• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long does it take to walk the entire length of the Northern Line from Morden to High Barnet via Bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiggism

Hi guys I am planning to walk the entire length of the Northern Line if anybody can give me a rough idea of how long it takes, would be greatly appreciated. I think I am average paced walker.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
Hi guys I am planning to walk the entire length of the Northern Line if anybody can give me a rough idea of how long it takes, would be greatly appreciated. I think I am average paced walker.
I suggest putting the route into Google maps and it will give you a rough idea.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Done a bit of playing on Google maps and it suggests about 9 hours. Didn't touch every station though.

Hophead

Established Member
Via Bank or Charing Cross? Or somehow combining them both?

Jimini

Established Member
That A24 / A3 stretch south of the river up to the Elephant is soul destroyingly boring even when cycling it, let alone walking! Good luck :D

AndrewE

Established Member
That A24 / A3 stretch south of the river up to the Elephant is soul destroyingly boring even when cycling it, let alone walking! Good luck :D
Quite.
It's what buses, trams and trains were invented for... I even find that walking disused railways is tedious (long, straight, flat, often tree-hemmed) so a long slog along a busy road would definitely make a walk not worth doing. Might be fun to find a succession of buses which stick to it as closely as possible though...

BrianW

Established Member
Quite.
It's what buses, trams and trains were invented for... I even find that walking disused railways is tedious (long, straight, flat, often tree-hemmed) so a long slog along a busy road would definitely make a walk not worth doing. Might be fun to find a succession of buses which stick to it as closely as possible though...
Somewhat agreeing. Ignoring thoughts that you might walk along the track- haha- I could see the point if you were hoping to demonstrate how much quicker it might be, or raising money for some charity that might in some way relate. Seriously good luck to you. Will the Guinness Book of World Records be interested? Well done those who have responded more supportively.

Lucan

Established Member
Will the Guinness Book of World Records be interested?
There are guys who run the Underground and other routes, such as the guy who does "Running on Rail" on YouTube, so I doubt that walking would set any records.

alf

On Moderation
I walked from Finchley Central to High Barnet Station on the Dollis valley green walk which is entirely footpaths shadowing the Northern line & starting just north of Finchley Central station.

You are on the right track when you have the viaduct to Mill Hill looming high up on your left side & then the path turns right following the stream towards Barnet.
From memory, it was pre Covid, a very pleasant green walk taking about 90 mins, although the last lap was steeply up hill to High Barnet Station.
Google Dollis Valley Greenwalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.