• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How loud are detonators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloster

Established Member
When I did my induction course at Eastleigh in 1978 we were thoroughly warned about treating detonators with respect, but not fear. Previously they had demonstrated them by putting a couple down on the railhead and letting a shunter (an 08 or 09, not a Leading Railman) run over them. However, because the explosion could be heard right over into the town, they had stopped this as it meant advising the police and so on beforehand. (I presume that the police had also got fed up with people dialling 999 and reporting a massive attack by the boyos.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Recessio

OP, have you considered putting in a Freedom of Information Act request to see if any organisation has a standard in place that might confirm e.g. a required dB level?

karlos

Detonator salute for the last train at Banbury North box before closure (6:41). I bet that woke up the neighbourhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.