• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How long will LU stock be left for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian G

Established Member
The thing with the D Stock is that, whilst they were given brand spanking new interiors and a paint job whilst being refurbished, under the floor is the same traction equipment etc. that they had pre-refurbishment. Whilst cosmetically they're new, mechanically they aren't. Although it would be nice to see them survive for longer in any case.

They did something with the bogies while the trains were being refurbished

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've never ridden upon the D78 Stock. The only one I haven't, as of yet. I will get on one soon hopefully! It doesn't surprise me that the C69/C77 are the most unreliable. They have been for quite a while and I don't think they've lasted as well as the A62/60 Stock from Cravens.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've never ridden upon the D78 Stock. The only one I haven't, as of yet. I will get on one soon hopefully! It doesn't surprise me that the C69/C77 are the most unreliable. They have been for quite a while and I don't think they've lasted as well as the A62/60 Stock from Cravens.

I've always liked the D Stock - it retained great character before its refurbishment and even after, they are still nice trains to travel on.

The C Stock have always been fairly unreliable, a lot of new ideas were tried out on them - many of which didn't work as well as intended. The four sets of double doors per car side also increases the number of possible door faults and contribute to a lot of failures, I believe.

Manchester77

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that the C stock was intended for automatic train operation (ATO) like n the Victoria line but this never happened so they have an unusual cab layout that's not that practice?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Am I right in thinking that the C stock was intended for automatic train operation (ATO) like n the Victoria line but this never happened so they have an unusual cab layout that's not that practice?

Yes - the C Stock, 1972 and 1973 Stocks were all designed with ATO in mind. The cab layout puts the Traction Brake Controller on the left, instead of its more traditional location at the drivers right hand. I believe the S Stock returns to having the controller on the left, again with future ATO in mind (the 2009 Stock has the main cab on the right, so is unusual enough anyway!).

Status
Not open for further replies.