• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'How to Fix a Railway' on the BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
New documentary starts tomorrow night at 2100 on BBC One Wales or on iPlayer, entitled 'How to Fix a Railway'.

The documentary is based around the new developments with Transport for Wales and plans for the South Wales Metro if anyone's interested!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

56xx

I found it quite good. Covers a few years from the end of the Pacers to the introduction of the 231s on TfW.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I started to watch it, but I gave up after about five or ten minutes. Maybe it's me, but I thought that it didn't get started quickly enough, hopping from person to person without actually setting out what was actually happening.

Established Member
New documentary starts tomorrow night at 2100 on BBC One Wales or on iPlayer, entitled 'How to Fix a Railway'.

The documentary is based around the new developments with Transport for Wales and plans for the South Wales Metro if anyone's interested!
And viewers outside Wales were blessed with a repeat of Who Do You Think You Are? instead! I know which I’d rather watch.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It was OKish but somewhat rushed and disjointed and never staying on the same topic for more than a few minutes.
It was the usual type of fly-on-the-wall documentary all smiles,jingley music and inane commentary. If stretched out over a few episodes it could have been better. The title is a bit of a misnomer as the show never really gave any indication of how to fix a railway.
On the plus side I don’t think I ever heard the immortal phrase “but,there’s a problem”. :D

Runningaround

They've done a similar program before. Follow a few carefully selected eccentric staff, showing a glimpse of how amazing staff are at their jobs and ensure the passenger is seen as the problem. PR for free on the BBC.
They have a comedian doing the voice over in a not too risky mocking of ''Pacer enthusiasts''
Without looking at the next episode guide, I guess we will see.
Overblown problems resolved smoothly.
Hysterical passengers becoming so grateful for the help of heroic staff.
Fare avoiders always getting penalised and never being in the right.
Fantastic new trains with smiling passengers.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It was OKish but somewhat rushed and disjointed and never staying on the same topic for more than a few minutes.
This sums up my thoughts, as I couldn't get into the subject (and I wanted to) because the way it was presented didn't allow me to.

Sheridan

I definitely felt that fitting in 3-4 years’ worth of developments made it feel rushed, but at the same time there probably wasn’t enough material for a 4- or 6-part series. Without Covid there may have been more interesting events over the filming period to justify a longer run, although they may never have wanted to make more than an hour-long show anyway. If they’d been outside the south-east more than twice (Bow Street and Chester, I think?), then there may have been a bit more to work with.

Runningaround

I definitely felt that fitting in 3-4 years’ worth of developments made it feel rushed, but at the same time there probably wasn’t enough material for a 4- or 6-part series. Without Covid there may have been more interesting events over the filming period to justify a longer run, although they may never have wanted to make more than an hour-long show anyway. If they’d been outside the south-east more than twice (Bow Street and Chester, I think?), then there may have been a bit more to work with.
As they are only showing how good the railway fixes things then I doubt they have much footage even over four years. Try showing how both sides then they might have enough for twelve episodes. They even failed to show ''Welcome To Hells'' house, he'd have given a good interview on how NR kept changing there plans and got ever closer to his house.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It did feel a bit rushed and jumpy, would have been better to spread it over 3 episodes in my eyes.

Plus more away from South Wales.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Plus more away from South Wales.
As mentioned upthread, this is a BBC Cymru Wales programme, focussing on Transport for Wales, and is only being broadcast live to air in the Principality. Good chance that North Wales, in a future episode, might get more of a look in, but it's likely that the production team that made the programme were all based in Cardiff.

Sheridan

As mentioned upthread, this is a BBC Cymru Wales programme, focussing on Transport for Wales, and is only being broadcast live to air in the Principality. Good chance that North Wales, in a future episode, might get more of a look in, but it's likely that the production team that made the programme were all based in Cardiff.

I don’t know what the principality is, but is there any evidence that any future episodes are planned? Being based in Cardiff is no real reason to avoid visiting the north of the country. It may be cheaper to stay nearer to HQ, but the amounts involved must surely be pretty small in terms of the overall budget of a programme like this, even if that overall budget is small to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.