• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much would it cost..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
..... to fill your average bus or coach with fuel?

In 1991 I travelled on a coach trip to Scotland.On the return trip we stopped at Strensham services to refuel the coach. It was H638 UWR and it took 208 litres of diesel at 44.6 pence per litre, total cost £92.77.

I have no idea why I wrote this down at the time but was wondering how much it would cost now to fill a tank on a coach and what the fuel tank capacity is.

Stopped at the Packhorse Hotel in Bolton before this and night stopping outside the hotel was GM Buses H702 GVM!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

quarella

The fuel tank capacity is often an option depending on what work the operator has planned for the coach. For example from the Volvo B10M manual:-
Fuel tank capacity
180 litres or
2x100 litres or
300 litres

I have filled a 100 gallon (400litres) tank on a Shearings Leyland Tiger intended to do a week's tour between fillups with a range of approximately 800 miles. It had done that but not been refuelled at the depot and come away again so was running on fumes. It took forever and was at an uncomfortable height. At the lowest pump price in my area (118.9)that would currently cost £475.00 to fill! Conversely another operator using ex NBC Leyland Leopards struggled to cover 300 miles on a tank full. About 45 gallons (180litres) which for local express services and returning to depot every night was adequate. At the pump £151.00

Status
Not open for further replies.