• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How late are the buses you use most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMc7

Established Member
McGill's 757 used to be horrendous from Paisley to Clydebank. Scheduled to take an hour but circa 2013 the Caetano Darts had repeated breakdowns on route. Passengers were forced to wait 30 minutes for the next full length. Giving 90 minute end to end instead of 60. Luckily one morning a Caetano managed to limpalong from Inchinnan Business Park to the depot just as Wee Andy was running light in a Bluebird to Clydebank area, so Clydebank passengers were ferried direct to Clydebank on this via Red Smiddy and A726 whilst intermediate Erskine pax either waited on a replacement 757 or used a 22/23/A/X

I've only used that 757 a couple of times tbh. When it was the old 22C that done Paisley to Clydebank though I used that for college and it was terrible. Always about 20mins late either way

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Get Out There

Also on this route an ALX400 T-CLO IIRC was allocated to a full length 757. The Kilbowie bridge was thought of so the decker only ran to Inchinnan Depot, but replacement bus was not ready so delays occurred.

The same thing happened at Larkfield when a B7TL was assigned to a Barrhead run. Although the bridge would accomodate it, the driver was not willing to risk it "not on his watch" anyway so stopped at Larkfield near Depot Gate North to swap for an L113.

Worth noting I snapped an Enviro 500 in Barrhead. My favourite First Glasgow odd working!!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
On a Sunday I regularly catch the 7.25 Cardiff Bus 17 from my house into the city centre which is regularly up to ten minutes late. I have no idea how on a Sunday morning when there is absolutely ZERO traffic but it's particularly annoying because it only runs at a half hourly frequency before 9am so you have to time it right.

PaulMc7

Established Member
On a Sunday I regularly catch the 7.25 Cardiff Bus 17 from my house into the city centre which is regularly up to ten minutes late. I have no idea how on a Sunday morning when there is absolutely ZERO traffic but it's particularly annoying because it only runs at a half hourly frequency before 9am so you have to time it right.

That happens with the 1s here a lot on a Sunday but it's the tightness of the timetable that is absolutely impossible to stick to

Get Out There

Sundays are generally a loss maker so will be run with absolute minimum resource they can get away with.

Definitely. The only thing stopping Scottish Sunday bus services being pruned as much as England is that Scottish shops being open all day on Sundays generates just enough demand to make operation worthwhile.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Definitely. The only thing stopping Scottish Sunday bus services being pruned as much as England is that Scottish shops being open all day on Sundays generates just enough demand to make operation worthwhile.

Wonder how long that'll last because the high street is falling apart in most places around Scotland. There's nothing that differentiates shopping centres from each other anymore tbh. The only ones I think were great successes around Glasgow are Silverburn and Glasgow Fort and maybe Braehead

Get Out There

A scary thought is that Monday to Friday McGill's 3 is less frequent than Sunday Arriva 3 a decade ago!!

PaulMc7

Established Member
A scary thought is that Monday to Friday McGill's 3 is less frequent than Sunday Arriva 3 a decade ago!!

That is scary tbh. The scary one for me is the fact of how frequent the 16 and 20 used to be into East Kilbride compared to what the 21 is now. Not 100% sure about the 16 frequency but at one point in EK the 18,20,66 and 201 were all 10min frequencies with the 16 being reasonable too and now the 21 is only good at peak times beyond Cathkin. Jordanhill had great buses in the past too. Frequent 16 at one end and the 44 was every 10mins before I left school and that was only in 2012

route101

Established Member
Also on this route an ALX400 T-CLO IIRC was allocated to a full length 757. The Kilbowie bridge was thought of so the decker only ran to Inchinnan Depot, but replacement bus was not ready so delays occurred.

The same thing happened at Larkfield when a B7TL was assigned to a Barrhead run. Although the bridge would accomodate it, the driver was not willing to risk it "not on his watch" anyway so stopped at Larkfield near Depot Gate North to swap for an L113.

Worth noting I snapped an Enviro 500 in Barrhead. My favourite First Glasgow odd working!![/QUOTE

Remember seeing deckers on the Barrhead 103 ofteb
That is scary tbh. The scary one for me is the fact of how frequent the 16 and 20 used to be into East Kilbride compared to what the 21 is now. Not 100% sure about the 16 frequency but at one point in EK the 18,20,66 and 201 were all 10min frequencies with the 16 being reasonable too and now the 21 is only good at peak times beyond Cathkin. Jordanhill had great buses in the past too. Frequent 16 at one end and the 44 was every 10mins before I left school and that was only in 2012

Was the 20 every ten mins ? I think they put in peak jouneys on the 21 to make every 15 mins at peak

PaulMc7

Established Member
Was the 20 every ten mins ? I think they put in peak jouneys on the 21 to make every 15 mins at peak

Yeah it was. 6A was meant as a direct timetable replacement for it between City centre and Drumchapel but they made the 21 every 15 mins to Gardenhall and Lindsayfield with alternating journeys. Yeah the peak journeys get extended from Cathkin to East Kilbride bus station

route101

Established Member
Yeah it was. 6A was meant as a direct timetable replacement for it between City centre and Drumchapel but they made the 21 every 15 mins to Gardenhall and Lindsayfield with alternating journeys. Yeah the peak journeys get extended from Cathkin to East Kilbride bus station

Forgot about the Lindsayfield bit , i guess that was the 16 replacement . The 18 and 21 swapped a bit of route in EK too .

PaulMc7

Established Member
Forgot about the Lindsayfield bit , i guess that was the 16 replacement . The 18 and 21 swapped a bit of route in EK too .

Think Lindsayfield is the only part of EK without a First bus tbh. Built a lot of houses there too but I'd imagine a lot of people that moved into them have cars

Get Out There

I think EK lends itself to the Hub and Spoke model. Noone in Greenhills locale wants a slow trip to Glasgow. In my opinion
18 and 21 should terminate at EK Bus Station.
31 should run more frequently to EK Bus Station as the fast Glasgow bus for Town Centre, Village and Stewartfield.
201 should operate to EK then direct to Hairmyres via Centrewest and Queensway.
A local service EK1 should link Hairmyres, Gardenhall, Greenhills, Lindsayfield, Town Centre.
The 6 should remain the same, giving an indirect link to Glasgow and direct links for Calderwood to EK/Glasgow.
This would give supply where there is demand. Punters don't like changing buses but from my observations, fresh air is being carried in parts of EK.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think EK lends itself to the Hub and Spoke model. Noone in Greenhills locale wants a slow trip to Glasgow. In my opinion
31 should run more frequently to EK Bus Station as the fast Glasgow bus for Town Centre, Village and Stewartfield.
A local service EK1 should link Hairmyres, Gardenhall, Greenhills, Lindsayfield, Town Centre.
The 6 should remain the same, giving an indirect link to Glasgow and direct links for Calderwood to EK/Glasgow.
This would give supply where there is demand. Punters don't like changing buses but from my observations, fresh air is being carried in parts of EK.

Tbh because of where my girlfriend's mum and dad stay the 18 and 21 are needed for us for the long journey but yeah I do think they could make them a bit quicker. Even have buses from Kingsgate to Greenhills and Gardenhall for the 18 and 21 there and have the current ones go queensway to the centre. Think the 6 needs a bit of a rework too tbh

LancasterRed

Preston Bus: they just don't turn up half of the time*

*except the 6, 19, 23, 35 or 89 - the PBT lovechilds

Jokes aside usually about 10-15 late. Lancaster it depends. The 40/41/42 do lose some time, everything else is usually fine, just absolutely sardined

PaulMc7

Established Member
Preston Bus: they just don't turn up half of the time*

*except the 6, 19, 23, 35 or 89 - the PBT lovechilds

Jokes aside usually about 10-15 late. Lancaster it depends. The 40/41/42 do lose some time, everything else is usually fine, just absolutely sardined

Yeah some buses here are either quiet or absolutely sardined. I remember one time being on a 1C and it was genuinely about 20/25 people over recommended capacity. Normally full is about 70 people. This had easily above 90

route101

Established Member

Id love a more frequent 31 , but that willcarry fresh air . Most people who use the 31 stay from Croftfoot up to top of CAstlemilk , its a fast bus into town.

route101

Established Member
Think Lindsayfield is the only part of EK without a First bus tbh. Built a lot of houses there too but I'd imagine a lot of people that moved into them have cars

Wouldnt fancy staying up there relying on the bus . Yeah plenty of new housing up there , some of which must be 20 years old now.

route101

Established Member

There is a core of people in EK that dont go out EK to be fair , ek is their planet

PaulMc7

Established Member
Wouldnt fancy staying up there relying on the bus . Yeah plenty of new housing up there , some of which must be 20 years old now.

There is a core of people in EK that dont go out EK to be fair , ek is their planet

Surprised even the M1 doesn't go through Lindsayfield. Tbh it is a big enough plus and has pretty much everything except a hospital

route101

Established Member
Surprised even the M1 doesn't go through Lindsayfield. Tbh it is a big enough plus and has pretty much everything except a hospital

I think the 395 goes through it or passes the area. The 21 went up there.

duncanp

Established Member
You should try the 11A/11C Outer Circle bus in Birmingham.

With a route length of 27 miles, and a running time of up to two and a half hours, it is very prone to traffic congestion and bunching of buses.

Twenty five minute waits in the morning rush hour are not unknown (should be every 7 - 8 minutes) often followed by four buses turning up all at once.

Shimbleshanks

Not buses but coaches - I had to meet my Missus at the arrivals side of Victoria Coach Station in London yesterday (Sunday) evening at around 20.30. At one stage, every arrival on the first of the three screens was flashing up as 'Delayed - no information'.
Strangely, though, her coach (from Paris) turned up 30 minutes early.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I think the 395 goes through it or passes the area. The 21 went up there.

Yeah the 395 goes along there and back out and through Gardenhall to Hairmyres. Such a long route through EK just even to Newton Mearns so I can understand why it's rarely busy too

LancasterRed

Preston Bus: almost always 5 or so minutes late except on the flagship routes where everything is put in. If one of the vehicles goes off one's taken off a lesser route without warning. Think the 6, 14 and 31 has about a 20% chance of just not showing up

Coastal Coaches: 5 minutes late generally but picks it up in the rural areas. Only ever had one not turn up, like Preston Bus have no active social media to inform of issues

Stagecoach MCSL: rarely late, if so it'll be on longer services that have travelled many miles

Stagecoach CNL: same really, even running extra crowd busters through one of the most elegant systems I've seen using Lancaster University to pivot buses on an as and when basis, ensuring there's almost always an express in.

Except at night when everything's a good 20 minutes late due to overcrowding

Transdev 152: flawless!

Wirewiper

My local Stagecoach services in my adopted home town of Torquay only routinely fall apart during the school Summer holidays, for obvious reasons. Otherwise services run mainly to time and there are only really problems when there is an incident on the roads, or when Torquay seafront is closed during storms - the diversion is lengthy, up to Shiphay, along the Ring Road and back through Preston Down as there is no shorter route that is suitable for double deck buses. What helps reliability is that the busiest route, the 12 between Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton and Brixham has a different timetable from April to October with more running and recovery time; and also that routes have recovery time en-route at Torquay Harbourside and Paignton Bus Station, which also allow driver changeovers to take place without delaying the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.