• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How has Manchester lagged behind in information provision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I was in Manchester recently and it struck me how poor TfGM and the operators seem to be at providing bus service information. Examples

• Live departure screens are apparently only available in indoor bus stations, and not at any outdoor stops at all that I could see (so not even Piccadilly Gardens, one of the biggest interchanges, has them)

• The timetables at stops list where the buses go to - something like "42 to Fallowfield, Withington, Didsbury, East Didsbury, Heaton Moor, Stockport" - but only show departure times and give no indication of how long it takes to get to any of those places, nor who operates the service.

• The TfGM website does not distinguish school services from public ones at all - not even by showing the school name as a destination. Also you can't search for bus stops on the website unless you know a route that serves the stop (and then you have to scroll through all stops on the route). Pretty useless for looking up which routes serve a particular stop!

• Stagecoach don't seem particularly minded to sort their website out either. Look at route 313 for example. It is a linear route running Stockport-Adswood-Cheadle-Airport and reverse, but for some reason their website has it encoded as a circular route, which operates Stockport-Adswood-Cheadle-Airport-Cheadle-Adswood-Stockport, for no clear reason. Another example is route 42, which is treated by Stagecoach as the same route as 42A, 42B and 42C, despite them serving completely different destinations. Even if you specifically select "42" in the route search it will sometimes decide to redirect to 42A, 42B or 42C, depending on which one is due to leave Piccadilly Gardens next. This sort of thing defies logic, especially considering the 142 shares as much of its route with the 42 as the 42C does, for example, but gets its own page.

• Finally despite the equipment being fitted for about 2 years, possibly even more, now - Stagecoach do not have automated announcements on seemingly the vast majority of services operated with the new E400s with the grey interiors. This includes, for some reason, the flagship 192 route. This is despite the ones that do work being in a text to speech voice - it's not like special recordings need to be made or anything!

Why?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johncrossley

Established Member

You might as well ask "Why is the earth round?" Obviously buses in Manchester suck in lots of ways. I'd be more surprised if you were posting about how good information is in Manchester. London has had automated announcements and internet real time information for at least a decade and bus stop real time information since the 90s with old technology. Obviously deregulation hasn't helped Manchester in this regard. In other words, Manchester is poor on those things by design. There is no regulatory compulsion for operators to carry such information. But many if not most people on this forum prefer it that way.

Last edited:

Llandudno

Established Member
I was in Manchester recently and it struck me how poor TfGM and the operators seem to be at providing bus service information. Examples

• Live departure screens are apparently only available in indoor bus stations, and not at any outdoor stops at all that I could see (so not even Piccadilly Gardens, one of the biggest interchanges, has them)

• The timetables at stops list where the buses go to - something like "42 to Fallowfield, Withington, Didsbury, East Didsbury, Heaton Moor, Stockport" - but only show departure times and give no indication of how long it takes to get to any of those places, nor who operates the service.

• The TfGM website does not distinguish school services from public ones at all - not even by showing the school name as a destination. Also you can't search for bus stops on the website unless you know a route that serves the stop (and then you have to scroll through all stops on the route). Pretty useless for looking up which routes serve a particular stop!

• Stagecoach don't seem particularly minded to sort their website out either. Look at route 313 for example. It is a linear route running Stockport-Adswood-Cheadle-Airport and reverse, but for some reason their website has it encoded as a circular route, which operates Stockport-Adswood-Cheadle-Airport-Cheadle-Adswood-Stockport, for no clear reason. Another example is route 42, which is treated by Stagecoach as the same route as 42A, 42B and 42C, despite them serving completely different destinations. Even if you specifically select "42" in the route search it will sometimes decide to redirect to 42A, 42B or 42C, depending on which one is due to leave Piccadilly Gardens next. This sort of thing defies logic, especially considering the 142 shares as much of its route with the 42 as the 42C does, for example, but gets its own page.

• Finally despite the equipment being fitted for about 2 years, possibly even more, now - Stagecoach do not have automated announcements on seemingly the vast majority of services operated with the new E400s with the grey interiors. This includes, for some reason, the flagship 192 route. This is despite the ones that do work being in a text to speech voice - it's not like special recordings need to be made or anything!

Why?
Come to north Wales…

No electronic real time displays, no timetables on bus stops, no printed timetables, no route maps, virtually no marketing of public transport, no bus/rail integration timings wise or through ticketing

There is the Arriva app and website though…..!!!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Come to north Wales…

No electronic real time displays, no timetables on bus stops, no printed timetables, no route maps, virtually no marketing of public transport, no bus/rail integration timings wise or through ticketing

There is the Arriva app and website though…..!!!
I think the difference is that Manchester is a fairly major city and isn't living up even to other places smaller than it.

Oxford, for example - real time information at most busier stops; automated announcements on newer buses as standard; timetables generally clear and understandable.
Even Gloucestershire, which is not that densely populated and not known for its support for public transport, manages nicer looking timetables and live information at stops in the centres of Gloucester and Cheltenham.

Andyh82

Established Member
In my experience if you were going to score all the urban areas (the PTEs, London, Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh etc) against a 10 point checklist (real time info, good bus stations, ticketing, info at stops, shelters, timetable leaflets, maps, travel centres, website..) all of them probably score between 5-7/10

They all have a few areas that they don’t do as well as other areas. If they’d all clubbed together and shared the gaps, they could pre-Covid have got 10/10

AB93

You might as well ask "Why is the earth round?" Obviously buses in Manchester suck in lots of ways. I'd be more surprised if you were posting about how good information is in Manchester. London has had automated announcements and internet real time information for at least a decade and bus stop real time information since the 90s with old technology. Obviously deregulation hasn't helped Manchester in this regard. In other words, Manchester is poor on those things by design. There is no regulatory compulsion for operators to carry such information. But many if not most people on this forum prefer it that way.
What's been stopping TfGM putting RTI screens at bus stops then in past decades? That they as a major city lag so far behind is frankly incredible.

When I lived there a few years back, I could use an app to track live departures for buses no problem prior to reaching the stop. The trams? Nothing of the sort.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
You might as well ask "Why is the earth round?" Obviously buses in Manchester suck in lots of ways. I'd be more surprised if you were posting about how good information is in Manchester. London has had automated announcements and internet real time information for at least a decade and bus stop real time information since the 90s with old technology. Obviously deregulation hasn't helped Manchester in this regard. In other words, Manchester is poor on those things by design. There has no regulatory compulsion for operators to carry such information. But many if not most people on this forum prefer it that way.
Erm....two things

First of all, the first three points are issues that surround TfGM - the self same organisation who can't get these relatively simple things right but feel suitably talented to take full control of public transport and....

Secondly... your statement that "In other words, Manchester is poor on those things by design. There has no regulatory compulsion for operators to carry such information. But many if not most people on this forum prefer it that way." - well, if that's the case, they'll be no problem in providing a selection of quotes from these many people who want poor public transport information. I'm sure "most people" will be keen to see your evidence for such a statement

Why?
TfGM has had the responsibility for roadside information for many years and that includes the ability to have Real Time Information screens. Quite why they haven't adopted this when, as you say, other smaller cities and even some shire counties have, you do wonder. Similarly, the provision of roadside "analogue" information is also poor for such a major conurbation and it always has been. There is plenty of best practice and, to be honest, they don't need to look too far for places (e.g. West Yorkshire, Merseyside) where they perform much better. In fact, I'd say the latter is one of the better PTEs in that and other respects.

The 42 group.... I guess it's because of the commonality of the route and there are pros and cons with that.

As regards Next Stop Announcements, Stagecoach seem to be a little bit slow on adopting these. In fact, they tend to be reticent on various bits of added extras e.g. USBs. Can only assume it's a cost issue but to be honest, it seems rather short sighted and I think the industry will begin to see such things are standard.

The

johncrossley

Established Member
What's been stopping TfGM putting RTI screens at bus stops then in past decades? That they as a major city lag so far behind is frankly incredible.

When I lived there a few years back, I could use an app to track live departures for buses no problem prior to reaching the stop. The trams? Nothing of the sort.
Some operators in Manchester only started real time information a few years ago. Arriva are normally considered one of the worst, if not the worst, major group, but if I recall they were well ahead of the rest in terms of real time information.

Metrolink has had real time information at stops for about 10 years. It's also on the TfGM website.

Secondly... your statement that "In other words, Manchester is poor on those things by design. There has no regulatory compulsion for operators to carry such information. But many if not most people on this forum prefer it that way." - well, if that's the case, they'll be no problem in providing a selection of quotes from these many people who want poor public transport information. I'm sure "most people" will be keen to see your evidence for such a statement
Of course, they wouldn't mind better information. But they prefer the operators to have the freedom to provide or not provide it depending on their preference, instead of a public sector organisation mandating it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Of course, they wouldn't mind better information. But they prefer the operators to have the freedom to provide or not provide it depending on their preference, instead of a public sector organisation mandating it.

You can either substantiate your contention with appropriate quotes from these many people, or you can't - I don't believe you can substantiate this assertion that "most people" do not want public provided information.

The fact is that operators have long produced their own publicity but even in National Bus Company, regulated days, they would provide only limited information of other operators services (and usually only other NBC ones and not independents). Some councils have been very good at producing comprehensive public transport information and some have been very poor - sadly, the pernicious budget cuts from 2010 onwards has seen this reduced as savings have been necessary.

Some councils do a great job in maintaining public transport information and some don't.

johncrossley

Established Member
You can either substantiate your contention with appropriate quotes from these many people, or you can't - I don't believe you can substantiate this assertion that "most people" do not want public provided information.

Surely you have read on here so many people complaining about local authorities and how incompetent they are? Deregulation is, by and large, preferred. Therefore they prefer local authorities to leave operators to run buses as they see fit. Would many people on here want to force Stagecoach to install on board announcements? I doubt it.

Trackman

Established Member

They are completely useless too, It's not even realtime as I found out last Thursday. 'Bus due now' - oh no it wasn't - flicks over to next service not long after and even confuses bus-drivers who have to check the duty roster number in the cab (or whatever it is), so they don't have a clue what is going on too.
At least when First ran the Diamond services they had realtime tracking and was spot on. Oh Yes, Diamond have a 'bus tracker' but it's in the land of the magical fairies ... e.g : is it 5 minutes away? I'll set off then. Hang on it's just past me! I think it polls the data really slow or correct.. who knows.. It's a lottery.
When back in London, it's a complete breath of fresh air using the buses.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's just the way it is in this country. Everything is a mess in all sorts of places because nationally we don't put much resource into bus provision.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I was shocked by this when I last went to Manchester - a very large proportion of stops in Milton Keynes now have displays (though bizarrely not the secondary stops in the centre, which may simply be because the old style shelters don't have mountings for them), and shire counties / unitaries are not known for high investment in public transport.

If the 192 was in MK it would have them at every stop.

That said Manchester has pioneered some things, such as the UK usage of raised (Kassel) kerbs, something London still fails on.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I was shocked by this when I last went to Manchester - a very large proportion of stops in Milton Keynes now have displays (though bizarrely not the secondary stops in the centre, which may simply be because the old style shelters don't have mountings for them), and shire counties / unitaries are not known for high investment in public transport.
There are quite a large number of stops in south Manchester which actually are fitted with the displays. It's just that they haven't been in use for at least the last 15 years.

johncrossley

Established Member

Maybe because Arriva has been providing real time information for a long time? In Manchester, Stagecoach and First didn't start providing it until much later, so there was little point in bus stop displays until relatively recently.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There are quite a large number of stops in south Manchester which actually are fitted with the displays. It's just that they haven't been in use for at least the last 15 years.

I recall seeing those, they are of an older type and I don't think I have ever seen them in use.
Indeed some also exist in North Manchester, one near me for instance just has a "GMPTE" showing with the wrong time.
Again, I have never seen these in use.
There are various low maintenance ways of showing real time bus information such as this, quite why TfGM has never bought into it I will never know, perhaps they guess that the vast majority of people now have Smartphones and have the ability to look up the same information online.

johncrossley

Established Member
There are various low maintenance ways of showing real time bus information such as this, quite why TfGM has never bought into it I will never know, perhaps they guess that the vast majority of people now have Smartphones and have the ability to look up the same information online.

Personally I don't use bus stop info for regular trips in London, even though it has been here for years. Maybe because it isn't at all stops so you get into the habit of using your phone even at stops where the information exists. There probably isn't a good case for expanding that system in Manchester now they are so late to the party.

But there is no excuse for no on board announcements. That needs no input from TfGM yet the operators in Manchester have failed abysmally to provide it.

These signs also made it to a number of the busier bus stops in Wigan. I even remember some of them working for about 2 weeks, until as Bungle965 says, they started displaying the wrong time. There's one on the number 10 (was 600) route, that for a number of years has been blank, with the exception of two or thee illuminated LEDs, meaning they are presumably still powered.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-004307__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-004307__01.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 62

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Surely you have read on here so many people complaining about local authorities and how incompetent they are? Deregulation is, by and large, preferred. Therefore they prefer local authorities to leave operators to run buses as they see fit. Would many people on here want to force Stagecoach to install on board announcements? I doubt it.
So you still haven't provided a single quote to substantiate your assertion, despite it apparently being the majority view?

Let me help you as you seem to be struggling. Life is not a series of binary choices or experiences - it is not On/Off, Black/White, Good/Evil but much more nuanced. What you seem to be unable or unwilling to accept is that it is natural to be able to say that certain local authorities are good at certain things and poor at others, and that there is a difference between local authorities. THAT is what people have said. In the shires, a county such as Devon is generally very good at supporting bus operators yet the next door counties (Dorset and Somerset) see public transport as much less of a priority. However, it is also true to say that some local authorities are very poor generally - see Northamptonshire County Council.

Therefore, it is clear that certain PTEs and local authorities are good at providing comprehensive public transport operation whilst others are not as good, either because they choose not to employ best practice, don't see it as a priority or, more pertinently, they simply haven't had the finances in which to be able to support it. Also, and this is pertinent here, is that capital funding is much easier to secure from central government than revenue spending; hence you can build a bus station or install RTPI screens etc but then the funding for ongoing maintenance etc is much more restricted.

What you seem to be getting confused about is that many people don't believe that local authorities have the skills to run bus services because, quite simply, they don't have those people. There are good and bad local authorities and/or ones that see public transport as more important. Moreover, there are measures that organisations like TfGM could be sorting out now but haven't - better roadside publicity would be great but even better would be measures to ensure that your bus will arrive on time and not be stuck in glue pot congestion.

As for forcing Stagecoach to have NSAs on vehicles? Well, it is an additional cost and don't think that London isn't paying for it so if TfGM wanted to pay for such measures, then they could and I'm sure that Stagecoach would welcome that. However, NSAs are now becoming increasingly standard, much as wifi, USBs and phone charging are also becoming standard features. Remember the Better Bus Area funding that allowed cities like Bristol and Sheffield (from memory) to have wifi fitted to virtually all vehicles? That Stagecoach are lagging behind in this is disappointing and I've castigated Arriva (and more recently voiced concerns over Stagecoach) for their investment but in much of the industry, operators have been investing in improved ticketing options and technologies and the vehicles themselves.

py_megapixel

Established Member
The trams do have real time departures displayed on the stops though

The 42 group.... I guess it's because of the commonality of the route and there are pros and cons with that.
There are pros and cons with them all being part of the same timetable. There are no pros whatsoever of redirecting a user to the 42B when they have specifically searched for the A. That's just poor UI design. I also don't see why the 142 should not be included in the same group, as it shares as much of the route as the others do.

As regards Next Stop Announcements, Stagecoach seem to be a little bit slow on adopting these. In fact, they tend to be reticent on various bits of added extras e.g. USBs. Can only assume it's a cost issue but to be honest, it seems rather short sighted and I think the industry will begin to see such things are standard.
How can it be a cost issue when the equipment is already fitted and just uses TTS?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
How can it be a cost issue when the equipment is already fitted and just uses TTS?
Sorry - I thought you were referring to a lack of equipment being fitted, rather than it being there but not used
Probably just the classic "if the wheels turn, send it out" that pervades the industry (and rail, to a fair extent) and is simply not good enough.
To an extent. I often bemoan the internal presentation of certain bus companies and the lack of attention to detail.

Mind you, and not wishing to descend into whataboutery, it's not something confined to the UK and I have seen similar in Spain and Portugal.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To an extent. I often bemoan the internal presentation of certain bus companies and the lack of attention to detail.

Certainly it isn't a strong point of Arriva, for one. But it does pervade somewhat - unreplaced dented panels, replaced panels with livery elements missing (or failing to design liveries to ease this), unlocked interior panels, interior panels stuck in place with season ticket covers, rattles solved with a bit of card rather than a proper fix to manufacturer spec......

Obviously sending a bus out with something like that broken when you have no other bus is better than cancelling the services, but it's not about that, it's about a pervading view that these things don't matter so they just get ignored entirely - well, they do.

Mind you, and not wishing to descend into whataboutery, it's not something confined to the UK and I have seen similar in Spain and Portugal.

True. Some of us often hold up "Europe" as a shining example, but in reality it is more the Germanic parts thereof, and not all of those.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Certainly it isn't a strong point of Arriva, for one. But it does pervade somewhat - unreplaced dented panels, replaced panels with livery elements missing (or failing to design liveries to ease this), unlocked interior panels, interior panels stuck in place with season ticket covers, rattles solved with a bit of card rather than a proper fix to manufacturer spec......

Obviously sending a bus out with something like that broken when you have no other bus is better than cancelling the services, but it's not about that, it's about a pervading view that these things don't matter so they just get ignored entirely - well, they do.

True. Some of us often hold up "Europe" as a shining example, but in reality it is more the Germanic parts thereof, and not all of those.
I'd agree with both these points, and yes, we treat Europe as a homogenous lump of exemplar operation when really, it's Germany, Netherlands, and the Scandi countries. Go further south (even France) or to the east and it's less impressive.

However, we are drifting from the subject of Greater Manchester. FWIW, I've found GM to be quite inconsistent as a PTE (having lived there twice). The metrolink is great and I don't really have many criticisms there. The bus operators, once we escaped from the first ten years of deregulation and the upheaval, could be characterised as Stagecoach being fairly good, First having fits and starts of investment, Arriva being a non-entity, Rossendale coming in and being a "white bread municipal" and then a range of other operators ranging from the poor to the very good (see Jim Stones or Goodwins). However, whilst good at some flagship projects (e.g. Leigh guided busway), they have also focused on some overblown developments (e.g. most bus stations are seemingly overspecced) whilst failing to substantially address areas such as bus priority or cycle routes.

Might I suggest that they like a "statement" that garners press column inches but less attracted by the more prosaic parts of life.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd agree with both these points, and yes, we treat Europe as a homogenous lump of exemplar operation when really, it's Germany, Netherlands, and the Scandi countries. Go further south (even France) or to the east and it's less impressive.

Plus Austria and Switzerland, to be fair. But you're right, the Romance countries are no better at it than us as a whole, albeit in different ways.

However, we are drifting from the subject of Greater Manchester. FWIW, I've found GM to be quite inconsistent as a PTE (having lived there twice). The metrolink is great and I don't really have many criticisms there. The bus operators, once we escaped from the first ten years of deregulation and the upheaval, could be characterised as Stagecoach being fairly good, First having fits and starts of investment, Arriva being a non-entity, Rossendale coming in and being a "white bread municipal" and then a range of other operators ranging from the poor to the very good (see Jim Stones or Goodwins). However, whilst good at some flagship projects (e.g. Leigh guided busway), they have also focused on some overblown developments (e.g. most bus stations are seemingly overspecced) whilst failing to substantially address areas such as bus priority or cycle routes.

Yes, true. It isn't even consistent - Piccadilly Bus Station is arguably the most important one in the whole city and is and long has been woeful. And the mind boggles as to what they are doing in Stockport - I suspect the new one will quickly become a den of antisocial behaviour and probably end up closed at night with buses using roadside stops instead.

mic

Why?
Stagecoach and Diamond North west can not even get the right fleet numbers tracking on bustimes the latter has one double tracking at Bolton and Preston

duncombec

It's not surprising that the usual London/Europe inferences were made almost immediately, even though they were slightly misplaced.

To the casual outsider with an overarching (but not necessarily precisely-detailed) interest in Manchester, it has seemed pretty obvious for some time that TfGM (Transport for Greater Manchester) and its previous acronyms have favoured Tram, and sizeable all-singing, all-dancing bus stations, over more prosaic, day-to-day matters they could easily improve (such as real time at bus stops). That said, the financing of it obviously comes in different ways, and there is now a real question to be asked whether capital expenditure on RTI (Real time Information) at bus stops is the way to go, when they could just as easily direct people to an app - their own or a third party, such as Bustimes or Nextbus - which provide the same information for substantially fewer thousands of pounds.
"Sorry Mrs Miggins, we've had to decrease the frequency of your bus service from 60 to 90 minutes and diverted it around a few more housing estates because we needed to provide real time information displays on the every-4-minute 192"...

It's worth noting that at least for the moment, Manchester seem happy to continue printing timetable leaflets, however basic, which is more than can be said for Arriva (who did I really see them being held up as a good example upthread) or the sainted suburbs of Londonland. Although some years old now, and of the last set really were quite poor (did Stagecoach Devon use their cartographer!), Manchester has also produced (free) maps more recently than the capital, and unless anything has changed, more recently than some major European cities. I think it's important to look at the good as well as the bad if there is to be any claim of balance.

See above. That said, I do think Piccadilly Gardens is big enough to qualify, although if you're a regular reader of the "Public Transport Experience" blog, you'd know the author there moans incessantly (among other things) about how invisible these sort of screens are in the wrong sort of sun/wind/rain, etc., and they also rely on a useful data connection. Those at my (non-Manchester) local bus station regularly show blank screens, or where the feed ceased updating hours earlier. If you put them at each bus stop you'd need more than a dozen, if you used a "totem-pole" at either end you'd get complaints about where you put them... perhaps the most ideal situation would be - if it is still there - inside the Travelshop window?

In fairness, this is something mostly favoured by enthusiasts. I'd like to suggest the majority of people who go to use the bus work on the time they plan to arrive, rather than turning up at the bus stop to know how long it's going to take to get there. We need to increase information beforehand (in whichever form) and keep bus stop information simple.

True, but having just checked, you do get "no more times today", and there is no PDF download. If you search by number, the times also show school time only journeys. In most cases, people will find routes from a stop via Google Maps or a journey planner... It must be a pretty small subset of people who know where bus stops are but cannot recall seeing the number of any bus they've ever seen go past it - I know a fair few car drivers who can recall the number of the bus they pass, even if they don't use it!
Operator websites are increasingly favouring those who don't already know the answer to half their question before (i.e. journey planners) rather than those who do (and go immediate timetable seeking). This often seems to be missed by those of us who do know where to start. I think the better way to show the 42 group would be with a summary for Didsbury) which is presumably why they show them together.
Next Stop Announcements are marmite material, as evidenced by the many discussions on this forum. Some people regard their absence as a blessing, others a dire state of affairs.

As others have said, Manchester is a "PTE" area, and one that isn't afraid to use it's strong hand when it suits. In some ways (e.g. information at bus stops), it is exactly like London, and equally out of date. One wonders what use they could have found for the money spent on franchising proposals...

They are completely useless too, It's not even realtime as I found out last Thursday. 'Bus due now' - oh no it wasn't - flicks over to next service not long after and even confuses bus-drivers who have to check the duty roster number in the cab (or whatever it is), so they don't have a clue what is going on too.
At least when First ran the Diamond services they had realtime tracking and was spot on. Oh Yes, Diamond have a 'bus tracker' but it's in the land of the magical fairies ... e.g : is it 5 minutes away? I'll set off then. Hang on it's just past me! I think it polls the data really slow or correct.. who knows.. It's a lottery.
When back in London, it's a complete breath of fresh air using the buses.
This is more than likely to be a common experience with all tracking apps, given their (I presume) reliance on GPS tracking. It was a regular complaint of commuter coach passengers at Canary Wharf that the coach "suddenly bounced after five minutes static", having seemingly failed to realise a Satellite couldn't see it in the Limehouse Link tunnel. There may not be many tunnels in Manchester, but even bustimes only updates once a minute - that's a long time if it misses a ping.

Stagecoach and Diamond North west can not even get the right fleet numbers tracking on bustimes the latter has one double tracking at Bolton and Preston
With respect, this is really only something enthusiasts worry about. The general passenger is unlikely to know or care the bus has a fleetnumber, and as long as the company can associate what they need to in the back office, this is something that is "nice to have" and little else. I don't think this can really be used as a general example of poor information provision.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Altrincham Interchange, which is owned and operated by TfGM and was completely rebuilt in 2014, has a large multimodal departures screen in the main concourse. But the bus section gives only timetabled information, which disappears as soon as the scheduled departure time has passed, even if the vehicle has not yet arrived.

The Metrolink section of this screen is blank and has never worked. There are PIDs on one, but only one, of the two Metrolink platforms, and they do not make clear which departure will be from which platform. Although the Tram Management System uses real time tram information to feed the PIDs, it gets confused when there is disruption, with "phantom" services disappearing before arrival and the destination of some others displayed as "see tram front".

Only the National Rail section of the concourse screen provides accurate real time departure information, fed by Darwin.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Altrincham Interchange, which is owned and operated by TfGM and was completely rebuilt in 2014, has a large multimodal departures screen in the main concourse. But the bus section gives only timetabled information, which disappears as soon as the scheduled departure time has passed, even if the vehicle has not yet arrived.
Live times were being shown for Stagecoach and Arriva, but not for Little Gem, when I was there a few days ago.

The Metrolink section of this screen is blank and has never worked.
Worked when I was there, as did the identical one at Wythenshawe.

Status
Not open for further replies.