• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How has This Year been and Next Years Trip Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Well it's certainly been my most productive year, good couple of rovers with my most productive summer ever! I've cleared my 91s and 155s, cleared most of the normal passenger track up north, made a visit to Inverness, and managed to make a solid start on my shack scratching exploits!

Some loco haulage in the mix too, always a bonus as well as capturing the Bubble!

Next year is starting as follows-

02-03/01~ North Country Rover (Past 2 days will be in December)
06/02~ Birmingham
May~ Germany
July~ ALR
August~ Portugal

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good lad Lord Tram of Farmville, sure we'll have a laugh, may I stress too, if you can make it, your all invited.

Lord Spoon Goon, I'm from Cider Country remember ;)

Aye anyone else wanting to come along is indeed welcome. We must be crazy for wanting to do it mind!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
We must be crazy for wanting to do it mind!

I know! ;)

If I remember correctly then 47403 said that he would never do an overnighter at Carlisle again. Now he's planning another! If you're really going to do an overnight somewhere then do it at either of these locations.

Barnetby - 51 freight trains between 0001 and 0605.
Nuneaton - 69 freight trains (+3 Royal Mail + 2 sleepers) between 0005 and 0610.

D6975

Established Member
A pretty good year for me.
Visited Scotland and saw everything I needed, covered all the bits of line I needed and picked up 4 different 68s for haulage in 3 days – not bad going at all. They’ve since opened the Borders line of course, but that can wait now until I go up there to see the 381s.
I did a combo of NE and NW 4 in 8s that let me do 37075 on the KWVR, diesel day on the NYMR (including 37264) and 37218/402/409/423/606 on the Cumbrian coast. A couple of years ago I wouldn’t have believed that no heat tractors would actually produce regularly on the main like that.

Next year, still not decided really. The IOM is still calling, I’ll get around to it eventually.
Likewise Ireland, not been there since they got rid of the Cravens and everything went plastic. I can’t summon up the enthusiasm to go ever just to do the 3 bits of new track that have opened since then, especially as it’ll be on pretty rancid units. Perhaps leaving Ireland as memories of 071s and Baby GMs will end up being the preferred option.
A trip to sample the Chiltern 68s will need to be done at some point, a day trip at least, possibly a HOE. A revisit to the NW is tempting too, even though it’s now EH and DBSOs.
I really must get around to knocking off the Thames branches too, they can be done easily enough from Bristol with a day ranger, although doing them as part of a 2 or 3 day trip up to the smoke is a possibility too.
I considered doing (but didn’t) a triangular trip this year, which I might do next year. Up to Brum, day scratching in 68s to Leamington and back, then 68 down to MYB the following day for a couple of days in London before coming home direct from Padd.
The only thing that is certain is that I’ll be taking my son down to Paignton in the Summer for a week again. He loves the place.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I need to get my finger out...

With a bit of planning, I could clear Great Britain's passenger track (including PSUL and standard gauge Preserved/Heritage stuff). 2-3 weekends in London, weekend in the Welsh Valleys, a Lincolnshire Day Ranger and an ALR to mop up.

Then there's the haulage side of things. Not had a 68 yet, 37075 at Keighley still remains unseen, 4 142s to get...

And not forgetting the shacks. In fact, I fancy finishing off the seven Qs (need 5) and five Js (think there are five - done James Street and Jewellery Quarter).

(Goes away to consult PSUL, RTT and - most importantly - hone my taste for lime cordial. The beer will have to go!)

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Number one thing I need to do, get my photo library up to date. Got full spotting days in London, Warrington, Doncaster and two at Barnetby yet to process, as well as the photos from my five day jolly in 2013 and then my archive of film photos.

Since my red pen is saved for trains I have photos of, I'm chasing things I might already have seen. Unfortunately the call of the wild draws me away from my computer on my days off and just adds more photos to the mix.

My final trip of the year will be on Wednesday, a quick trip into Leeds to see the Neville Hill tanks and hopefully a few Freightliner workings through Woodlesford. The announcement of the Arriva Northern take-over has put some impetus into bagging my remaining Northern units while still in the current livery, so I suspect a few more local trips might be in order before April - maybe a run up to Tyneside and Manchester.

Not sure how much international travelling I will get next year. We're going snow shoeing in rural Norway in February with a train connection from Oslo which should be pretty fun. Looking at some trekking in Iran in the summer, but solo travelling is limited on tourist Visas so might not get to take the sleeper train from Tehran to Isfahan.

noddy1878

Established Member
I've had a great year. The trip that did it for me was my ALR. But since then i've had very little time (hardly been on here) although I did manage a trip to Birmingham for a West Midlands Day Ranger, a trip to London and I managed to to the UK Railtours Swaythling Band tour. I haven't even managed to write up the trip reports. I managed several other biggish trips, the biggest being my Freedom of the North West with three friends.

Very unlikely I'll get out again before the year's out, so it looks like I will finish on 21793 miles (better than last year) and managed 560 winning trains. Of that 62 were locomotives! The 37s and 68s boosted that figure nicely!
Next year? I have a Freedom of the North West planned for Feb but that is it so far. Time seems to be something I don't have a lot of at the moment!

My year has been quite good though cant beat what others on this forum have done! And Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year :D

Havent really covered much this year but hope to do next year heres the lines ive covered :

Tyne Valley ( Loads of times as it starts in Newcastle )
Durham Coast ( Loads of times again for the same reason )
Tees Valley ( Very Close to Me )
Still to cover the Esk Valley
ECML ( All Sections )
WCML ( Carlisle - Edinburgh )
Settle and Carlisle
Transpennine North
Transpennine South ( Manchester Airport - Doncaster )
Transpennine North West ( Manchester Airport - Manchester Oxford Road )
Manchester Victoria to Huddersfield
Calder Valley via Brighouse ( Still to do via Bradford )
Dearne Valley
Leeds to Doncaster Via Westgate
Leeds to Sheffield via Kirkgate and Barnsley
Leeds to Sheffield via Moorthorpe
Hope Valley
GWML ( Paddington to West Drayton )
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Connect
Carstairs to Edinburgh
Edinburgh to Edinburgh Park
Edinburgh Trams
Tyne and Wear Metro ( Everyday )
Metrolink
Sheffield Supertram
Blackpool Trams ( Came in car not on train )

New traction
150/1 ( Already covered 150/2s )
144s
390s
350s
170s
Crosscountry HSTs
1995TS ( LU )
D78
S7/S8
321s
322s
365s
313s
317s

I might do a emergency trip down to London this weekend to catch the 442s

Hope to cover more than I did this year and wish yous all a Happy Christmas and loads more train travels to come!

Established Member
I know! ;)

If I remember correctly then 47403 said that he would never do an overnighter at Carlisle again. Now he's planning another!
If you're really going to do an overnight somewhere then do it at either of these locations.

Barnetby - 51 freight trains between 0001 and 0605.
Nuneaton - 69 freight trains (+3 Royal Mail + 2 sleepers) between 0005 and 0610.

I did fishqiunn but not by myself the fact some folk want to do one too, so I'm more than willing to do some again. I dont know if you'll be able to attend but hopefully you can to.
Also, If your allowed to stand overnight at either of them locations, it's a very good idea, Barnetby would be quite a bleak place to do an overnighter too.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm unlikely to be able to unfortunately. Barnetby is bleak during the day too but at night it is in the same house as Carlisle facility wise - Nothing...

But I'm sure that with company then Carlisle will be fairly good!

richw

Veteran Member
2015 has been disappointing by my terms, I haven't been anywhere since August due to work and rugby commitments. I used to get 2 weekdays a month off, but since August have been working Monday to Friday.
2016 is an unknown quantity, my employer is closing sometime in q1 or q2, I will receive a decent payoff as they are giving us enhanced redundancy, but don't know what work I shall be doing. This may free up more time and finances allowing me to get out more, or I might end up in a restrictive new job that doesn't give me time to get out and about,

backontrack

Established Member
Good to see that you've all done well this year, I've enjoyed reading your reports and I've had a good year too. :smile:

Next year, fishquinn and I have a new project coming up - well, it's mostly Quinn's, but he's generously letting me in on the action too. Basically, Quinn is going to do a special trip report using only photographs. However, some users have requested a text version as well, so Quinn's kindly allowed me to type it up using notes from his travels. It's exciting for me to be able to write my first trip report (if I can make it work, that is!). It'll be in the third person (obviously ;)) and hopefully not too boring. The main event will be the photographs, which Quinn will be producing. Hopefully you'll all enjoy it, I don't think it's something that's ever been done before so it'll be a first for the forum as well as for Quinn. Expect at least one photo of a popular Costa Coffee iced beverage.* ;)

For me, in 2016 I'm looking forward to (hopefully) more trips to more varied locations, including more TOCs and more varied rolling stock. I probably won't get to go on a trip where I'm just doing trains, so don't expect to see any reports though! I also have POTW in my sights - one win already, can I top that? **

* The Tropical Fruit Cooler, obviously.

**Don't get your hopes up, unless I end up on a Eurotunnel train and take another shot while running for 'arty effect'. If I do, then I will have to expect a phone call from the Tate Modern, as a talent like mine for taking photos that are reminiscent of 'a night on the beers' surely cannot be ignored. :P

Established Member
Good to see that you've all done well this year, I've enjoyed reading your reports and I've had a good year too. :smile:

Next year, fishquinn and I have a new project coming up - well, it's mostly Quinn's, but he's generously letting me in on the action too. Basically, Quinn is going to do a special trip report using only photographs. However, some users have requested a text version as well, so Quinn's kindly allowed me to type it up using notes from his travels. It's exciting for me to be able to write my first trip report (if I can make it work, that is!). It'll be in the third person (obviously ;)) and hopefully not too boring. The main event will be the photographs, which Quinn will be producing. Hopefully you'll all enjoy it, I don't think it's something that's ever been done before so it'll be a first for the forum as well as for Quinn. Expect at least one photo of a popular Costa Coffee iced beverage.* ;)

For me, in 2016 I'm looking forward to (hopefully) more trips to more varied locations, including more TOCs and more varied rolling stock. I probably won't get to go on a trip where I'm just doing trains, so don't expect to see any reports though! I also have POTW in my sights - one win already, can I top that? **

* The Tropical Fruit Cooler, obviously.

**Don't get your hopes up, unless I end up on a Eurotunnel train and take another shot while running for 'arty effect'. If I do, then I will have to expect a phone call from the Tate Modern, as a talent like mine for taking photos that are reminiscent of 'a night on the beers' surely cannot be ignored. :P

Interesting idea to be fair, hope it goes well for you both. Look forward to the 1st one.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I think I've done worse than I originally thought :(. I wanted to try and clear most (if not all) lines in the Oyster area, and failed miserably. I've even failed to complete all the South West Trains outer suburban area lines, as Epsom-Dorking and Aldershot-Alton are still missing :oops:.

I started off well with the South Pennines Day Ranger on only the second day of 2015, which was a fun day out. Did two WM Daytrippers as well, along with clearing several lines in the Oyster area. February was the LM Great Escape and a few more Oyster area lines. March had nothing of note. April meant the diversions away from Reading, with me going from Paddington to Taunton via Park Royal, Banbury, Oxford and Bristol, returning to Waterloo via Westbury, Salisbury, Basingstoke and Woking. I made decent Oyster area progress in May, and went on the Class 458 railtour :D. Spa Valley Railway in July, but the next long distance journey was in late August when I went camping in the Peak District. However, I sprained my ankle badly the second we all got to the camping barn, so nothing much until the end of September. In October I went for the Class 37s in Anglia, and that was the last time I went somewhere far. But the coming Monday I go on a Cheshire Day Ranger :).

Oyster area and SWT progress:
January: Surbiton to Hampton Court. Edgware to Hendon Central (previously had completed up to there). Woolwich and Sidcup lines (direct service from Woolwich Arsenal to London Bridge via Sidcup). Purley to both Caterham and Tattenham corner (one cold -5C morning). Marylebone to South Ruislip, returning to Paddington via Park Royal. Victoria to Bromley South, returning to City Thameslink via Catford. Upminster to Romford.
February: Alexandra Palace to Enfield Chase, falling short as I got tempted by a bus (that I missed!). Wood Green to Southgate, first time on that section since 2001. Walthamstow Central to Chingford. Ilford to Stratford. Sutton to Wimbledon.
March: No new section of line.
April: Gants Hill to Woodford via Hainault. Fulwell to Shepperton. Lewisham to Orpington (leaves annoying stub). Bromley North to Grove Park.
May: West Ruislip to Northolt. Staines to Windsor & Eton Riverside (only Epsom-Dorking left for SWT). Tottenham Hale to Stratford. Stratford to Barking via Woodgrange Park.
June: South Croydon to Upper Warlingham (using 4 x 377/3). Cockfosters to Southgate. St Mary Cray to Bromley South. Ilford to Shenfield.
July: None.
August: None.
September: Lewisham to Nunhead.
October, November and December: None.

Which leaves:
Buckhurst Hill to Epping.
Willesden Junction to Watford Junction via Watford High Street.
Hackney Downs to Enfield Town and Hertford East.
Tottenham Hale to Hertford East.
Enfield Chase to Crews Hill.
Finchley Central to Mill Hill East.
St Pancras International to Stratford International.
Grays to Chafford Hundred and Barking via Dagenham Dock.
Orpington to Knockholt.
Lewisham (or St Johns) to Hayes.
Crystal Palace to Beckenham Junction.
Arena to Beckenham Junction.
Tooting Broadway to Morden.
Sutton to Epsom Downs.
Chalfont & Latimer to Chesham.
Moor Park to Watford.
Kingsbury to Stanmore.

Established Member
Well, I've had a grand year railway wise.
For the first time ever I've taken to chasing EMUs and new stations.
This has opened up a whole new world of opportunities for me.
I'm very pleased with my progress on the unit front with two new classes cleared (314 & 442 - the classes local to me, 322 & 333 were cleared without trying before EMU mania swept in).

Best of all has been the introduction of the class 68 to mainline passenger work.
At the start of the year I'd seen one and had none for haulage, now I've had nine of them, with hopefully many more to come :)

2016 will hopefully bring more of the same.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed you had a rather decent year! That's two of us who cleared the 314s this year, I hope to do the same with 313s and 315s next year.

My other plan for 2016 is to hit 200 beers logged on Untappd :lol:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Indeed you had a rather decent year! That's two of us who cleared the 314s this year, I hope to do the same with 313s and 315s next year.

My other plan for 2016 is to hit 200 beers logged on Untappd :lol:

I hit 200 beers DAILY... Explains some of my posts here I guess!

I need to clear all of those as I rarely stray south of Doncaster unless it is to London

Kite159

Veteran Member
Well my first plan of a HST/166 hunting day on the GW went into the bin as my half-day-school for my OU changed from Reading to Southampton.

And I can't see anything of interest happening around Southampton that day as the main-line through eastleigh is closed, will be 444s diverting via Fareham/Guildford and voyagers going towards Basingstoke via Laverstock so not a quick and easy leap as it would be going to the airport.

backontrack

Established Member
Have you cleared any DMU classes yet? Over here we always have the same units; 375s and Javelins (as well as Marshlink 171s, but I'm barely ever in one of those). Occasionally we get the odd Networker (oh joy) but there's no variety otherwise. I realise that lots of people (like Lord Quest) are envious of Javelins, but I actually miss the variety. So it'd be great if we got some Sprinters down here, and I mean that with no irony. Then again, St Pancras is a great station, so I should take more photos there.

I would recommend some relaxed time spent on the 150/8/9-s if you haven't cleared all the ones down your way already. Possibly head off to the HoWL?*

*The one from Frome to Weymouth. ;)

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Have you cleared any DMU classes yet? Over here we always have the same units; 375s and Javelins (as well as Marshlink 170s, but I'm barely ever in one of those). Occasionally we get the odd Networker (oh joy) but there's no variety otherwise. I realise that lots of people (like Lord Quest) are envious of Javelins, but I actually miss the variety. So it'd be great if we got some Sprinters down here, and I mean that with no irony. Then again, St Pancras is a great station, so I should take more photos there.

I would recommend some relaxed time spent on the 150/8/9-s if you haven't cleared all the ones down your way already. Possibly head off to the HoWL?*

*The one from Frome to Weymouth. ;)

159s are all cleared for me, a couple 171/8s left, 1 unit left of 172s & 168s.

I would say I have cleared all my local units, but I have 4 GW 150s left and 150s do pop up now and again in place of 158s

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Backontrack: Remember though, a lot of us don't have the luxury of fast trains (whether by service or design of train) on a regular basis, so the 395s are special to a lot of us. Lord BT is another forum member I know who likes them, and of course a run down HS1 on one (I'd love to do one RA St Pan/Stratford to Ashford) is quite the treat for a lot of us!

My first trip of 2016 is confirmed for Monday, I'm turning down an 8 hour graft fest on Monday (overtime anyway) to do it. #techsBigBang2016 is the hashtag ;) Find out during Monday where I'm heading to, or await the trip report ;)

Established Member
Backontrack: Remember though, a lot of us don't have the luxury of fast trains (whether by service or design of train) on a regular basis, so the 395s are special to a lot of us. Lord BT is another forum member I know who likes them, and of course a run down HS1 on one (I'd love to do one RA St Pan/Stratford to Ashford) is quite the treat for a lot of us!

My first trip of 2016 is confirmed for Monday, I'm turning down an 8 hour graft fest on Monday (overtime anyway) to do it. #techsBigBang2016 is the hashtag ;) Find out during Monday where I'm heading to, or await the trip report ;)

or for £5.99 a month he'll let you know first.:lol::lol::lol:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Happy new year all! All the best for 2016!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Happy New Year from the Master of the Humber region and Lord Protector of Doncaster

jnjkerbin

In terms of railways, 2015 was an up and down year for me, managing to break my own record for greatest mileage in one month twice and for smallest in one month twice!

Highlights include my first international and foreign mileage/kilometerage in February, getting my last 466 (027) in March, a particularly fruitful DaySave in April, both in terms of routes and traction and making some great progress on London in March.

Also, in July I managed to hammer away at London some more, and finally got round to doing the S&C. A return to Shropshire and North Wales was had in August, yielding my best month to date in terms of mileage, 1517m 55ch. The second half of the year was particularly poor, as I moved within walking distance of work, meaning that the daily 20 miles were no more.

Finished the year in 8299m 20ch, which is less than any year since I started recording in 2012.
About 4000 of those were on Southeastern and London Underground doubled its cumulative mileage in about 8 months!

In addition, there were 116 red pens, 8 days spent on trains and nearly ten hours of delay!

Next year, my aims are to do a few more big trips including (hopefully) an international one, perhaps to Germany.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I too want to return to Germany, having done a very tiny amount of it so far. I also want to hit Vienna, following watching a mate's video of a Taurus loco there.

I might have to get the European timetable back out and have a look at Ryanair's sale...

backontrack

Established Member

Well, I hope you can at some point. I'm sure that Lord Javelin himself (me) will envy you once HS2 reaches Birmingham and Manchester.

Or am I Lord Mallard?

Status
Not open for further replies.