• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How could services to and via Birmingham be sped up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
With two of the platforms shut you can wait for up to 5 minutes arriving from both the west and the east, most services have a sufficient dwell time to cover for this however services that struggle in particular are the Birmingham to Shrewsbury WMR service which have a 6 minute turn around and therefore the staff in the ROC tries to give them a clear run into the station.
Saltley isn't a ROC, likes to be called a signalling centre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philosopher

Established Member
Which services are you removing completely from the timetable to make room for these 3 minutes?
The fast Avanti services are scheduled to arrive into Birmingham New Street at xx:56. In my experience though they tend to arrive at xx:59, so the arrival time in Birmingham New Street should be changed to reflect this. Arrival and departure times at Coventry and Birmingham International would remain as they are currently .

The Planner

Veteran Member
The fast Avanti services are scheduled to arrive into Birmingham New Street at xx:56. In my experience though they tend to arrive at xx:59, so the arrival time in Birmingham New Street should be changed to reflect this. Arrival and departure times at Coventry and Birmingham International would remain as they are currently .
No it shouldnt, you find out the cause of the delay first. You do not randomly add time in if it doesnt need it. The issue is more likely the reliability of the Bournemouth Manchester infront of it.

philosopher

Established Member
No it shouldnt, you find out the cause of the delay first. You do not randomly add time in if it doesnt need it. The issue is more likely the reliability of the Bournemouth Manchester infront of it.
In that case you might as well advocate the removal of padding from all timetabled services. Sure, it speed up a lot of services, but I doubt the punctuality statistics afterwards would look too good!

The Planner

Veteran Member
In that case you might as well advocate the removal of padding from all timetabled services. Sure, it speed up a lot of services, but I doubt the punctuality statistics afterwards would look too good!
Ah, the good old padding in every train. That doesn't exist in the vast vast majority of services.

Status
Not open for further replies.