• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do smart cards handle mutiple tickets to the same dsstination?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sometimes when travelling I might end up with multiple return halves of an off-peak return, if I'm finishing my journey short and it's a regular journey or I get a lift in one direction.

How does a smart card handle these situations?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks I hadn't realised that. So in some respects, e-tickets are smarter than smart cards
Not smarter, just different. With a smartcard you are asking the system to detect your intentions but with an eTicket you are telling it your intention by only ‘showing’ one ticket. If you had 3 similar return portions of tickets on a smartcard how could the system know which one to mark as used?

andythebrave

Not smarter, just different. With a smartcard you are asking the system to detect your intentions but with an eTicket you are telling it your intention by only ‘showing’ one ticket. If you had 3 similar return portions of tickets on a smartcard how could the system know which one to mark as used?

Last edited:

Journeyman

Established Member
Sometimes when travelling I might end up with multiple return halves of an off-peak return, if I'm finishing my journey short and it's a regular journey or I get a lift in one direction.

How does a smart card handle these situations?
Badly.

Bill57p9

Perhaps the one with the earliest expiry date in the same vein as clubcard vouchers.
Whilst that might sound reasonable enough, there are several interesting edge cases, such as:
  • Earliest expiry date is anytime but a later expiry is off peak
  • Two outstanding return portions on the same route but with different stations, such as London to Didcot and Swindon, and then the passenger alights at Reading
And we haven't mentioned split tickets yet.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Barcode is a much better option for long distance travel. All formats have their place and trying to standardise on one will ensure a poorer experience .
How long is a journey for it to be long distance? Does the fact a period return exists make a journey long distance by default?

There are plenty of journeys that take 2 hours in the south-east for which barcodes are not available. Yet TOCs are promoting why one should be using a smartcard.
Not smarter, just different. With a smartcard, you are asking the system to detect your intentions but with an eTicket you are telling it your intention by only ‘showing’ one ticket. If you had 3 similar return portions of tickets on a smartcard how could the system know which one to mark as used?
That makes sense. Given they are heavily promoted, more so than e-tickets on the radio asserts I hear (South Western Railway), it got me wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.