• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do I save music files for a pub quiz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smudger105e

To the very knowledgeable folk of Rail UK Forums. [/butter up]

I am currently running a Pub Quiz at my local, and rather than get the questions from one of the many sites available on line, I tend to write the questions from scratch.

The quiz takes the form of a ten question picture round, four ten question rounds on a specific subject (e.g. Science and Nature, soaps, sport) finishing with a ten question general knowledge round.

I like to vary the subject matter, and I seek feedback from the participants to se if they would like changes made, if the questions are too easy/hard or subject areas they feel may make interesting questions.

Last night, one team suggested a music round might be something a little different, an idea which I am keen to investigate. Initially I have thought of playing a piece of music that is used in a TV advert, and ask the participants to name the Company or Organisation that used the music in an advert.

There will be no problem taking my laptop to the pub, which would give me the ability to play music for broadcast over the PA, and there is WiFi available there, although its stability is questionable from time to time.

Now, my problem is this. Say I want to use this music as one of the questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZN6wEprr7y

But the link won't even work! The music is Birdy - Wings (Acoustic Version)on You Tube. That link works as a hyperlink off an Open Office Writer document, but not all of my You Tube links on that document appear as a hyperlink.

How do I download the music so I don't have to rely on the pub's flaky WiFi? If this is not possible, is there any way that I can make a directory of ten videos/music files that I can access one at a time. I am looking for a simple way (simple at the pub stage anyway!) to enable me to play ten pieces of music.

Anyone any ideas?

Many thanks

Smudger

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Searle

Established Member
DaleCooper:2260292 said:
Try Googling "Youtube downloader" for programs which allow you to save the video on your pc.

But be careful when you do so because a lot of them will install additional unnecessary programs to your computer that will slow it down considerably.

Waldgrun

When I write quiz's, any music I will run through "Format Factory" to produce an MP3 file, which I then edit down to the clip I want.
By the way I would have the Wifi switched off when running your quiz, to prevent cheating or at least make it difficult for "Smart phone" users!

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
There are tools that allow you to record what your PC is playing at the time - Google sound recorder, good for snippets but beware copyright laws

SS4

Established Member
Youtube-dl is a good program for grabbing youtube video and audio. I have no experience with the windows client but the linux one is my go-to choice. From the command line run (pass the -k option to keep the video you downloaded) where "$URL" is the video URL.

Code:
youtube-dl -c -A --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 "$URL"

It also has the advantage of being able to read from a file and sequentially download a list of URLs from a file with the -a flag (useful for if you want to make a cup of tea or go out and leave it alone)

Clip

Established Member
I haven't installed Firefox on the laptop yet, so might do that, prefer it to IE or whatever Windows 10 calls it!

Its a great add on and lets you record it in various formats or even just the audio file itself.

dgl

Established Member
Also a few metro apps in win8/10 that can save YouTube videos and extract an mp3 copy as well.

The original wp8 Microsoft YouTube app could also do this (until google got annoyed and made Microsoft pull the app (I suppose having a competitor having a vastly superior app on their platform compared to yours when it is your service isn't something that is going to be allowed for very long))

The fact also that it removed all the ads is probably another reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.