• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do you know which platform to go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie389

Sorry if this is a dumb question but my daughter is going to be travelling from Barnsley train station to Aberdeen (Barnsley-Leeds, Leeds-Newcastle, Newcastle-Aberdeen). Personally I haven’t used trains so I don’t know much about it, she’s bought her tickets on Trainline and it tells her the journey and changes as well as what time the train will be there at but it doesn’t say any platform numbers or where to go

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grumbler

Sorry if this is a dumb question but my daughter is going to be travelling from Barnsley train station to Aberdeen (Barnsley-Leeds, Leeds-Newcastle, Newcastle-Aberdeen). Personally I haven’t used trains so I don’t know much about it, she’s bought her tickets on Trainline and it tells her the journey and changes as well as what time the train will be there at but it doesn’t say any platform numbers or where to go
The journey planner in Googlemaps shows this.

birchesgreen

Established Member
When she is at the stations the display screens will say which platform she needs to be at. There will also be announcements on the tannoy.

Iskra

Established Member
At Barnsley it will be Platform 2 for a train to Leeds.

At Leeds and Newcastle she will need to check the screens to see which platform.

Veteran Member
At Leeds, the Newcastle train will probably leave from Platform 11D (if it is Cross Country) or 15 (Transpennine Express), but platform alterations can and do happen.
At Newcastle, the Aberdeen train will almost certainly leave from Platform 2 but...
There are various Apps and websites that will tell you a little in advance -
I use an unofficial one called https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ - but....

daveo

When she is at the stations the display screens will say which platform she needs to be at. There will also be announcements on the tannoy.
Obviously she will need to know the final destination of each train to get information from the (non-platform) display screens at stations where she changes trains.

Kingspanner

I can't speak for Barnsley but certainly at Leeds, Newcastle and Aberdeen there will be uniformed staff on platforms and concourses who will be only too happy to help

Status
Not open for further replies.