• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many railway stations does Liechtenstein currently have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone please confirm how many railway stations that Liechtenstein currently has?

I am a bit confused as everywhere online seems to show that they have four railway stations as follows:

• Forst Hilti
• Nendeln
• Schaan Vaduz
• Schaanwald

However according to the current train timetable there is only three railway stations. The current timetable makes no mention of Schaanwald railway station at all (it only shows the other three). It can be downloaded here:

https://www.oebb.at/de/dam/jcr:ec2cb155-aedd-450d-9d3e-dc1d5035c577/kif401.pdf

So my question is what exactly has happened to Schaanwald railway station? Do trains still stop here but it is just not shown in the timetable for some reason? Or has it actually been closed? If so then is this a permanent closure or is it only a temporary closure for maintenance works or something like that?

Does anyone know anything about the current status of this station?

Many thanks in advance for any information about this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddington

Thanks for linking the PDF timetable, much easier to plan trips than using an "interactive" tool.

Plan so far is:
- nightjet to Feldkirch and store luggage
- 0649 or 0714 stopper to Buchs
- 0819 to Schaan
- wander around for 4 hours
- 1237 to Feldkirch, retrieve luggage
- any train to Buchs (then on to Zurich)

Any idea whether there is a Tageskarte that can be used instead of separate tickets for each hop (might it even be valid on liemobil buses too)?

U-Bahnfreund

Any idea whether there is a Tageskarte that can be used instead of separate tickets for each hop (might it even be valid on liemobil buses too)?

Any Liemobil tickets that are valid in the whole of Liechtenstein are also valid on the Buchs to Feldkirch line. A standard adult day ticket for all zones is CHF 15. Alternatively there’s the €14.50 Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg “maximo” ticket that is valid in the whole of Vorarlberg and on the line to Buchs through Liechtenstein, but not on Liemobil buses.

Yes i also find those PDF timetables are definitely easier to use than the journey planners. You can download all the other ones for Austria here:

https://www.oebb.at/de/fahrplan/fahrplanbilder.html

I recommend you download the one towards the top that says "Bahnnetz Osterreich" first as this is a map with timetable numbers so you can see exactly which timetable number you need to download. This can be downloaded here:

https://www.oebb.at/de/dam/jcr:7fc18e86-1c23-4cf0-b9e0-94eb05d32c3e/bahnnetz-oebb.pdf

As U-Bahnfreund mentioned you can indeed get day tickets (the ticketing system is run by Liemobil) for the trains and buses which cost as follows:

• 5.00CHF - One Zone Only
• 7.00CHF - Two Zones Only
• 10.00CHF - Three Zones Only
• 13.00CHF - Four Zones Only
• 15.00CHF - All Zones

The zone map can be downloaded on this link:

https://www.liemobil.li/grafik/Liniennetz-gross-mitLegende-2019.pdf

The full liechtenstein bus timetable book can also be downloaded here:

http://europa.gmgnet.li/liemobil/dateiarchiv/allgemein/Fahrplanbuch_-_LIEmobil_-_2019_-_Web.pdf

The 15.00CHF all zones ticket will be the best one for your journey as it allows you to use all trains and buses in Liechtenstein and train and bus services to and from Feldkirch in Austria and Buchs in Switzerland as well.

Although perhaps as U-Bahnfreund mentioned the 14.50EUR Verkehrsverbund Vorarlberg Maximo might be better if you are sure that you only wish to use trains and not the buses.

Also thanks to TRAX for the information about Schaanwald railway station. I hadn't realised it had closed that long ago. It's strange that everywhere online (other than the timetables) seems to indicate that it is still open. It looks like it is in quite good condition for a closed station.

paddington

Just been to Liechtenstein and took various buses as well as the Regio train that stopped at all stations. I crossed the Liechtenstein border 12 times (though nothing happens on the border with Switzerland).

The train line passes through 4 zones, 239+300+301+307.
I misread the above posts and I thought a 4-zone ticket was sufficient for the train, but actually you guys rightly stated that you need an All zones ticket to take the train.

So what happened was that I bought the 4 zone ticket from a bus driver, but the price was CHF 11.90 rather than the expected CHF 13. I misspoke and asked "isn't it 13 euros" when I meant "isn't it 13 francs", then he said it would be EUR 10.20, but I already had the CHF ready so I said "oops sorry I meant francs" and then it didn't go any further. I then picked up a timetable booklet from the bus (which is really unwieldy as a PDF download from the website, but in printed form it is great), where I found the relevant German passage saying that an All zone ticket is needed for the train. Back to that later.

As it happens my ticket was checked on the buses twice, a pair of casually dressed old ladies looked like they were running for the bus (the 11, 13 and 14 all go from Schaan to Feldkirch and they were pretend-acting that they didn't know which one was fastest), then as the doors closed they got out a phone and asked for tickets! However this seemed a bit weird as there can't be that many RPIs for such a small country-wide network, and surely the commuters would recognise them after a few encounters??? (Also nobody boards from the front door unless they want to buy a ticket, or after 8pm as per a notice on the back doors.)

An OEBB Desiro operated the regional train. As I wasn't sure if the 4-zone bus ticket would be valid, I decided to buy the Voralberg Maximo anyway. The train was well-used with at least one person boarding or alighting at every station, and there is a notice on every door stating that you need a valid ticket to board. However, there are no ticketing facilities at the intermediate stations.

I travelled Feldkirch to Buchs first (0849 departure) and there was a conductor. It turned out that everybody else from Feldkirch bought a ticket on the train regardless of there being a ticket office/machines at Feldkirch. I forgot to ask the conductor if she would have accepted the LIEmobil ticket, and on Buchs to Feldkirch (1234 depature) tickets were not checked or sold.

At Buchs station there were Swiss border guards on the platform but they didn't seem to be interested in any passengers. It is not possible to buy a ticket to Feldkirch (only up to Nendeln) at the SBB machines in front of the station. There is an OEBB machine on the platform (takes notes, coins and card, probably not CHF), but if you haven't been there before you wouldn't know about it.

Later I tried the OEBB machines at Feldkirch to buy a standard ticket to Buchs, and it offered me a day ticket for the EUR 10.20 mentioned above - even when I chose the bus departures. So it looks like I should have bought the EUR 10.20 ticket from the OEBB machine and it would have been valid on the buses (at least between Buchs-Schaan-Feldkirch) and the train. Then at most I would only have needed a 1 zone LIEmobil ticket to go to Vaduz. Oh well. As is the case in all these barrier-free countries it's hard to know if something odd is valid and 95% of the time nobody checks (not that barriers in Britain can determine validity either)

eastwestdivide

Established Member
That all sounds monstrously confusing.
I found a drastic solution to the ticket problem in Liechtenstein a few years back by just walking across the entire country from Feldkirch to Buchs, via the hill village of Planken.

radamfi

Established Member
Note that the Swiss Travel Pass and 1-day Travelpasses (including the Saver Day Pass with does not require a Half Fare Card) are valid on buses in Liechtenstein including to Feldkirch.

Status
Not open for further replies.