• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How could rail services be improved in the Manchester area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/manchester-recovery-taskforce-timetable-consultation.213089

Meanwhile, platforms 3 and 4 at Victoria are the optimum ones to use for anything coming in through the Chat Moss route and the Ordsall Chord, and possibly some from the Salford Crescent direction as well. That's a very wide pool of origins/destinations, there's no west-facing bays at Victoria to terminate those trains and platforms 1-4 are all better suited to Stalybridge services than Rochdale ones. So, while services from the Stalybridge direction could in theory use the bays at Manchester Victoria, in practice there are likely to be so many services from the west needing to head towards Stalybridge that there is no need for any more services between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge.

The only service I could see terminating at the P1 & P2 bays at Victoria from the Stalyridge direction would be the Huddersfield stopper and the Hull service. However they really should be the type of services that run around the chord and call at all stops to the airport, rather than an intercity service from Newcastle or Middlesbrough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daodao

Established Member
I'm not sure what 'historic Lancashire' encompasses.
Historic Lancashire includes Greater Manchester (north of the Rivers Mersey/Tame, so excludes Stalybridge), Merseyside (excluding the Wirral peninsula), Warrington (north of the River Mersey), Widnes, the current Lancashire (minus part of the Trough of Bowland), Furness and part of Todmorden (including its railway station).

The only service I could see terminating at the P1 & P2 bays at Victoria from the Stalybridge direction would be the Huddersfield stopper and the Hull service. However they really should be the type of services that run around the chord and call at all stops to the airport, rather than an intercity service from Newcastle or Middlesbrough.
I would terminate the Huddersfield stopper and the Hull service in Victoria platforms 1/2, but this is not what is proposed in the consultation. Running Standedge line trains round the Ordsall chord to the Airport is what causes many of the Castlefield line problems and until this stops, I can't see the situation improving.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
it would therefore seem to make sense for these to terminate at Rochdale but unfortunately I doubt the south-facing bay there is long enough for a 397.
The lack of OHLE would be one of several "slight" problems with that!

I would terminate the Huddersfield stopper and the Hull service in Victoria platforms 1/2, but this is not what is proposed in the consultation
Thus condemning them to be 3 car.

Which might be fine off-peak but (under pre-Covid loadings, which may very well return before this new timetable is replaced) at peak times that would see significant overcrowding.

BrianW

Established Member
importance to union connectivity
Now there's another complication/ consideration- yet another thing for Castlefield to accommodate?
Government has become concerned to demonstrate/ maintain/ enhance the interconnectedness of 'the union', hence the Irish Sea bridge/ tunnel/ Oresundish link.
So an expectation of links Wales-Scotland, maybe via Manchester?
If the 'target' is 12tph ew for reliability where might the 'best' destinations be, and what might best be linked through Manchester rather than terminating in Manchester?
I appreciate that this thread and the consultation exercise is about the here-and-now resolution of the over-intense use of Castlefield, it's appropriate to see it in terms of at least a possibility of it standing the test of time for a while.
Whatever is decided at this time will have to have political traction and support. I imagine the 'needs' of Atrincham, Bolton, Bury, Cheadle and Hazel Grove will 'trump' those of Oldham, Rochdale, Wigan, Liverpool or Sheffield.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Historic Lancashire includes Greater Manchester (north of the Rivers Mersey/Tame, so excludes Stalybridge), Merseyside (excluding the Wirral peninsula), Warrington (north of the River Mersey), Widnes, the current Lancashire (minus part of the Trough of Bowland), Furness and part of Todmorden (including its railway station).

I would terminate the Huddersfield stopper and the Hull service in Victoria platforms 1/2, but this is not what is proposed in the consultation. Running Standedge line trains round the Ordsall chord to the Airport is what causes many of the Castlefield line problems and until this stops, I can't see the situation improving.
It’s not Standege line trains specifically that are the problem, but the mix of services being funnelled in to Castlefield and the multiple directions they are coming from.

Jack Hay

In my previous post I misidentified the Cheshire East representative who spoke in the meeting. It was Craig Browne, the Deputy Leader of Cheshire East Council and Leader of the Independent Group on the council. He also chairs the Cheshire East Highways and Transport Committee.

Neither Warrington Council nor Cheshire West and Chester Council are directly represented on the Rail North Committee, so I believe Craig was speaking on behalf of all three Cheshire unitary authorities. Hence his focus on services through Warrington and from Chester to the Airport.

I don't disagree with anything that you say above, but I do want to correct this misconception about Mid Cheshire Line level crossings which is being repeated frequently and is untrue. The only issue concerns some accommodation crossings (user worked farm crossings) Network Rail have said that they wish to upgrade these before service enhancements are implemented. They committed to Mid Cheshire Community Rail Partnership which includes Northern Rail and other industry representatives, and to the recovery task force, that if Option C was chosen, these enhancements would be done by May 2022. This is on the record. Network Rail have the budget to do the work and it is in plan for this year. There is no problem with the level crossings. My beef with Councillor Browne is that he is objecting to consideration of Option C because he wants to protect the Chester to airport service. However that service is little used because of the long journey time whereas the busiest Mid-Cheshire station has half a million passengers a year. The Chester to Manchester journey time is not increased by Option C because Northern services would continue to operate via Chat Moss. Councillor Browne needs a kick up the backside and I intend to administer it, metaphorically of course.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Now there's another complication/ consideration- yet another thing for Castlefield to accommodate?
Government has become concerned to demonstrate/ maintain/ enhance the interconnectedness of 'the union', hence the Irish Sea bridge/ tunnel/ Oresundish link.
I suspect Westminster / TfN will think of this mainly as a Wales-England thing, rather than a Wales-Scotland thing.

There may be a case for through trains from Wales to Scotland, but I'd expect them to be from South Wales (á la old Crosscountry services). At the moment, travellers from North Wales have the option to change onto West Coast services at Warrington BQ or Crewe. (Admittedly not many services run direct to Crewe these days, and diverting Manchester services along the Mid-Cheshire line would scupper the Warrington connection too.)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The only service I could see terminating at the P1 & P2 bays at Victoria from the Stalyridge direction would be the Huddersfield stopper and the Hull service. However they really should be the type of services that run around the chord and call at all stops to the airport, rather than an intercity service from Newcastle or Middlesbrough.
I agree with you on the Huddersfield stopper, although there doesn't appear to be any reason to stop it running into Piccadilly (as long as it terminates there). I would however disagree regarding the Hull, Newcastle and Middlesbrough services. I don't see what makes the latter 'Intercity' and the former not. All three should be served by 802s/397s in my opinion. In fact, since on the WCML and ECML TPE serve more stations than LNER/Avanti, I would suggest that TPE (the Huddersfield stoppers aside) is really 'regional express' rather than 'Intercity' (although the Nova trains with their 125mph top-speed are potnetial Intercity stock).

Then I don't fully agree, since I think most services through Castlefield should run through to Manchester Airport / Styal (which would be outside historic Lancashire) to avoid crossing the WCML south of Piccadilly.

Why would the Huddersfield stopper (assuming use of 365s following much-needed but still awaited TPE electrification) running to the airport via Victoria and the Ordsall Chord be a problem? It is a local stopping service (and should, in my view, therefore be operated by Northern and certainly not branded as TPE) which can (and presumably is) be operated by stock with wide doors at thirds without that being inappropriate. Personally, I think a better choice for that service (if possible) would be to combine it with the Leeds-Huddersfield stopper and run it through as a Piccadilly-Leeds stopper (I can understand it going via Castlefield to the airport being an issue then, since the longer run out to Leeds increases the risk of importing delays), but if it isn't running east of Huddersfield then I don't see the issue with it going via Castlefield.

The lack of OHLE would be one of several "slight" problems with that!
Yes, that would be an issue, but one that should be resolved long-term (hopefully by 2050) as the route is part of the TDNS 'Core Electrification'.

I suspect Westminster / TfN will think of this mainly as a Wales-England thing, rather than a Wales-Scotland thing.

There may be a case for through trains from Wales to Scotland, but I'd expect them to be from South Wales (á la old Crosscountry services). At the moment, travellers from North Wales have the option to change onto West Coast services at Warrington BQ or Crewe. (Admittedly not many services run direct to Crewe these days, and diverting Manchester services along the Mid-Cheshire line would scupper the Warrington connection too.)
I agree with krus_aragon on this likely being seen more as a Wales-England thing, but for N.Wales-Scotland changing at Warrington Bank Quay does seem to be the most-likely to provide a swift journey and as krus_aragon points out that would be lost if the trains were diverted.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Councillor Browne is that he is objecting to consideration of Option C because he wants to protect the Chester to airport service. However that service is little used because of the long journey time whereas the busiest Mid-Cheshire station has half a million passengers a year.
All I'm going to say is I have my suspicions.
diverting Manchester services along the Mid-Cheshire line would scupper the Warrington connection too.
But you get Stockport and Manchester Piccadilly in return.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I agree with you on the Huddersfield stopper, although there doesn't appear to be any reason to stop it running into Piccadilly (as long as it terminates there). I would however disagree regarding the Hull, Newcastle and Middlesbrough services. I don't see what makes the latter 'Intercity' and the former not. All three should be served by 802s/397s in my opinion. In fact, since on the WCML and ECML TPE serve more stations than LNER/Avanti, I would suggest that TPE (the Huddersfield stoppers aside) is really 'regional express' rather than 'Intercity' (although the Nova trains with their 125mph top-speed are potnetial Intercity stock).
I differentiated between Newcastle/Middlesbrough and Hull as the Hull service is taking the semi-fast path, whereas the others are the fasts. However in practice it feels like there is very little difference between them, certainly between Manc & Leeds. Even the classification of intercity & regional express means little to anyone other than those who take in interest in the railway. If it’s a long distance service connecting multiple cities using an intercity train, it’s an intercity service.

However, I agree with you about 802s and 397s. The problem is running those trains through castlefield, for which they are not suited. In an ideal world, I’d have TPE focus purely on fast Liverpool-Leeds-onwards, 4 tph on 802s. Northern then focus on stoppers going around the chord.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
In an ideal world, I’d have TPE focus purely on fast Liverpool-Leeds-onwards, 4 tph on 802s
You can't run 4tph fast (at least, not at 15 minute intervals) from Liverpool to Manchester if you want to give any sort of service to the local stations between Huyton and Manchester. You'd need to have an overtaking loop somewhere in the Earlestown/Newton-le-Willows area.

daodao

Established Member
Then I don't fully agree, since I think most services through Castlefield should run through to Manchester Airport / Styal (which would be outside historic Lancashire) to avoid crossing the WCML south of Piccadilly.
You have misunderstood me, probably because my point lacked clarity. What I meant was that these services should just run to historic Lancashire from the western exit of the Castlefield line. Of course, from the eastern exit of the Castlefield line, they should mostly run to the Airport, with some via Stockport (but none onto the ex-GC lines out of Piccadilly).

Why would the Huddersfield stopper (assuming use of 365s following much-needed but still awaited TPE electrification) running to the airport via Victoria and the Ordsall Chord be a problem? It is a local stopping service (and should, in my view, therefore be operated by Northern and certainly not branded as TPE) which can (and presumably is) be operated by stock with wide doors at thirds without that being inappropriate. Personally, I think a better choice for that service (if possible) would be to combine it with the Leeds-Huddersfield stopper and run it through as a Piccadilly-Leeds stopper (I can understand it going via Castlefield to the airport being an issue then, since the longer run out to Leeds increases the risk of importing delays), but if it isn't running east of Huddersfield then I don't see the issue with it going via Castlefield.
The problem is that any train that calls at Victoria, Oxford Road and Piccadilly stations makes excessive unwarranted use of scarce station capacity in central Manchester. IMO, Standedge line trains should:
  1. run to Piccadilly (ex-GC platforms) via Guide Bridge; or
  2. run via Victoria (platforms 3/4) and then onto the Chat Moss line; or
  3. terminate in platforms 1/2 at Victoria
The 3rd option is only feasible for trains of up to 4 coaches, so should be confined to stopping services to Huddersfield/Leeds, which should be run by Northern. Passengers for the Airport from the Standedge line can change at Piccadilly. If any use is to be made of the Ordsall curve, it would be most useful for services to Rochdale and beyond, as promised in the Northern franchise specification, but of course that is dead in the water and is not considered in any of the options in the consultation, presumably partly as it means crossing running lines at Victoria.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
You can't run 4tph fast (at least, not at 15 minute intervals) from Liverpool to Manchester if you want to give any sort of service to the local stations between Huyton and Manchester. You'd need to have an overtaking loop somewhere in the Earlestown/Newton-le-Willows area.

Well I did say in an ideal world. Failing that, terminate two at Victoria, with northern stoppers being the services that run around the chord to the airport. Victoria - Salford Central - Deansgate - Oxford Rd - Piccadilly should be a pure commuter path, before heading down the Styal line (all stops).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well I did say in an ideal world. Failing that, terminate two at Victoria, with northern stoppers being the services that run around the chord to the airport. Victoria - Salford Central - Deansgate - Oxford Rd - Piccadilly should be a pure commuter path, before heading down the Styal line (all stops).
Well that's effectively what MRTF is suggesting, only with one train an hour continuing to run on the Chord to maintain direct connectivity from Huddersfield, Leeds and York (and beyond) to the Airport.

You can argue about whether that one train an hour is 'right' to run along the Chord, but ultimately it's happening, like it or not.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I differentiated between Newcastle/Middlesbrough and Hull as the Hull service is taking the semi-fast path, whereas the others are the fasts. However in practice it feels like there is very little difference between them, certainly between Manc & Leeds.
If feels like very little difference because there is very little difference between them, at least if the calling patterns listed on Wikipedia are correct. The Newcastle, Middlesbrough (Redcar) and Hull services (and even the Scarboroughs) all have exactly two intermediate stops between Manchester and Leeds. Only the Edinburgh service is listed as having just the one stop (at Huddersfield). Ideally I think some of the stops should be switched between services to give two fasts between Liverpool/Manchester and York (calling only at Huddersfield and Leeds) and two semi-fasts between Liverpool/Manchester and York/Hull (calling at Stalybridge, Huddersfield, Dewsbury, Leeds and Garforth avoiding the need to change to go between Stalybridge and Dewsbury), both at clockface half-hour intervals. The Hull service would continue to call at Selby and Brough and the 3tph to York would continue to run beyond there to various destinations as at present.

Not sure what you do with the 5th service, I guess it could be either a 3rd fast or a 3rd semi-fast to allow one or the other to be at 20 rather than 30 minute intervals or to make it easier to provide the clockface half-hourly pattern if (for example) the train to Hull can be 30 minutes after the one to Redcar but the return from Redcar cannot be 30 minutes after the return from Hull. Or you could drop it and extend/merge the Huddersfield stoppers into a through Manchester-York/Newcastle stopper (this stopper still should be run by Northern though).

However, I agree with you about 802s and 397s. The problem is running those trains through castlefield, for which they are not suited.
Unfortunately there is no reasonable option for Liverpool-Sheffield other than to have Novas or 158s or similar going through Castlefield, but it should be avoided where possible, at least while Piccadilly only has two through platforms (the extra two might allow more services with longer dwell times).

You have misunderstood me, probably because my point lacked clarity. What I meant was that these services should just run to historic Lancashire from the western exit of the Castlefield line. Of course, from the eastern exit of the Castlefield line, they should mostly run to the Airport, with some via Stockport (but none onto the ex-GC lines out of Piccadilly).

The problem is that any train that calls at Victoria, Oxford Road and Piccadilly stations makes excessive unwarranted use of scarce station capacity in central Manchester. IMO, Standedge line trains should:
The 3rd option is only feasible for trains of up to 4 coaches, so should be confined to stopping services to Huddersfield/Leeds, which should be run by Northern. Passengers for the Airport from the Standedge line can change at Piccadilly. If any use is to be made of the Ordsall curve, it would be most useful for services to Rochdale and beyond, as promised in the Northern franchise specification, but of course that is dead in the water and is not considered in any of the options in the consultation, presumably partly as it means crossing running lines at Victoria.
I still think something should use the Ordsall Chord (preferably fairly frequent Northern local services using 185s, 365s or some other suburban units) to provide for interchange between Piccadilly and Victoria (unless this can be done better by Metrolink). Rochdale to Manchester Airport would seem like one of the best ways of doing that although there is the potential problem of crossing the running lines at Victoria which is why I wouldn't rule out local stoppers from the Stalybridge direction using the chord.
Well I did say in an ideal world. Failing that, terminate two at Victoria, with northern stoppers being the services that run around the chord to the airport.
I certainly wouldn't be keen on the fasts/semi-fasts from beyond Huddersfield using the chord, my priority would be to link those with services coming in from Liverpool, North Wales, Scotland (TPE WCML services) where that isn't too great a performance risk. Where that isn't feesible, send the fasts/semi-fasts from Huddersfield to Piccadilly to terminate there. I wouldn't terminate them at Victoria because there is a different (wider?) range of destinations available as connections from Piccadilly so I think there's a benefit to having some Huddersfield services run to PICC and some to Victoria - as long as there is a reasonbly clockface half-hourly (or better) service to both.

Last edited:

Purple Orange

On Moderation
If feels like very little difference because there is very little difference between them, at least if the calling patterns listed on Wikipedia are correct. The Newcastle, Middlesbrough (Redcar) and Hull services (and even the Scarboroughs) all have exactly two intermediate stops between Manchester and Leeds. Only the Edinburgh service is listed as having just the one stop (at Huddersfield). Ideally I think some of the stops should be switched between services to give two fasts between Liverpool/Manchester and York (calling only at Huddersfield and Leeds) and two semi-fasts between Liverpool/Manchester and York/Hull (calling at Stalybridge, Huddersfield, Dewsbury, Leeds and Garforth avoiding the need to change to go between Stalybridge and Dewsbury), both at clockface half-hour intervals. The Hull service would continue to call at Selby and Brough and the 3tph to York would continue to run beyond there to various destinations as at present.

Not sure what you do with the 5th service, I guess it could be either a 3rd fast or a 3rd semi-fast to allow one or the other to be at 20 rather than 30 minute intervals or to make it easier to provide the clockface half-hourly pattern if (for example) the train to Hull can be 30 minutes after the one to Redcar but the return from Redcar cannot be 30 minutes after the return from Hull. Or you could drop it and extend/merge the Huddersfield stoppers into a through Manchester-York/Newcastle stopper (this stopper still should be run by Northern though).

Unfortunately there is no reasonable option for Liverpool-Sheffield other than to have Novas or 158s or similar going through Castlefield, but it should be avoided where possible, at least while Piccadilly only has two through platforms (the extra two might allow more services with longer dwell times).

I still think something should use the Ordsall Chord (preferably fairly frequent Northern local services using 185s, 365s or some other suburban units) to provide for interchange between Piccadilly and Victoria (unless this can be done better by Metrolink). Rochdale to Manchester Airport would seem like one of the best ways of doing that although there is the potential problem of crossing the running lines at Victoria which is why I wouldn't rule out local stoppers from the Stalybridge direction using the chord.
I certainly wouldn't be keen on the fasts/semi-fasts from beyond Huddersfield using the chord, my priority would be to link those with services coming in from Liverpool, North Wales, Scotland (TPE WCML services) where that isn't too great a performance risk. Where that isn't feesible, send the fasts/semi-fasts from Huddersfield to Piccadilly to terminate there. I wouldn't terminate them at Victoria because there is a different (wider?) range of destinations available as connections from Piccadilly so I think there's a benefit to having some Huddersfield services run to PICC and some to Victoria - as long as there is a reasonbly clockface half-hourly (or better) service to both.

Well I think we’re broadly I agreement. Although hypothetically, should Sheffield services continue to Liverpool, or should they terminate at Piccadilly? I’m in favour of terminating.

wobman

On Moderation
The problem with the proposed plan for TFW services diverting via Cheshire lines and stopping is the training, TFW have told TFN that they couldn't even start the training for this until mid 2023 at the earliest.
TFW have a huge ongoing and future training plans with new rolling stock and trainee drivers, plus other covid related problems.

That's one of the reasons plan B+ was devised, a lot of the plans look easy on paper but are very difficult to actually put in place.

Glenn1969

Established Member

Don't do it then. Run Rochdale line services round the Chord instead

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What is the current situation with regards to available paths between Stockport and Manchester Piccadilly stations?
Pre-Covid there were 16tph off-peak in each direction between the two stations, plus 1-2tph freight. In theory, with a 3 minute headway the line was therefore not too congested as there are at least 4 running lines all the way.

However the non-grade separated layout of Slade Lane Junction (involving the addition of 9tph from the Airport, together with the change from 'paired by direction' to 'paired by use') meant that in practice there were few spare paths. The platforming at Piccadilly presented arguably the bigger constraint overall.

Last edited:

SuperNova

You're constraining the Hull services to 3 cars, which provides an overcrowding risk and the wrath of Hull stakeholders. Plus reducing connectivity from Yorkshire into Piccadilly. Just no.

And the problem with this post is

1) Lack of capacity at Piccadilly
2) Platforms 1/2 at MCV don't have the length required for TPE services that aren't 3 car 185's
3) Northern units don't have the performance to compete with 185s and provide more capacity risk on the Via Diggle route and Northern drivers don't sign that route anymore.
4) Failure to connect direct to the Airport from Yorkshire/North East, which would be panned by all stakeholders

Class 170101

Established Member
You're exactly right. B+ is a timetable proposal cobbled together by politicians rejecting all the proposals that the public were invited to comment on. They do not understand concepts like the maximum number of trains through a corridor or the need for those trains to be closely similar in performance and in origin and destination for the theoretical capacity to be achievable. They promote their idea as '+' when the plus realty means squeezing through note trains than capacity, so they are voting for unreliability. And they are all, every single one, obsessed about having through trains to the airport and will sacrifice any number of regular travellers to other destinations to avoid losing the airport services. Never mind that those services are poorly timed for flights, or infrequent, or slow. They don't know that kind of detail. They are grandstanding and I hope the DfT can see this and throw out this idea. I would go further and suggest they abolish TfN. It has never made a decision in its live except to demand more money. We don't need TfN for that, we can do it ourselves!

I am afraid if you think the DfT in London are any better than TfN in the North at understanding the north's needs you are very much mistaken. The DfT aren't exactly clued up either.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
should Sheffield services continue to Liverpool, or should they terminate at Piccadilly? I’m in favour of terminating.
My opinion is that there should be a compromise, instead of Sheffield losing both the airport service and the Liverpool service (as you propose), or having 2 fast Sheffields per hour to Castlefield (as proposed in options B and C) I think that the airport service should go leaving one Liverpool service with the other fast Sheffield terminating at Piccadilly. I personally don't mind if that's Liverpool-Cleethorpes and Piccadilly-Norwich or Piccadilly-Cleethorpes and Liverpool-Nottingham/Grantham but I do think that the Liverpool-Norwich should be truncated at one end only (if at all).

2) Platforms 1/2 at MCV don't have the length required for TPE services that aren't 3 car 185's
3) Northern units don't have the performance to compete with 185s and provide more capacity risk on the Via Diggle route and Northern drivers don't sign that route anymore.
I know it requires new infrustructure that hasn't been funded (yet) but the main TransPennine route is in urgent need of electrification, and perhaps GBR will allow Northern and TPE to become a single concession with TPE becoming just a sub-brand. That would give Northern the 185s (potentially all of them if more 397s are ordered to run the Newcastle/Edinburgh services which would then be entirely under wires) plus the stoppers currently run by TPE could be worked by suburban EMUs (365s perhaps, or new units if we have to wait too long for wires).

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don't see how a tunnel would be helpful in the context of the Castlefield problems either, except if you want to make the Castlefield corridor four tracks throughout (if I recall correctly the platform 15/16 plans still had one section of viaduct which couldn't be widened beyond 2 tracks)

Yes HS2 will provide the terminal platforms, so long as Liverpool & Leeds services can access them, but they do not need a tunnel through the centre to achieve that. The tunnel should not really be a heavy rail line, but a rather a metrolink line (not for running trams down).

A tunnel sounds nice in theory but I really can't see how a tunnel would solve many/ most/ all of the problems

For example, if the justification for a tunnel is to take services off Castlefield then I guess you'd have one from the Airport to Salford Crescent? So removing the InterCity trains from Castlefield by running them through a tunnel? But that isn't the same as the Metrolink idea - I don't know how one tunnel is going to make a big difference.

A cross-city tram route sounds more of a priority IMHO - maybe the Atherton line to the Marple/ Glossop lines?

Still no decision published? They must surely be in serious danger of running out of time!

Saying that, and judging by the comments on this thread (which no doubt reflect the challenges the planners face) wouldn't it be better for a further 6 months delay than to get the wrong answer again?

All the problems being faced seem to me to be as a result of previous stupid decisions - decisions taken at the time which were (as one poster said above, sorry forgot who) going to solve the Manchester problems forever.

We need one main station in Manchester to stop unnecessary differing destinations of service and save money. Great! Let's close Central and reduce capacity at Oxford Road as we can run more to platforms 13 / 14 and use Picc/Vic link instead. We can also close Exchange and concentrate at Victoria.

Oh that's not worked. And there's no Picc-Vic link anymore. No problem! Metrolink's coming online soon which will deal with interchanges we can't move, and for the rest let's build a "Windsor Link" to move them to Piccadilly.

Oh that's not worked. Don't you worry! Now we have Metrolink, we can move more services to Piccadilly (if I were so inclined I could call it some kind of unpronounceable German name Hauptoffkbahn or something). Victoria can then be scaled back and made more standardised with better reliability as a purely local station. We can also release mega funds by selling off un-needed and unused station space to build an Arena.

But trains are still crowded in the peak. And now we have a new airport link we paid ££££ for. Just the solution! We'll just shift as much as we possibly can squeeze onto 13/14 and then onto the airport. And for everything else, we'll route it into Piccadilly and reverse it.

But trains are still crowded. And now every man and their dog is demanding direct services to Manchester Airport. Never fret! Let's just build an "Ordsall Curve" at a cost of ££££££, so that we can shove even more services through 13/14 on to the airport. That'll sort it.

It hasn't though. It's made it worse. And now we have three, five and six car sets that are always late, mess up the paths and end up with cancellations. Don't be so negative! All we need to do is re-write the timetable and issue a new franchise agreement with promises of yet more direct trains to the airport. Arriva say they can deliver it.

And we are now where we are, because of all the previous radical suggestions that were going to sort everything, but didn't.

What's the solution though?

You're right in that Manchester has had many infrastructure improvements over the years, but I don't know what additional ones it needs (other than electrifying existing lines)?

What it needs (IMHO) is a simpler network of services that maintain a good service from each line into central Manchester but without the muddle of hourly services that tie the whole region up

The infrastructure seems adequate - the problem is all of these unconnected hourly routes that mean that the timetable can't easily be re-written (because everything has fixed points at bottlenecks)

The whole timetable falls apart easily because there's no resilience because everything is hourly - e.g. there's a fairly frequent Manchester - Wigan service but it's made up of trains from Leeds/ Stalybridge/ Alderley Edge/ Blackburn... so if there's a problem outside Wigan then that impacts upon services through bottlenecks like the throat at Bradford Interchange or Stockport Viaduct...

...and means we have a lot of diesels spending time under the wires because they run from an unnelectrified place to an electrified place...

...which is why we also have the nonsense of the "nine trains per hour on the Airport branch but with gaps of up to seventeen minutes, because the large mix of hourly services mean that they can't be well co-ordinated

Fix the mess of services rather than spending hundreds of millions of pounds on more infrastructure (which would only encourage more daft services like Bradford to Manchester Airport) - e.g. if you matched up four Wigan services with four Todmorden services then you have two diesel destinations paired up, you make it a lot easier to bounce back in the event of anything going wrong (e.g. if there's a half hourly Southport - Victoria - Rochdale - Bradford - Leeds service and a half hourly Wigan - Victoria - Rochdale service that extends towards Brighouse/ Burnley then it's a lot easier to get your DMUs back into providing the "normal" service - rather than at the moment when a Wigan - Leeds train that gets delayed has no easy way to recover)

All of these stuff about four tracking through Castlefield, additional platforms at Piccadilly, tunnels... it'd be a huge amount of money and wouldn't tackle the main problem, which is our addiction to hourly direct links (some people seem okay about other people losing their direct links but get very hypocritical about their own ones!)

The current option B+
  • retains hourly train services to the Airport (via the Castlefield corridor) from here, there (including NE England/Scotland/Wales) and everywhere
  • abandons the principle in the original consultation (particularly option C) of regular 30 minute interval local services, e.g. by splitting the Southport service between Oxford Road and Victoria, so a second stopping service on the CLC line can't be accommodated
  • maintains use of the Ordsall curve for trains from the Standedge line to Manchester, which could be diverted via Guide Bridge to Piccadilly, further relieving pressure on the Castlefield line
  • makes little use of platforms 1 and 2 at Victoria, which could accommodate 4 coach stopping trains from the Standedge line.
IMO, it won't solve the Castlefield line problems. These won't go away until a radical decision is made to remove long-distance services from the Castlefield line and confine its use to local Northern-run services from within historic Lancashire, plus the Sheffield-Liverpool through service that has no practicable alternative route.

Good points there - I think your assessment/ prophecies sound fair

Well I think we’re broadly I agreement. Although hypothetically, should Sheffield services continue to Liverpool, or should they terminate at Piccadilly? I’m in favour of terminating.

As someone living in South Yorkshire, I'd be fine with the services terminating in the main Piccadilly shed - a through train to Manchester Airport/ Liverpool/ Blackpool/ Lake District would come in handy a few times a year but a reliable simple train that uses the same platforms each time would be be the main priority for me

(I think that the Sheffield - Liverpool link is more important to Liverpudlians who'd get annoyed at losing long distance links and having to change at Manchester to get beyond - I don't think it's as important to people this side of t'Pennines)

I am afraid if you think the DfT in London are any better than TfN in the North at understanding the north's needs you are very much mistaken. The DfT aren't exactly clued up either.

It may not even be about "London" being any better, but them being a good "neutral" arbitrator of all of the competing claims for paths through Castlefield/ paths into Pic rather than Vic/ paths to the Airport etc

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
You're constraining the Hull services to 3 cars, which provides an overcrowding risk and the wrath of Hull stakeholders. Plus reducing connectivity from Yorkshire into Piccadilly. Just no.

And the problem with this post is

1) Lack of capacity at Piccadilly
4) Failure to connect direct to the Airport from Yorkshire/North East, which would be panned by all stakeholders

Regarding the final point, it is noted that Newcastle and Leeds/Bradford already have their own airports, so should not be too controversial if there were no direct airport trains to Manchester.

Travelling all the way to Manchester when there are already airports in Yorkshire and the North East would be like me going to Sydney to do a weekly shop when I already have retail outlets a ten minute walk from me or a short bus ride into town.

Veteran Member
Regarding the final point, it is noted that Newcastle and Leeds/Bradford already have their own airports, so should not be too controversial if there were no direct airport trains to Manchester.

Travelling all the way to Manchester when there are already airports in Yorkshire and the North East would be like me going to Sydney to do a weekly shop when I already have retail outlets a ten minute walk from me or a short bus ride into town.
Except that in retail terms you are comparing my local Coop with a major hypermarket: neither LBA nor NCL has anything like the range of flights MAN offers (in normal times).

Greybeard33

Established Member

I don't disagree with anything that you say above, but I do want to correct this misconception about Mid Cheshire Line level crossings which is being repeated frequently and is untrue. The only issue concerns some accommodation crossings (user worked farm crossings) Network Rail have said that they wish to upgrade these before service enhancements are implemented. They committed to Mid Cheshire Community Rail Partnership which includes Northern Rail and other industry representatives, and to the recovery task force, that if Option C was chosen, these enhancements would be done by May 2022. This is on the record. Network Rail have the budget to do the work and it is in plan for this year. There is no problem with the level crossings. My beef with Councillor Browne is that he is objecting to consideration of Option C because he wants to protect the Chester to airport service. However that service is little used because of the long journey time whereas the busiest Mid-Cheshire station has half a million passengers a year. The Chester to Manchester journey time is not increased by Option C because Northern services would continue to operate via Chat Moss. Councillor Browne needs a kick up the backside and I intend to administer it, metaphorically of course.
The passage I quoted in my previous post indicates that the TfW service cannot be rerouted before 2023 because of TfW driver training issues, irrespective of the level crossings.

It appears that the Task Force regards implementation of Option B+ in December 2022 as a stepping stone, not necessarily the final solution for the timetable. It will not disadvantage the Mid Cheshire stations compared with continuation of the status quo.

Knutsford and Northwich might be better served by a second Northern local service, rather than a long distance service that might import delays and suffer from overcrowding.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It always makes me chuckle that there's a self-perpetuating hatred of the "everywhere wants a direct service to Manchester Airport" point. While it's kind of true, the real reason so many services went there was because of the wonderful confluence between space for terminal platforms and high yield travellers - i.e. people who are willing to pay more for tickets while taking up no more physical space on trains. The latter is really what the operators have always wanted, and the DfT have supported that through the franchising process. Look at it this way, if you can attract a marginal Bolton to Manchester commuter you generate one low yield season ticket holder. But attract one air passenger from Lancaster and you've used the same central Manchester capacity but in return can generate a much greater yield, or sell a very expensive Anytime ticket or have the option of upselling them to First Class - someone who turns up on the day and buys a First Class single from Lancaster to Manchester Airport is likely to earn the industry a whole £33.80, rather than £3ish for Bolton to Manchester.

SuperNova

I know it requires new infrustructure that hasn't been funded (yet) but the main TransPennine route is in urgent need of electrification, and perhaps GBR will allow Northern and TPE to become a single concession with TPE becoming just a sub-brand. That would give Northern the 185s (potentially all of them if more 397s are ordered to run the Newcastle/Edinburgh services which would then be entirely under wires) plus the stoppers currently run by TPE could be worked by suburban EMUs (365s perhaps, or new units if we have to wait too long for wires).
Firstly, the transpennine route upgrade is happening but will take at least until the end of this decade to be completed. Secondly, given that TPE have a National Rail Contract, it's fairly safe to say that TPE won't become part of an arguably too large Northern operation and given the seeming restructure and job vacancies that have been going, it's not suddenly going to me amalgamated by another operator.

What you're suggesting is speculative at best and still doesn't take into account the actual facts of the matter. Victoria's east facing bays don't provide the capacity required, Northern drivers no longer sign via Diggle and there'd need to be either a major cascade of rolling stock or new rolling stock ordered. None of which is the point of MRTF, a short-term solution until appropriate infrastructure projects are built.

Problem with this analogy is that from Manchester Airport, you can fly to Sydney via Dubai. From Leeds Bradford, you go wherever Jet 2 take you. They're not comparable and don't even take into account some of the biggest areas of inward tourism which come via Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.