• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do you fill the time when delays occur or you have a gap between services

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldave

Established Member
Done that..! Redhill station is a cold windy desolate station and not the place to spend 57 minutes particularly during dark evenings.
Time to warm up with a pint in the "Home Cottage" about one minute from the station. I have normally allowed plenty of time to return to the station

You should also try one of their heavenly burgers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
Depends where I am and what time of the day it is. Somewhere like Carlisle or Doncaster and I'll stay on the station. If it's somewhere with little activity, I'll go for a walk, see what's in the immediate area. If I was planning to eat out later, I might bring grub time forward if there's a suitable place to eat.
I once had a long wait at Newtonmore in the dark - nothing much to do there at night except walk around to keep warm.

glbotu

If it's somewhere important at a reasonable time of day (most commonly Newcastle and Peterborough), I just watch the trains go by. If not, I've got OpenTTD and Football Manager on my phone.....................

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I used to have to spend some time on Paddock Wood Station. I soon discovered that the station, though boring, was infinitely more exciting than the environs of the station. Part of the reason why I started driving lessons!

EM2

Established Member
It's rare that I have a wait of more than ten minutes or so, for which a smartphone provides ample entertainment, but recently I have had a knack of just missing the xx:17 VT service from Milton Keynes to Euston, after various appointments, so end up going to Greggs or Subway and having something to eat, before ambling back for the xx:47.
I do always keep a book in my bag though, just in case.

Clip

Established Member
If im working then Ill catch up on some work & emails but if not then the nearest pub or get something to eat depending on the mood

Kite159

Veteran Member
Listen to music, read a book/magazine

Take photos if station is interesting or any movements or have a walk around local area if anything of interest.

tsr

Established Member
When delays occur:
1. Ascertain if location permits access to messroom.
2. If answer to 1 is positive, adjourn to messroom. Moan about cancellation or delay. Mutually receive other moaning. Drink coffee.
3. If answer to 1 is negative, amuse self with other station facilities, take photographs of anything particularly interesting, and still acquire coffee.
4. If answer to 1 is negative and 3 is not possible (eg. at Blackwater on an early January morning), depart from station and seek coffee.
5. If 4 is not possible, immediately board any available train providing a connection and return journey to said station within reasonable time. Observe other passengers. Relieve crew of unused coffee. Purchase hideously complicated ticket.
6. If 5 is not possible, adjourn to nearest emergency shelter or bothy. Set up camp. Drink coffee.
7. If no bothy is available, and no trains are available either, the station is cold and there is no coffee, resort to sundry survival tactics.
8. If station is warm, relax and enjoy RHTT movements. Where there are no passenger trains available, Sod's law dictates there will be numerous unfortunately irrelevant movements of RHTTs, usually involving indecipherable shunts which are rarely done.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
When delays occur:
1. Ascertain if location permits access to messroom.
2. If answer to 1 is positive, adjourn to messroom. Moan about cancellation or delay. Mutually receive other moaning. Drink coffee.
3. If answer to 1 is negative, amuse self with other station facilities, take photographs of anything particularly interesting, and still acquire coffee.
4. If answer to 1 is negative and 3 is not possible (eg. at Blackwater on an early January morning), depart from station and seek coffee.
5. If 4 is not possible, immediately board any available train providing a connection and return journey to said station within reasonable time. Observe other passengers. Relieve crew of unused coffee. Purchase hideously complicated ticket.
6. If 5 is not possible, adjourn to nearest emergency shelter or bothy. Set up camp. Drink coffee.
7. If no bothy is available, and no trains are available either, the station is cold and there is no coffee, resort to sundry survival tactics.
8. If station is warm, relax and enjoy RHTT movements. Where there are no passenger trains available, Sod's law dictates there will be numerous unfortunately irrelevant movements of RHTTs, usually involving indecipherable shunts which are rarely done.

Lol. I like it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.