its a 9 car the the 1st class accessible area won't be on the platform at Par due to the short platform.

irish_rail

Established Member
First class is just as busy if not busier at the present time on the pad to PZ route. Id aim for a quieter train, regardless of the formation, for example the 0804 or 0904 off Paddington. 1004 onwards are all very busy right up until the evening.

Western Sunset

Established Member
You can tell on Realtime Trains if some attach/detach a unit at Plymouth - they'll be the 5-car ones. Though that doesn't necessarily mean that the others are all 9-cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.