• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How often do you run your layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Interesting that I've just seen this as I've been working on my layout this morning and just got chance to run a small test train over the new bit. I normally run the layout a couple of times a week - more during lockdown - but I'd like to be able to run it more.
@Sad Sprinter is there any chance you could share the trackplan for your layout? Sounds interesting.

-Peter :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It depends really. Some weeks I do quite a bit of running, some weeks just scenery stuff and some weeks I don’t get a chance to do anything.
I’ve been having a bit of a flurry of activity this last couple of months though.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Sorry for the rough drawing-had to make it in Paint. Basically, it's a central 'grand terminus' with a three track approach and some carriage sidings for MUs.

Unfortuantley, I need one more inner radius curve to complete the third track, and the junction layout in the terminus isn't quite right, but it keeps me on my toes by allowing two trains to come in from the sidings into the terminus whilst clearing departures from the four platforms. Still some sidings I want to add for my locos, but at the moment is not a bad layout.

Currently I'm running:

Hornby class 155 (circa 2003)
Bachmann Metro Rail class 158 (circa 2007)
Hornby Connex class 466 (circa 2005)

Want to fix my Class 168 (that coupling problem still isn't fixed) and get out my NSE class 50 with its MK1 and MK2 coaches. Also trying to get my Eurostar (circa 1998) running again. At the moment, three trains is a bit light for this layout.

trackplan.png

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry for the rough drawing-had to make it in Paint. Basically, it's a central 'grand terminus' with a three track approach and some carriage sidings for MUs.

Unfortuantley, I need one more inner radius curve to complete the third track, and the junction layout in the terminus isn't quite right, but it keeps me on my toes by allowing two trains to come in from the sidings into the terminus whilst clearing departures from the four platforms. Still some sidings I want to add for my locos, but at the moment is not a bad layout.

Currently I'm running:

Want to fix my Class 168 (that coupling problem still isn't fixed) and get out my NSE class 50 with its MK1 and MK2 coaches. Also trying to get my Eurostar (circa 1998) running again. At the moment, three trains is a bit light for this layout.

View attachment 91962

Looks interesting. Would love to see some photos of it if you get a chance.

Peter C

Established Member

Currently I'm running:

View attachment 91962
Ah cool - looks to be a lot of fun to operate, definitely! I've got a similar track design in terms of the loops but I'd never thought of putting a terminus station in the middle (having said that, I do have three terminating platforms towards the middle of my layout as part of the largest station). Sounds as though you have a lot of stock as well!

-Peter

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Looks interesting. Would love to see some photos of it if you get a chance.

Sadly there's not much to see, not a baseboard layout, just a layout on my floor amongst my clutter. I used to have a baseboard when I was younger, but dismantled it when I could no longer fit inside the control well.

Ah cool - looks to be a lot of fun to operate, definitely! I've got a similar track design in terms of the loops but I'd never thought of putting a terminus station in the middle (having said that, I do have three terminating platforms towards the middle of my layout as part of the largest station). Sounds as though you have a lot of stock as well!

-Peter

Haha I do! The product of many childhood Christmases. Most of the pocket money I saved up when I was little went on more stock. I'm sure model railways were cheaper 20 years ago.

Would definitely reccommend termini, it does feel satisfying to park a train in one of the platforms as if its the end of a long journey. I did think about a layout similar to yours because I imagine its more resource efficient to turn trains in one large station rather than two termini.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Haha I do! The product of many childhood Christmases. Most of the pocket money I saved up when I was little went on more stock. I'm sure model railways were cheaper 20 years ago.
A lot of my stock has come as gifts too, although there are quite a few engines I've bought when I've found good deals or just engines I like the look of. I'd agree with you in terms of costs!

Would definitely reccommend termini, it does feel satisfying to park a train in one of the platforms as if its the end of a long journey. I did think about a layout similar to yours because I imagine its more resource efficient to turn trains in one large station rather than two termini.
The reason for having the terminating platforms in my largest station was to add some operational interest and it definitely is nice to park a train in one of the platforms after a long journey (well, I say long - the journey takes about 10 seconds from one station on my layout to the next). I've got two terminus-only stations on the layout to add some more interest as well.

-Peter

BRblue33

So far this year i've not run a train on the layout . Thing i've lost my mojo . Only been working on the scenery replacing buildings. Like old superquick card kits and scalescene kits.

Iskra

Established Member
So far this year i've not run a train on the layout . Thing i've lost my mojo . Only been working on the scenery replacing buildings. Like old superquick card kits and scalescene kits.
Have you got any pictures you can share?

I run my layout properly around once a week, but sometimes fire it up inbetween to test any new arrivals or that any loco's still work after I've finished weathering them :D

birchesgreen

Established Member
I try once a week, a bit more at the moment as I've just started a small second layout (1970s BR N gauge).

Peter C

Established Member
I've had this happen to me a few times in the past. I've found the best way to fix it is to try and find something which really interests you on the layout, whether that be buildings or operations or other scenery.
I've found in my experience that the best way to interest me in my layout after a time away from it is to change something I knew didn't work or I wasn't happy with: I tend to stay away from the layout after something happens on it which I don't like.

-Peter

Established Member
Most weekends I normally get a good chance of running on the layout. Normally Saturday evenings running in and stabling the stock and then on Sundays running them out again.

BRblue33

[ATTA This picture was taken about 2 years ago. It's about time i took some more. Maybe a night scene with the station lights on.1615148481030.pngCH=full]92078[/ATTACH]

reddragon

Established Member
I used to run my layout at the weekends / evenings until I left my parents home. Then it was abandoned for 20 years!

I started my new layout in 2015 but stopped in 2016 and it was not used until lockdown started.

Now, I'd say most weekends, some weekdays when WFH & in need of a break. Going forwards it will most be used on rainy days, less so in good weather to be out in. The winter is temperature dependant.

reddragon

Established Member
That 3rd rail was a nightmare to put down. Took over a year to do most of the layout. Those Peco pot's brake so easy when you fix the rail to them..
I have virtual 3rd rail, you virtually cannot see it apart from the pick up shoes on the units . . . . .

Seans like NSE

On Moderation
When i moved house a year ago, I put my model trains in the attic. I will built a layout soon. So i haven't ran my layout for a year.

Journeyman

Established Member
That 3rd rail was a nightmare to put down. Took over a year to do most of the layout. Those Peco pot's brake so easy when you fix the rail to them..
I especially admire anyone brave enough to model London Underground, as they have a 4th rail to deal with as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.