• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much does it cost to power a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AverageTD

If a mile cost £9 in fuel then a 393 mile run from Kings Cross to Edinburgh (non-stop) would cost approx £3550 (£3537 on a calculator) on a HST

coppercapped

Established Member
If a mile cost £9 in fuel then a 393 mile run from Kings Cross to Edinburgh (non-stop) would cost approx £3550 (£3537 on a calculator) on a HST
Eh? I think you are a factor 2 too high. In post https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/how-much-does-it-cost-to-power-a-train.156878/#post-3660722 43096 stated that an HST set, not power car, cost £4.32 per mile. Rounding the figures to £4.50 per mile over 400 miles this comes to £1,800 which means eleven passengers buying Standard Anytime tickets would pay the fuel bill.

Moodster020

Horses for courses with engines. More friction & thus wear with small engines versus large. There's a reason cars with 4k revs 1 liter petrols fall apart at 120k miles v 300-400kmile 2k rev diesels (mines currently at 315k miles).

Railperf

Established Member
I'm led to understand that a Pendolino can consume anywhere between 3000 and 5000 Kwh of electrical energy on a run between Euston and Manchester - depending on the path, congestion etc. At domestic prices of 12p per kw/h - though i am sure the railway must claim some sort of bulk discount - you can do the sums yourselves....

Lozzy0603

Are there differences in track access charges for a DMU vs the EMU, (lets say for a Class 221 vs a Class 390 on the WCML.) probably/maybe because of weight? Are there any "eco" charges between them? (I'm thinking of some sort of penalty charge for using a DMU where an EMU could be used?)
Would there be any other costs to be factored between running a DMU or an EMU in this example? (A DMU degrading the quality of overhead lines prematurely due to pollution??)
To flip the question another way, does an operator get any bonus/incentive for using an EMU where they could use a DMU on the same route?

Thanks for any info!

Ken H

On Moderation
the wholesale price for electricity varies with time during a day. Far more expensive at 1730 than it is at 0300. I assume NR has to cope with that. I dont know if TOC's have to pay different prices depending on when energy is used.

http://gridwatch.co.uk/ gives you an idea of relative energy generation in real time, and history.

Ken H

On Moderation
Are there differences in track access charges for a DMU vs the EMU, (lets say for a Class 221 vs a Class 390 on the WCML.) probably/maybe because of weight? Are there any "eco" charges between them? (I'm thinking of some sort of penalty charge for using a DMU where an EMU could be used?)
Would there be any other costs to be factored between running a DMU or an EMU in this example? (A DMU degrading the quality of overhead lines prematurely due to pollution??)
To flip the question another way, does an operator get any bonus/incentive for using an EMU where they could use a DMU on the same route?

Thanks for any info!

I saw a Trans Pennine 3 car DMU on the WCML near Shap on Sunday. If there are penalties, TP must have paid loads!

Status
Not open for further replies.