• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to obtain CAD files of Class 153, 156, 158

CraigTT

Hi, first post on here and I'm seeking to obtain specific CAD files for a project we're engaged in at present. We've approached the instructing client, but despite the fact that they operate this rolling stock, obtaining CAD files for the carriages does seem like a tricky task that we're limited with success. Can anyone guide me to a source? thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Hi, first post on here and I'm seeking to obtain specific CAD files for a project we're engaged in at present. We've approached the instructing client, but despite the fact that they operate this rolling stock, obtaining CAD files for the carriages does seem like a tricky task that we're limited with success. Can anyone guide me to a source? thanks
Can the vehicle operator not ask the owning ROSCO for them?

CraigTT

We're trying not to push too much back towards the instructing client other than a request if they had the drawings. They must be in circulation somewhere. Historically we have always met with resistance when seeking OEM data on rolling stock, such as CAF seeking their carriages to be powered but not advising what the internal circuitry is on the carriages, nobody want s to talk about carbon bushes for bearing bypasses and electrical capacity and when we're working on CET systems the same applies. any assistance appreciated. :)

XCTurbostar

Established Member
I'm not sure what your business or needs are, but, holding off on advising your client that you do not have the resources to do your contract is bad project management, it usually forms part of your pre-construction information pack. I would also note that requesting these files in the public domain could also lead to an inaccurate design since you are trusting the respective sources to be true and unchanged. CAD files will be extremely hard to come by since all the stock you specified is pre-digitalization and will not have been modeled unless there was a need/requirement to do so. Network Rail has gauging information for all the stock you noted and as @43096 stated, the ROSCO will hold all of the measurement and technical data for the stock it owns and I would seek to ask them through your client/operator - this will give you greatest certainly of proving to them that your needs are legitimate.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what your business or needs are, but, holding off on advising your client that you do not have the resources to do your contract is bad project management, it usually forms part of your pre-construction information pack. I would also note that requesting these files in the public domain could also lead to an inaccurate design since you are trusting the respective sources to be true and unchanged. CAD files will be extremely hard to come by since all the stock you specified is pre-digitalization and will not have been modeled unless there was a need/requirement to do so. Network Rail has gauging information for all the stock you noted and as @43096 stated, the ROSCO will hold all of the measurement and technical data for the stock it owns and I would seek to ask them through your client/operator - this will give you greatest certainly of proving to them that your needs are legitimate.
This is the complete and correct answer. A public forum can’t do anything further for you.

vuzzeho

It's highly unlikely that there would be original CAD files for the stock you mentioned. They simply weren't using CAD that much back then. For accuracy, I'd look for measurements, technical data, and design/engineering drawings, and make your own CAD model, or hire someone to, based off of that.

D365

Veteran Member
It's highly unlikely that there would be original CAD files for the stock you mentioned. They simply weren't using CAD that much back then. For accuracy, I'd look for measurements, technical data, and design/engineering drawings, and make your own CAD model, or hire someone to, based off of that.
Originals, no, but Porterbrook or Angel may have previously contracted a rolling stock engineering firm to produce CAD models for any of their Sprinter vehicles. It’s a costly exercise (think in multiples of £100,000), so no point doing the work again if these are available.

Loads of the drawings and schematics are on Serco’s PADSNet system. You need a licence. As others have suggested the ROSCO have all the drawings.

If you are trying to design systems without this info you won’t usually get much help. This is how design and certification companies/authorities make their money.