• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How common is it for a Class 800 to push an 801 around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal_gee_man

I mainly ask because there are engineering works between Hitchin and Peterborough this weekend and LNER are diverting some trains round via Letchworth, Cambridge, Ely and then onto unelectrified track to Peterborough, whilst I guess the 800 will do it, I can't imagine it'll be too happy about if the train is busy due to no TL services or other LNER services between Kings Cross and Peterborough.
How much support with the single engine on the 801 offer? Screenshot_20210109-032034_Chrome.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Until December at least (not sure if it has continued since the timetable change) an 800/801 combo was booked to work King's Cross to Harrogate, with the Leeds-Harrogate section not electrified. Seemed to work fine.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Regular occurrence.

(And the trains won’t be anywhere near full!)

Metal_gee_man

Until December at least (not sure if it has continued since the timetable change) an 800/801 combo was booked to work King's Cross to Harrogate, with the Leeds-Harrogate section not electrified. Seemed to work fine.
And I suspect the inclines from Leeds to Harrogate are a bit steeper than the Fens of Cambridgeshire, Thank you, it just seemed unusual....and it's not
Regular occurrence.

(And the trains won’t be anywhere near full!)
I'd disagree as there are only 14 direct services or an hourly service between 8am and 8pm today, will anyone want to travel to Ely on a 387, then switch to a randomly generated EMR unit or maybe if the times are right a nice 755 whatever is running from Ely.

Last edited by a moderator:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
800/801 pairs were also routinely used on weekend diversions between Newcastle and Carlisle, during the recent autumn period. I’m sure it worked fine, it’ll have been mentioned in one of the threads somewhere...

Metal_gee_man

800/801 pairs were also routinely used on weekend diversions between Newcastle and Carlisle, during the recent autumn period. I’m sure it worked fine, it’ll have been mentioned in one of the threads somewhere...
I just guess they aren't the quickest and a bit noisy to keep the speeds up

big all

On Moderation
I mainly ask because there are engineering works between Hitchin and Peterborough this weekend and LNER are diverting some trains round via Letchworth, Cambridge, Ely and then onto unelectrified track to Peterborough, whilst I guess the 800 will do it, I can't imagine it'll be too happy about if the train is busy due to no TL services or other LNER services between Kings Cross and Peterborough.
How much support with the single engine on the 801 offer? View attachment 88390
about the same power to weight as a deltic on 6 or 7 coaches so may struggle:D;)

supervc-10

Do they not divide the train at Leeds, leaving the 801 there? I could have sworn I'd read something along those lines.

DannyMich2018

I just guess they aren't the quickest and a bit noisy to keep the speeds up
Yes and with just 4 engines for 10 carriages don't think performance is great at all, but I suppose Newcastle to Carlisle isn't a long way and Leeds-Harrogate shorter with low line speeds on this route too not so much of a problem.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes and with just 4 engines for 10 carriages don't think performance is great at all, but I suppose Newcastle to Carlisle isn't a long way and Leeds-Harrogate shorter with low line speeds on this route too not so much of a problem.

It’s still 3000hp for 10 coaches, with lots of axles motored. That’s plenty for that sort of duty.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do they not divide the train at Leeds, leaving the 801 there? I could have sworn I'd read something along those lines.
There was a thread last summer that emphasised a few posts in, (by quoting FOI’d diagrams), that 2 units (800/801) were normal. I expect splitting was a forum assumption:

ic31420

In the case of an 801 and 800 being tied together for a run over a non electrified route does the single engine on the electric unit provide traction?

In the event an 800 or 801 is running under the wires is the engine constantly preheated or does preheat have to be initiated some point prior to fire up?

YorksLad12

Established Member

There was a thread last summer that emphasised a few posts in, (by quoting FOI’d diagrams), that 2 units (800/801) were normal. I expect splitting was a forum assumption:
At the moment (observations from my eyrie overlooking Leeds Station) the Harrogate trains every two hours are all 5-car throughout. The Leeds terminators are a mix of 9- and 2x5-car.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
At the moment (observations from my eyrie overlooking Leeds Station) the Harrogate trains every two hours are all 5-car throughout. The Leeds terminators are a mix of 9- and 2x5-car.
Well yes, but a lot has changed in terms of service capacity since last July...

Status
Not open for further replies.