• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Many mainline stations did Swansea have before 1960’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
There were two other termini: Victoria LNWR (2 platforms) at the end of the Central Wales line, closed 1964, and St Thomas (Midland), closed 1950, ditto (Google image searches!)

2138Stafford

There was also Swansea Riverside (R&SB) opened 1895 ,closed 1933 , Swansea East Dock (GW) opened 1880, closed 1936 plus numerous smaller stations and halts within the Swansea area e.g Swansea Bay, Landore HL and LL

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
If you include the stations such as Cockett, Swansea Bay, Upper Bank, Landore, Mumbles Road and Morriston, which have always been areas considered as part of Swansea (at least during my time), then there were at least 9.

I believe that the Rhondda and Swansea Bay had a station or two on the east side of the River Tawe at one point as well. I won't include Gowerton since that magnificent place once had it's own court, so I've always considered it to be separate to Swansea!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks Stafford, for confirming the R&SB station.

On the subject of Landore, I suppose that while the high level and low level stations would have initially been operated as separate entities, but I expect that after the Grouping at the latest they were run as a single entity?

2138Stafford

There was also a short-lived station at Wind Street opened 1863 . closed 1873 due to "opposition from coal owners as it interfered with passage of coal trains"

krus_aragon

Established Member
There's a map on the Wikipedia article on the Swansea and Mumbles Railway that shows historical railway stations in the southern reaches of Swansea.

D.S.M. Barrie states* that Wind Street closed to passengers on 1 March 1873, and suggests its location next to two opening river bridges (a train of 30 coal waggons and engine had gone in the water in 1865!), along with the general increase in river and rail traffic was a contributory factor. Passenger services relocated to the new East Dock station.

*Regional History of Railways of GB, Vol 12

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Check out "Branch Lines Around Swansea" by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith - 2013 ISBN 978 1 908174 38 3

A truly excellent book and well illustrated.

Pre 1914 - there were options for even more lines . such was the economic strength of the area then.

I have always enjoyed the name of the local electric tram company - the Swansea Tramways and Improvements Company. Profits made were ploughed into local parks , swimming bath, art galleries etc - so very akin to the present day.

2138Stafford

And for opening and closure dates see Michael Quick's
Railway Passenger Stations in Great Britain: a Chronology

• ISBN 978-0901461575
Now out of print but 5 supplements are available on the RCHS website

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.