• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How good is the MissingX lost property system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I left my headphones case, airplane adaptor and USB C charging cable on the 18:55 Guildford to Fareham service on 24 January 2023. This was after I alighted at Godalming.

I followed South Western Railway Twitter advice and logged the missing items with MissingX.

How good are MissingX? On TrustPilot they get a poor user rating of just 2.4 but they don't have many reviews. Just 11.

Is there anything else I should do besides this?

My concern is that the items are with South Western Railway but they haven't linked to the MissingX items missing report.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Buy a new headphones case, airplane adaptor and USB C charging cable :lol:
I haven't actually lost the headphones. I was wearing those.

To make it sound even more ridiculous, I didn't lose the detachable 3.5mm audio cable either as I had accidentally left that behind at my parents.

Being dyslexic sometimes these things happen.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Never previously heard of MissingX, but they can only be successful if someone thought the items were sufficiently valuable to be worth handing in to "the authorities". Otherwise, they may just find their way to a landfill site.

Cdd89

Established Member
I once lost some headphones on a flight. I got some new ones from MissingX, except, err, they weren’t mine.

Not sure if that makes them good or bad. More of a tat exchange :lol:

BenS123

MissingX sounds like a good concept but sadly I'm not sure if it works. Without worrying the OP, I've now had 2 friends submit missing item reports to them and have had no reply, both around 6 months ago.
It's frustrating as a system like MissingX has so much potential!

infobleep

Veteran Member
The thing I find is that you log your item on there and don't her anything. If you log it directly with a TOC then you would know it is with them.

This may well go to the TOC but you are relying on that being the case as you never get an update. Even if one on the site to say they didn't find it.

AY1975

Established Member
MissingX sounds like a good concept but sadly I'm not sure if it works. Without worrying the OP, I've now had 2 friends submit missing item reports to them and have had no reply, both around 6 months ago.
It's frustrating as a system like MissingX has so much potential!
Agreed, I believe that in Germany most if not all cities and reasonably sized towns have for many years had their own municipal lost property office, so I suppose it's a high-tech version of that concept. Also, I suppose a national lost property database is better than separate ones for each region or town/city if you're not sure where you lost something.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well I haven't had an update but perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by this.

If you lose something it will stay on file forever with no update. Perhaps the theory is always the change it might turn up 10 years down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.