• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do Northern calculate their 'peak time' fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
Yesterday I travelled from Starbeck to Bradford during the peak, at a cost of £13 for an anytime day return. An off peak would cost £11 so a £2 difference there.

However, if I had started my journey at Harrogate I would have paid £11.30 anytime compared to £9.60 off peak, so a £1.70 difference

Maybe I'm bad at maths but that doesn't seem to be too consistent!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yesterday I travelled from Starbeck to Bradford during the peak, at a cost of £13 for an anytime day return. An off peak would cost £11 so a £2 difference there.
They price them as high as they can get away with, subject to fares regulation and franchise agreements. They actually had to reduce some off peak fares recently!
However, if I had started my journey at Harrogate I would have paid £11.30 anytime compared to £9.60 off peak, so a £1.70 difference

Maybe I'm bad at maths but that doesn't seem to be too consistent!
Fares are market-based, so won't be likely to be consistent.

These fares are not particularly inconsistent compared to many other examples!

Status
Not open for further replies.