• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How far can you travel in London for £1.50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
A quote in this thread got me thinking.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...know-how-long-your-journey-was-hopper.196520/

"So if I get a bus from Euston to Camden at 3pm and get one back before 4.10 the price for both will be £1.50? To demonstrate the point, the video below shows how to get from Orpington to a Heathrow on a Hopper Fare for £1.50.

Basically as long as the X26 is touched in on in Croydon within 70 minutes of the first touch on in Orpington, you can sit on the X26 as long as you like"

This got me thinking: is this the furthest you can go? Measuring the actual route as best as I can using Google Maps, I calculate that the journey Geoff did was 34.5 miles.

I then thought about using the new X140, then X26. The X140 takes approx 45 minutes from Harrow to Heathrow, so enough time to catch a X26. Measuring the route in the same way, it is 35.4 miles.

So is this the winner?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I would also wonder what happens if we extend the question, since the trams are included in the hopper too. I think you might just about be able to get from Blackheath station to Beckenham Junction and on to East Croydon in c. 55-60 minutes, using the 54 and the tram. Then you would need good luck to get an X26 in time: it's probably feasible.

peterblue

Sidcup to Heathrow T5 was possible also (in theory at least; in practice this may not be)

You may be able to go farther with the new X140 indeed. What about a connection from the other end? You should have enough time to go further if the X140 is only 45 mins.

MotCO

Established Member
I would also wonder what happens if we extend the question, since the trams are included in the hopper too. I think you might just about be able to get from Blackheath station to Beckenham Junction and on to East Croydon in c. 55-60 minutes, using the 54 and the tram. Then you would need good luck to get an X26 in time: it's probably feasible.

Geoff's original trip did include the Tram, but only betwen New Addington and Croydon.

MotCO

Established Member
Sidcup to Heathrow T5 was possible also (in theory at least; in practice this may not be)

You may be able to go farther with the new X140 indeed. What about a connection from the other end? You should have enough time to go further if the X140 is only 45 mins.

I did wonder if you could catch a bus to get to Harrow, but the timing could be tight.

peterblue

On paper you have:

0522 0559 X140 Harrow to Heathrow C
0600 0748 X26 Heathrow C to West Croydon

Yes, I know the 1 min connection is ambitious but it's a theoretical exercise. Heathrow Central isn't too big anyway all the stands are in the same place. You'll have time for just under 30 minutes for another bus from Harrow. You can't start any earlier than 0450. How far could you get? I'm not an expert with North London buses (or London at all for that matter, but I know a lot more about South London)

matt_world2004

Established Member

The Heathrow free fare zone gives you a bit of leeway on the journey time as you do not need to touch in until Harlington corner x140 to harlington corner 90/N285 to Hatton Cross and x26 from Hatton Cross may be a more secure way of getting to west Croydon.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Offpeak, and so long as you don't enter Zone 1, you can travel on the Underground and Overground from Upminster to Hatton Cross (certainly) or Heathrow (possibly) for £1.50. time almost of no relevance, so long as you follow the rules closely and don't break your journey. There have been threads in both Underground and Fares Policy sections. Going East-West is much easier done than North-South for £1.50 because of the way railways developed in the capital and the necessity to avoid the central area.

Status
Not open for further replies.