• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Deep is the Tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the "deepest tube line" the one which is the deepest below sea level (Jubilee line at Waterloo?), or the one which is the deepest below the local ground level (Northern Line at Hampstead?), or, indeed, somewhere else? :?:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is the "deepest tube line" the one which is the deepest below sea level (Jubilee line at Waterloo?), or the one which is the deepest below the local ground level (Northern Line at Hampstead?)
It is up to the person defining the question, but usually the question refers to the depth as measured against ground level, rather than sea level.

or, indeed, somewhere else? :?:
The ground level at the buffers at Ongar? ;) (I'll get my coat..)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Very interesting - I've always wondered how steep some sections are, especially for areas that are above ground and then only 10-15 minutes later you're in the depth of a tunnel.

Caboose Class

This thread got me thinking (and Googling) about the depth of other underground systems in the world. Here are the results:-

CountryCityStationDepth (m)
UKLondonHampstead58
Hong KongHong KongHKU70
USAPortlandWashington Park79
RussiaMoscowPark Pobedy84
ChinaChongqingHongtudi94
UkraineKievArsenalna106
North KoreaPyongyangYonggwang?110?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
This thread got me thinking (and Googling) about the depth of other underground systems in the world. Here are the results:-

UKLondonHampstead58
Hong KongHong KongHKU70
ChinaChongqingHongtudi94
UkraineKievArsenalna106

Guessing this is relative depth as opposed to absolute then?

Mikey C

Established Member
Anyone else now got the Bee Gees song stuck in their head?

"How deep is the tube, how deep is the tube, I really need to know" :D

EC Traveller

Very interesting (from an occasional pax point of veiw).

My question, to tube drivers; do you feel those gradients all day - thinking uphill would be more noticeable, but offset by local rises/falls and the stations themselves.

Taunton

Established Member
Is the DLR at Bank further below sea level than the furthest below Underground, the Jubilee at Waterloo? It always seems a long way further down from the Northern Line platforms.

I wonder what constitutes ground/street level at Highgate, where you go a long way down from Archway Road into a cutting while still outside. Is it to the street exit from that long outdoor escalator?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is the DLR at Bank further below sea level than the furthest below Underground, the Jubilee at Waterloo? It always seems a long way further down from the Northern Line platforms.

I wonder what constitutes ground/street level at Highgate, where you go a long way down from Archway Road into a cutting while still outside. Is it to the street exit from that long outdoor escalator?
ooh good question- and with other systems, are there stations similar to the (mainline) station in places such as Sanremo in Italy, where the line is underground but the station entrance is about the same height above sea level as the platforms?

Taunton

Established Member
Strangely, I thought of San Remo in Italy as well, along with Monaco just along the line the same. Both previously had the main line running along just above the seashore at the base of the cliffs, but with urban development all around were moved to new tunneled routes, with underhround station, somewhat inland. The line is obviously still at the same level above the sea, and both have somewhat level passage access to the platforms, but the distance below ground level at the point of the platforms must be substantial.

Lee_Again

Thank you.

I presume it is your own work? Impressive!
Not mine. Just a link to a public website. I've no idea who created them. I'm sure the site will contains details of the author. They are great though.

Is the "deepest tube line" the one which is the deepest below sea level (Jubilee line at Waterloo?), or the one which is the deepest below the local ground level (Northern Line at Hampstead?), or, indeed, somewhere else? :?:
I think the generally accepted measure is based on how much dirt you'd have to dig through to reach the surface (from the tunnel). I'm sure there are lines nearer the centre of the earth than Hampstead, after all, it's under a hill, but that's hardly a useful definition. Otherwise, if in a hole, you could be the deepest and in fact only be 1m under the surface, or indeed, not under the surface at all!!!!

Taunton

Established Member
If Hampstead is the deepest current station, then how deep is Bull & Bush, up on the hilltop beyond? *

I always thought that from Hampstead the ground rises steeply to that point, then falls right away again down to Golders Green. Yet these diagrams show that Hampstead to Golders Green is apparently the steepest gradient on the Underground.

* : Edit - I've just found out. It is deeper, but not by much; 221 ft vs 191 ft. Useful diagram here :

Bull & Bush Underground Station (underground-history.co.uk)

cambsy

On Moderation
I think the diagrams of Daniel Silva are really great, but an explanation of the figures, and how to use the diagram, would be useful, i dont know wether i have missed the explanation, or its not on the downloadable pdf, but if there is a guide, could a link etc but put in this thread? Thanks

Egg Centric

UKLondonHampstead58
Hong KongHong KongHKU70
ChinaChongqingHongtudi94
UkraineKievArsenalna106
While not entirely related, should anyone else be wondering "how do I go deeper underground without much hassle" the National Mining Museum will get you deeper than any of these and you'll have a great time too - loved the tour I took a couple of months ago

Neither compare to e.g. gotthard base tunnel though of course.

Lee_Again

Maybe posted before (sorry) but if not, knock your selves out with this...

Tube Depths

Source: https://www.dansilva.co.uk/down-underground
I’ll try…
The number represent the number of meters under street level, the + sign indicates an above surface value.
The < and > signs indicate a direction if the line splits and goes to different depths.
The seemingly random coloured circles represent other tube lines with the numbers again representing depths.
It’s worth noting the lines joining the stations are not a true reflection of the track profile. They simply join the stations. Rise and falls are effectively averaged away!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The North Korean system may well be transporting workers from one part of an underground missile site to another well out of view of any passing satellite! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.