• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many interviews did you have before being successful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCC106

Established Member
Successful at first interview. Application to medical was between two and three months, started 3 weeks after medical. Did a lot to prepare for interview and tests though. Right place, right time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TacoTraveller

I'm not sure if it was the honesty or the rest of my interview that went well. I've certianly had worse! My first interview out of school in McD's when they asked why I wanted to work for them.... I repled "it isn't a glamarous job, but I wish to gain experience." Not my proudest moment. Glad I've grown up in the past 8 years. :s

Also, I presume they were applying for something completely different from a driver?
Nope. Wanted to be an LRV driver. Told the interviewer within 5 years they wanted to be a train driver.

They didn't get the job

Aviator88

Nope. Wanted to be an LRV driver. Told the interviewer within 5 years they wanted to be a train driver.

They didn't get the job
There does appear to be a theme (when reading the stories on here) of people applying for non-mainline driving jobs sabotaging their chances with that very honest answer, and I can add my own experience to it.
Many years ago I applied for two separate customer facing (ticket office) roles with the same TOC - I wanted to be a driver but never saw them advertising externally so sought to get into the industry at any level. I was very candid about this, but the moment it was mentioned I felt the atmosphere of the interview shift away from what was initially a very positive start.
My advice would be to only apply for roles that you know you can fully invest in - you could potentially be taking the chance away from somebody who would happily spend their career in the job that you are treating as a stepping stone.

iSquared

My advice would be to only apply for roles that you know you can fully invest in - you could potentially be taking the chance away from somebody who would happily spend their career in the job that you are treating as a stepping stone.

I appreciate the sentiment but if a role is a way for somebody to step closer to their dream, I would recommend they take it. If you let everybody else go before you, you’ll always end up at the back. The job market is a competition and you have to look after your family, eat and pay bills like anybody else.

Following this advice, I’d be homeless waiting for NASA to call

bill55bill

First shot, totally winged it.

I think I was fortunate in that I had no preconceptions about the Railway, had no knowledge of the process, not a clue about what they might ask, and no expectations. This was also almost 20yrs ago so there might be something in that too.

There is a lot to be said about going in totally blind or being so overly prepared that your answers are the same as the next persons and nothing makes you stand out. I also firmly believe that people have forgotten the interview basics.

Places like this forum are a double edged sword because too much knowledge can be a bad thing.
This.

Previously worked outside the railway, didn't have a clue about anything, applied for guard job and got it first time.

Added advantage was that I was already in a secure (and much better paid) job so even if I'd failed it wouldn't have been the end of the world for me.

I was lucky to be under no pressure whatsoever but I realise that that is not the position most people find themselves in.

TacoTraveller

There does appear to be a theme (when reading the stories on here) of people applying for non-mainline driving jobs sabotaging their chances with that very honest answer, and I can add my own experience to it.
Many years ago I applied for two separate customer facing (ticket office) roles with the same TOC - I wanted to be a driver but never saw them advertising externally so sought to get into the industry at any level. I was very candid about this, but the moment it was mentioned I felt the atmosphere of the interview shift away from what was initially a very positive start.
Exactly this, not saying it can't be done. Getting your foot in the door is a better chance to get the role you need. But it can also not happen for you either.

With stuff like that, if they ask me where I see myself (and it's not a driving job but I want one) I usually say that I see myself working frontline, customer involved and outside where the job changes daily leading to daily challenges.

Then you're basically conveying both jobs even though you know what you're job you're talking about.

Obviously honest is the best policy can work but depends on the scenario

GalaxyDog

To get into the industry - four, one at four separate TOCs. One TOC had 12 of us in for assessment days (SCAAT, RAAT etc) and sent home 10 of us after this point including self. Other three were all final interviews. One I didn't get, as in the post interview feedback, I ticked all the boxes but hadn't had customer facing experience. A second was bad luck; the interviewing manager was aggressive, tired and just wanted to go home, so basically used the interview to use me as a verbal pin cushion; and the third I got talent pooled and a start six months later.

Now since then...last few years, as an experienced railway worker...do not get me started.

AverageJoe

To get into the industry - four, one at four separate TOCs. One TOC had 12 of us in for assessment days (SCAAT, RAAT etc) and sent home 10 of us after this point including self. Other three were all final interviews. One I didn't get, as in the post interview feedback, I ticked all the boxes but hadn't had customer facing experience. A second was bad luck; the interviewing manager was aggressive, tired and just wanted to go home, so basically used the interview to use me as a verbal pin cushion; and the third I got talent pooled and a start six months later.

Now since then...last few years, as an experienced railway worker...do not get me started.
Could it not be that you may have things to work on?
Seems to be a lot of deflection going on.
I’m sure you have been dealt with harshly in some instances but there seems to be a lot of smoke yet no fire.

GalaxyDog

Could it not be that you may have things to work on?
Seems to be a lot of deflection going on.
I’m sure you have been dealt with harshly in some instances but there seems to be a lot of smoke yet no fire.

Not really, this was eight nine years ago :lol: The TOC where I got through to interview but didn't get it because I didn't have facing experience at the time I have no issues with - they very kindly contacted me after with the feedback and explained it! That's how I remember it after so long, because it was so unusual to actually get feedback after an interview and not just be rejected with a one line template. At the time, I seem to recall a fair few airlines were shedding cabin crew staff, so a lot had been applying to the railways and why not? :) Fair game to them. No issues there, that was just how it rolled and it was true - all my customer service experience at that point had been online, postal and telephone based so no hard feelings.

The one where the manager was basically in head for home mode - I'm sticking by that. It turned out later that I dodged a bullet, as he was actually infamous for harrassment and favouritism.

If you're angling at my more recent remarks, it's a headscratcher. I'd overhauled my CV several times, made sure I had good examples for almost any scenario question that could be thrown at me during application process, translated into the STAR process and so on. But it is known that some TOCs would rather just recruit from outside and avoid taking on qualified staff. One TOC in particular for random vacancies now even has this as a formal screening question and if you say yes, the website blocks you from continuing with the application.

AverageJoe

Not really, this was eight nine years ago :lol: The TOC where I got through to interview but didn't get it because I didn't have facing experience at the time I have no issues with - they very kindly contacted me after with the feedback and explained it! That's how I remember it after so long, because it was so unusual to actually get feedback after an interview and not just be rejected with a one line template. At the time, I seem to recall a fair few airlines were shedding cabin crew staff, so a lot had been applying to the railways and why not? :) Fair game to them. No issues there, that was just how it rolled and it was true - all my customer service experience at that point had been online, postal and telephone based so no hard feelings.

The one where the manager was basically in head for home mode - I'm sticking by that. It turned out later that I dodged a bullet, as he was actually infamous for harrassment and favouritism.

If you're angling at my more recent remarks, it's a headscratcher. I'd overhauled my CV several times, made sure I had good examples for almost any scenario question that could be thrown at me during application process, translated into the STAR process and so on. But it is known that some TOCs would rather just recruit from outside and avoid taking on qualified staff. One TOC in particular for random vacancies now even has this as a formal screening question and if you say yes, the website blocks you from continuing with the application.
Fair enough.
Was just your last few posts on this subject made me wonder.
Hopefully you are either in the job you want now or at least on the way there.

Seejwalker

I’ve had 4 interviews for 4 individual jobs and been successful on all.

Freightliner trainee driver 2018
DB Cargo Junior Driver 2018
Signaller Grade 7 2018 (current role)
DRS trainee driver 2022 (start in a few weeks)

I’m not special. But I take a lot of time to understand the interview process. What is actually expected of you during an interview, and how to properly answer the questions, in a way each respective company will respond well to.

Iamanoob

The thing that was most annoying (especially the 2nd interview) was I did a lot of studying for the roles and they never asked questions about the role. Just questions about me and what I did in "certain" situations.
Tried applying for another position and cannot apply till next year as I've reached the application limit.

Tevion539

The thing that was most annoying (especially the 2nd interview) was I did a lot of studying for the roles and they never asked questions about the role. Just questions about me and what I did in "certain" situations.
Tried applying for another position and cannot apply till next year as I've reached the application limit.
I mean the situational questions one would assume is relevant to the role?

Iamanoob

I mean the situational questions one would assume is relevant to the role?
Those questions were the same ones for 3 different roles that I got through for in the last 2 years. Train dispatcher, Ticket Examiner (COVID stopped interviews on that one) and Gateline all Scotrail.

Tevion539

Depends what has been asked. But I could see customer service and safety coming up in at least two of those three roles surely?
Those questions were the same ones for 3 different roles that I got through for in the last 2 years. Train dispatcher, Ticket Examiner (COVID stopped interviews on that one) and Gateline all Scotrail.

We all got asked those questions.
In a job like this they want to see you can think quickly and also explain things clearly and precisely.
True.

mad1976cam

I’m quite a bit older than most… maybe this helps or maybe not?, but I’ve had 2 interviews and got offered both jobs,
Personally I believe you’re playing the interviewer and not the job! I quickly assess the person and get on their wavelength, once the person you’re talking to likes you, the rest is easy!
A lot of the DM’s you’ll come across are old school and don’t really care for the “give me an example” questions, they want to get a feel for if they could work with you!
I’ve never researched or prepared, I’m honest and to the point, ask a lot of questions (ones that matter not one’s a loud bald man tells me to)
Don’t be the same as every other person they interviewed that day, bring something they don’t expect

Tevion539

I’m quite a bit older than most… maybe this helps or maybe not?, but I’ve had 2 interviews and got offered both jobs,
Personally I believe you’re playing the interviewer and not the job! I quickly assess the person and get on their wavelength, once the person you’re talking to likes you, the rest is easy!
A lot of the DM’s you’ll come across are old school and don’t really care for the “give me an example” questions, they want to get a feel for if they could work with you!
I’ve never researched or prepared, I’m honest and to the point, ask a lot of questions (ones that matter not one’s a loud bald man tells me to)
Don’t be the same as every other person they interviewed that day, bring something they don’t expect
I spilled coffee on myself two minutes before my interview! Still went in with a smile and had a joke about a few things. It's still good to tick the boxes when it comes to the questions definitely. But I have been told a lot of interviews do come down to being likeable. If they can't work with you, it doesn't matter how good your answers are you won't get it.

DJD

I first joined the railway as a conductor and I applied 3 times in total and managed to land an interview on my 3rd application. I managed to pass this interview at my first attempt and I went on to become a conductor for around 3 years. Prior to that I was applying for Train Driver jobs and didn’t get anywhere so I saw the conductor role as a way of gaining safety critical experience.

Following on from that I became more experienced in applying for jobs I managed to find tune my cv and learnt how to make sure I was ticking the right boxes in my applications. This I feel is important because you want to make sure your application stands out so learning how to apply for a job is an important skill.

After being a conductor for 3 years I applied for a train driver role with my TOC and managed to secure an interview after my first application. I went on to pass this interview and went on to do the psychometrics. Unfortunately I went on to fall at this hurdle and was absolutely gutted.

After waiting a while I applied for another train driver role with another company and managed to pass the psychometrics and interview and I’ve now been a Train Driver for 4 months.

My advice to anyone is to not give up. Train driver recruitment is notoriously slow and you have to be patient. If you can make sure your application stands out you’ll have a better chance of securing an interview.

Ladder23

Established Member
First shot, totally winged it.

I think I was fortunate in that I had no preconceptions about the Railway, had no knowledge of the process, not a clue about what they might ask, and no expectations. This was also almost 20yrs ago so there might be something in that too.

There is a lot to be said about going in totally blind or being so overly prepared that your answers are the same as the next persons and nothing makes you stand out. I also firmly believe that people have forgotten the interview basics.

Places like this forum are a double edged sword because too much knowledge can be a bad thing.

Couldn’t of said it clearer myself, I was successful with train driving but my attitude was “I don’t need this and I won’t be let down if I don’t get it” but I had a similar experience with the fire service, I wanted that job so badly ever since a child, from a young age I had 3 applications, 3 amazing interviews but wasnt chosen. I got in eventually and have since left, I find when chasing dreams people can look far to much into it when sometimes interviewers want to see a bit of “you” not a perfect answer for everything, I dunno I could well be wrong, everyone’s different but that’s my experience.

Tevion539

Couldn’t of said it clearer myself, I was successful with train driving but my attitude was “I don’t need this and I won’t be let down if I don’t get it” but I had a similar experience with the fire service, I wanted that job so badly ever since a child, from a young age I had 3 applications, 3 amazing interviews but wasnt chosen. I got in eventually and have since left, I find when chasing dreams people can look far to much into it when sometimes interviewers want to see a bit of “you” not a perfect answer for everything, I dunno I could well be wrong, everyone’s different but that’s my experience.
I was chasing a dream with the conductor role I'm starting in January. I don't think my answers were perfect by any means, and my coffee spill probably had an impact. They definitely want to see how you are as a person and how you deal with the nerves of an interview. Even if you know what they're looking for it's better to be humble than a know it all. I was honest in my interview, and when they asked what routes I know I said what I know and I was honest about what I didn't.

MUFCLAD555

Conductor x2 both unsuccessful (about a year apart)

Conductor x1 successful (after a few years gaining more relevant experience in a safety critical role outside of the railway)

Driver 1x Multi Modal Interview and 1X Driver Manager Interview both successful.

Now in a 'talent' pool for trainee driver position at the TOC I am currently employed by.

I think, perhaps, looking back I didn't have the required experience during the first two interviews for conducting. I recieved constructive feedback both times in order to try to develop weaker areas.

It can be tough, but gaining safety critical experience in responsible roles outside the railway certainly helped me.
What was the safety critical role you had in order to gain experience and what kind of positions would you recommend?

Tevion539

What was the safety critical role you had in order to gain experience and what kind of positions would you recommend?
I can personally say driving buses/coaches had helped me. I also gained experience with my local housing association with laying concrete, erecting fences etc. It all helped me to understand health and safety more.. we had a conductor start with us straight out of McDonald's as his first job.

I think, if you're aware of health and safety, and how it directly affects your job role then you're golden.

James185

I was previously a Tram Driver for a couple of years. My traincrew colleagues do have a real mix of backgrounds; police officers, prison officers, cabin crew, pilots, members of the Armed Forces, firefighters, signallers and Bus/HGV/Light Rail Drivers. The common theme in the above roles is having to follow rules and regulations, staying calm under pressure and having responsibility for others. In addition all of the above careers involve some sort of shift work.

Having said that folks are successful without the above experiences and so they are by no means a prerequisite.

MUFCLAD555

I can personally say driving buses/coaches had helped me. I also gained experience with my local housing association with laying concrete, erecting fences etc. It all helped me to understand health and safety more.. we had a conductor start with us straight out of McDonald's as his first job.

I think, if you're aware of health and safety, and how it directly affects your job role then you're golden.
I have reasonable amount of experience in construction but feel my lack of customer service roles may hinder me so I think I may look to do something like that for the time being. Currently waiting to hear back about about a despatch position but if unsuccessful the buses could be something I look at. Much appreciated fella

I was previously a Tram Driver for a couple of years. My traincrew colleagues do have a real mix of backgrounds; police officers, prison officers, cabin crew, pilots, members of the Armed Forces, firefighters, signallers and Bus/HGV/Light Rail Drivers. The common theme in the above roles is having to follow rules and regulations, staying calm under pressure and having responsibility for others. In addition all of the above careers involve some sort of shift work.

Having said that folks are successful without the above experiences and so they are by no means a prerequisite.
The trams definitely interest me but have to have been driving for 3 years for the Metrolink and I’m nearly at 1 so rules me out of that for now, but I don’t think that’s the same requirement in other cities. Completely understand there are no prerequisites just curious at what others have done and what may help me achieve what I truly want which is a career ok the railway. Thanks for replying much appreciated

Tevion539

I have reasonable amount of experience in construction but feel my lack of customer service roles may hinder me so I think I may look to do something like that for the time being. Currently waiting to hear back about about a despatch position but if unsuccessful the buses could be something I look at. Much appreciated fella
If you go down that route of driving buses be mindful most companies will want a minimum two year service or you pay them back for your training. Of course you could go get your licence and CPC yourself, if you can fork that out.

When it comes to applying for these jobs (on the railway) the first thing they need from you is always being safety conscious. Then you can think of customer service (even if it's a corporate customer maybe?) And the usual working towards targets, working as a team, when have you faced challenging situations, remaining calm under pressure etc. Whilst all elements are important, safety is and always will be number one. At least from what I have observed. Good luck in whatever you decide to do :D

MUFCLAD555

If you go down that route of driving buses be mindful most companies will want a minimum two year service or you pay them back for your training. Of course you could go get your licence and CPC yourself, if you can fork that out.

When it comes to applying for these jobs (on the railway) the first thing they need from you is always being safety conscious. Then you can think of customer service (even if it's a corporate customer maybe?) And the usual working towards targets, working as a team, when have you faced challenging situations, remaining calm under pressure etc. Whilst all elements are important, safety is and always will be number one. At least from what I have observed. Good luck in whatever you decide to do :D
Thanks a lot mate lot's of valuable information you've provided there certainly given me something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.