• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many interviews did you have before being successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamanoob

3rd interview and 3rd time of thanks but no thanks.
After trying on and off for about 10 years with maybe 6 or 7 applications I've had 3 interviews for 3 different roles and 3 unsuccessful interviews. Still going to try to get in regardless but was wondering how many times you guys tried before getting into the business.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TacoTraveller

After trying on and off for about 10 years with maybe 6 or 7 applications I've had 3 interviews for 3 different roles and 3 unsuccessful interviews. Still going to try to get in regardless but was wondering how many times you guys tried before getting into the business.
I've only ever tried at the same place once.

But that once I've put a lot of research into techniques such as STAR, background of the company and their influence in the area I'm from and the role itself.

If you've tried 3 times with 3 different roles are you just trying to get into rail any means possible or do you genuinely have a passion for it?

Interviewers can usually see those who are passionate about a role and those who merely see it as a job.

nb2001uk

Applying for TD jobs makes you age! I was 22 when I had my first one and passed it but I was withdrawn from the courses shortly before it started. So if I pass my next one, do I say it took me 2 attempts to be successful or 1:s

Last edited by a moderator:

ComUtoR

Established Member
First shot, totally winged it.

I think I was fortunate in that I had no preconceptions about the Railway, had no knowledge of the process, not a clue about what they might ask, and no expectations. This was also almost 20yrs ago so there might be something in that too.

There is a lot to be said about going in totally blind or being so overly prepared that your answers are the same as the next persons and nothing makes you stand out. I also firmly believe that people have forgotten the interview basics.

Places like this forum are a double edged sword because too much knowledge can be a bad thing.

Economist

As a would be trainee, I got in after my fifth interview. One of the ones I missed out on was a shunter role which I'd have struggled with anyway, however the remaining three were all mainline driving. It can be done, don't let your experience so far put you off.

I've had an easier time as a qualified driver with interviews, two offers from three interviews in the past two years and I accepted both offers, albeit they were over a year apart.

PupCuff

Second interview, I think. First one although the pay was higher, would have meant moving down south and the resultant massive cost of living increase, so in hindsight probably some benefit to not getting it in the long term.

Keep cracking at it and use each application as an opportunity to learn and develop. There might be other jobs in rail you hadn't considered and would enjoy too - keep an open mind.

NI 271

Places like this forum are a double edged sword because too much knowledge can be a bad thing.
I missed out on several positions for this reason. I didn't need to have missed any, I just listened to bum info on here when I should have just done my own thing. I've still been driving trains on my own for nearly 8 years and there's no way I'm ever doing owt else unless summat has gone badly wrong. It's the best job going, imo, and if I ever have to do anything else, my life is going to be genuinely miserable.

BrummieBobby

I found the hard part was getting to the interview stage. I only ever applied for signalling positions (Only operational job on the railway that I was interested in, was never fussed on becoming a driver, guard etc.)

I got an interview for a single manned, AB box and was offered the job, but later failed the medical (I am a type 1 diabetic and, at the time, type 1s were not allowed to do safety critical work in a lone working environment) Several years later, I applied again for a job in a multi-manned TCB signalling centre; passed the interview again and passed the medical.

So, in all, it took me:
Several applications
2 interviews (Both successful)
2 medicals (1 failed, 1 passed)

alxndr

Established Member
For me it was first time, although originally had a "no" but was put on the reserve list.

Urobach

Second time - even I wouldn't have hired me at my first attempt, an absolute shocking performance :D

AverageJoe

First time I ever applied for the job I got in.

I do respect the commitment of many on here who keep applying again and again.

There’s so many hurdles.

I know of some who have passed the psychometrics to enhanced standard but now can’t even get past the application stage.

GalaxyDog

Oh boy. It's harder once you're in the industry if you get lumped in with a bad TOC to move on.

Joining the railway took me four applications, one at four different TOCs. One claimed I hadn't passed the SCAAT etc tests, so got sent home early. Three I got to final interview.
One, the interviewing manager just wanted to go home and verbally skewered me, so no dice. The second, I ticked all the boxes and the manager had really wanted to hire me, but, as I'd had no frontline / face to face experience, he had to choose a numner of ex air cabin crew, and the third I managed to get into the talent pool and nine months later started at my franchise when it was run by good people.

2019 I decided to change franchises and it has been an uphill battle. I'm now in the mid-20s of how many times I've applied elsewhere. Five TOCs?

A)Applied 11 times for differing roles. Offered four interviews.
B)Applied 8 times, most recent most successful but am waiting to hear back on the interview process...(fingers crossed. Please please PLEASE.)
C)Applied once, a freak incident where they could trace an enquiry email but said TOC 'lost' an email with safety of line paperwork meant that they washed out my application.
D)Applied once, was shortlisted for interview but never heard back.
E)Applied for driver, I messed up at the MMI stage.

James185

Conductor x2 both unsuccessful (about a year apart)

Conductor x1 successful (after a few years gaining more relevant experience in a safety critical role outside of the railway)

Driver 1x Multi Modal Interview and 1X Driver Manager Interview both successful.

Now in a 'talent' pool for trainee driver position at the TOC I am currently employed by.

I think, perhaps, looking back I didn't have the required experience during the first two interviews for conducting. I recieved constructive feedback both times in order to try to develop weaker areas.

It can be tough, but gaining safety critical experience in responsible roles outside the railway certainly helped me.

MT18

Failed my first DMI, was devastated. Won’t give up no chance. Got into network rail first time though.

iSquared

If you've tried 3 times with 3 different roles are you just trying to get into rail any means possible or do you genuinely have a passion for it?

Trying to get into the railway by any means sounds like they do have a passion for it.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Trying to get into the railway by any means

sounds like they do have a passion for it.

Not sure I'd completely agree. Interviewers do get a sense of who has a genuine passion for a role and those who just want the job as a step stone elsewhere. Someone who has applied for the same role multiple times could be considered to have a passion for that particular role but plenty are applying for a platform job because they want a Drivers job.

It could also be a case of those who have interviewed for multiple TOCs come across as going for a TOC just 'to get their key' and plan to move on. This can come across in an interview as some people may not come across as well because they are more going through the motions rather than showing any passion for that TOC.

This isn't just a railway thing either.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
You’ve done well to get the interviews, across 5 years I applied for 6 positions…..3 Gateline, 1 OBS,
1 part time OBS & at Head Office a recruitment position as I’d had experience in previous employment.

4 of the positions I applied for were on the TOC web site, 1 was an ‘internal’ application on a list of vacancies on my line & 1 whilst working at a mainline station the TOCs ‘secret shopper’ (a recruitment lady) had approached me to apply for a job, all of those went nowhere when I applied & I always got “thank you but no thank you” & the ‘internal’ application I didn’t even get a response.

I was working on the railway up until fairly recently as agency covering CSA, Gateline & for main line work that went on for several weeks as Customer Ambassador.

I think the first success is securing an interview, I had no divine right to a job or interview & it can be disheartening but I knew I wasn’t the only one struggling to ‘get through the door’

Good luck going forward OP

Tevion539

when it comes to TOCs, I have applied for three trainee guard positions, two got through to interviews. passed both first time. I didnt end up getting the first successful application due to COVID, then for some reason GWR just did not want to know. TfW then accepted and I will be doing a medical at the end of the month. When it comes to TfW however, I think I have applied for three or four positions with them over the years, from customer service, fleet shunter, RPO and a trainee conductor. All but the trainee conductor failed at the first part of the process, so didnt get an interview. I am just happy that I have now been offered a provisional offer of employment

iSquared

Not sure I'd completely agree. Interviewers do get a sense of who has a genuine passion for a role and those who just want the job as a step stone elsewhere. Someone who has applied for the same role multiple times could be considered to have a passion for that particular role but plenty are applying for a platform job because they want a Drivers job.

It could also be a case of those who have interviewed for multiple TOCs come across as going for a TOC just 'to get their key' and plan to move on. This can come across in an interview as some people may not come across as well because they are more going through the motions rather than showing any passion for that TOC.

This isn't just a railway thing either.

I think you’re reading too much into it. If somebody is trying to get into an industry by an means, there’s a good chance they have a passion for it. That’s all I was saying. The comment I was replying to implied that one negated the other. People get into aviation by any means because they have a passion for aviation, etc.

It doesn’t mean they definitely DO have a passion but it think it’s wrong to suggest they don’t.

AverageJoe

I think you’re reading too much into it. If somebody is trying to get into an industry by an means, there’s a good chance they have a passion for it. That’s all I was saying. The comment I was replying to implied that one negated the other. People get into aviation by any means because they have a passion for aviation, etc.

It doesn’t mean they definitely DO have a passion but it think it’s wrong to suggest they don’t.
Plenty of people want to drive trains purely for the wage.

If I didn’t need money would I still turn up and drive a train? NOPE!

for me a passion is something you do unconditionally.

guardofhonour

My advice is do your research about the company you are applying for. Ensure you know things like who the Managing Director is, how many trains per day does your TOC run, how many staff are employed etc. This shows your pro-activeness and desire to learn. Dependant on which role you are going for, prepare for your interview with real life experiences. Remember to use the STAR format as interviewers want to see you provide evidence of times YOU made the difference. They don’t want to know what you WOULD do, they want to know what you DID do.

TacoTraveller

Trying to get into the railway by any means sounds like they do have a passion for it.
I don't agree at all. I've been in a few jobs (my current one for example) where people join for a minimum time to get a notch on their CV to then move onto what they really want.

And I've known talking into the 20's of people who have purely gone into the railway because of how lucrative the wage is and not because they have a passion for it.

Plus I'm not saying that OP doesn't, but personally I love driving and can't see me doing anything else. I'd never apply for other roles in order to some roundabout way get the role I wanted.

And that is why I asked the question of do they? At no point did I assume they didn't.

Interviewers can pick up on those who are interested and those who see it as a skipping stone or just a high wage

iSquared

Plenty of people want to drive trains purely for the wage.

If I didn’t need money would I still turn up and drive a train? NOPE!

for me a passion is something you do unconditionally.

So you can’t be passionate about something that pays you? I’m going to have to disagree with you.

Tevion539

So you can’t be passionate about something that pays you? I’m going to have to disagree with you.
I know I am passionate about it, I did mention in my interviews that I am motivated by money... however that doesnt changet the fact that it's a career I've always chased because I am passionate about it. I personally think you can be passionate and still want money. I mean, moeny pays bills. whoever says money isnt a part of any decision probably isnt being 100% honest.

Iamanoob

I know I am passionate about it, I did mention in my interviews that I am motivated by money... however that doesnt changet the fact that it's a career I've always chased because I am passionate about it. I personally think you can be passionate and still want money. I mean, moeny pays bills. whoever says money isnt a part of any decision probably isnt being 100% honest.
Ha, maybe that is where i wenr wrong, told them i wasn't motivated by money.

Tevion539

Ha, maybe that is where i wenr wrong, told them i wasn't motivated by money.
I mean, I'm not sure. It's when they asked me when have I put needs of a business before my own. I realised I probably should not have said it afterward, but it seemed to go okay :lol:

TacoTraveller

I mean, I'm not sure. It's when they asked me when have I put needs of a business before my own. I realised I probably should not have said it afterward, but it seemed to go okay :lol:
Can't beat one reason I heard.

The candidate was asked "where do you see yourself in 5 years time"

They replied, I see myself as a Train Driver within 5 years.

This was a light rail job interview

RyanC87

First shot, totally winged it.

I think I was fortunate in that I had no preconceptions about the Railway, had no knowledge of the process, not a clue about what they might ask, and no expectations. This was also almost 20yrs ago so there might be something in that too.

There is a lot to be said about going in totally blind or being so overly prepared that your answers are the same as the next persons and nothing makes you stand out. I also firmly believe that people have forgotten the interview basics.

Exactly this for me. Currently in training on first attempt. I was very lucky from applying to starting was 4 months

Tevion539

Can't beat one reason I heard.

The candidate was asked "where do you see yourself in 5 years time"

They replied, I see myself as a Train Driver within 5 years.

This was a light rail job interview
I'm not sure if it was the honesty or the rest of my interview that went well. I've certianly had worse! My first interview out of school in McD's when they asked why I wanted to work for them.... I repled "it isn't a glamarous job, but I wish to gain experience." Not my proudest moment. Glad I've grown up in the past 8 years. :s

Also, I presume they were applying for something completely different from a driver?

AverageJoe

Fair enough. I see your point.

I’m passionate about keeping my job and as far as jobs go I enjoy it but if I could retire now I would, there is many more things I would rather do with my time than drive a train.

However since work is a must I’m glad this is the job I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.