• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many turntables are there on the UK rail network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D821

I take it there are still turntables in use on the UK rail network - how many of them are there still in use?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
There's one at Yeovil Junction. Probably owned by the heritage site, but I believe usable by the national network. But then you start blurring boundaries and loads of heritage lines could end up on the list if they have a main line connection!

mcmad

I will start you off 1 @ Scarborough & 1 @ York.

I thought the one at York got replaced by a triangle recently?

There is one at Fort William that West Coast are bringing back into use, think its the only one in Scotland on NR now.

I will try and argue that the one at Vintage Trains Tyseley is on the UK network. The land owner is British Railways Board and only leased to Vintage Trains.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This subject comes up quite often. There’s a thread from a couple of years ago here:

Quite a few preserved line ones mentioned in that though.

MarkyT

Established Member

There is one at Fort William that West Coast are bringing back into use, think its the only one in Scotland on NR now.
The other way round. The old triangle was removed from the area immediately to the west of the station to make room for the new ROC building I believe. A replacement turntable has been provided south of the avoiding line in the NR Holgate depot area.

rower40

St Blazey is a bit on-and-off. Can anyone advise whether it's currently operational?

MarkyT

Established Member
St Blazey is a bit on-and-off. Can anyone advise whether it's currently operational?
A new community interest company has been set up to restore the turntable and develop and manage the site as a mainline steam servicing facility. Founders include Mervyn Allcock of Barrow Hill fame.
ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION SKILLS
LESSONS THAT LAST A LIFETIME
MPower Kernow C.I.C. (MPKC) is a new social enterprise established to create a unique technical training centre for STEM, Construction Industry and Environmental Technology Skills.

In Devon, there's a turntable on the Dartmouth Steam Railway at Churston. Mainline steam excursions to Kingswear use this to turn. At Plymouth, there's no turntable, but the Laira depot access arrangements include a triangle that can be used for loco turning. The West Somerset Railway can turn engines on their turntable at Minehead or the triangle at Norton Fitzwarren. Exeter has no turning facility, but steam excursions can arrive from the east on the GWR and return on the LSWR, or vice versa, to avoid the need.

Last edited:

There is/was one at Heaton Carriage sidings adjacent to the East Coast Mainline. It was used IIRC to turn HST power cars when they were based there. These days Heaton is used by Northern Rail and house their fleet of 158s.......

jamieP

The one at Fort William does already work. There is also one at Aberdeen that was finished a couple of years ago and used to turn mainline steam engines http://www.frht.org.uk/projects.html

mcmad

The one at Fort William does already work. There is also one at Aberdeen that was finished a couple of years ago and used to turn mainline steam engines http://www.frht.org.uk/projects.html
When I last saw it a couple of months ago the Fort William one looked more like a swimming pool than a turntable as I don't think DB did much in the way of maintenance in the yard there.

The one at Aberdeen is off NR metals so I didn't include it albeit it is now in regular use

jamieP

One at Carnforth is still there and used. One at Fort William is owned by WCRC and does work.

Taunton

Established Member
One at Carnforth is still there and used. One at Fort William is owned by WCRC and does work.
There's not a lot of point in the steam service operator having a turntable at Fort William unless they have one at Mallaig as well.

jamieP

There's not a lot of point in the steam service operator having a turntable at Fort William unless they have one at Mallaig as well.

Used to turn locos occastionally to even out tyre wear and was used to turn locos for the annual photo charter that no longer runs. But this discussion is nothing to do with why they have one.

Ex-controller

Legend has it that it was once used to turn a 156.

McRhu

They could save themselves a lot of trouble at Fort William and Mallaig by using Leaders instead of Black 5s and K3s whatever. I'm sure there must be a society somewhere rebuilding one by now.

Mugby

Established Member
I presume the one at Barrow Hill is still operational? Does that count?

D6130

Established Member
Is the turntable at the South end of Darlington station on the Down side still there? I believe it was used for turning on-track maintenance machines in later years.

MarkyT

Established Member
Is the turntable at the South end of Darlington station on the Down side still there? I believe it was used for turning on-track maintenance machines in later years.
A fairly small turntable (50ft) that has now gone on Google Earth imagery dated 2018. The A1 Steam Trust plan to have a new 70ft turntable at their new operating base in the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.