• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How would you design a new heritage loco depot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meerkat

Established Member
Not sure if this should be in speculation...
Given a decent budget and a decent size plot of land what layout would be best for a new loco shed on a heritage line?
For easy access without lots of shuffling I would think a roundhouse or a traverser would be best - is one easier/cheaper than the other? Cheaper obviously meaning less very expensive!
I would like it to be fully accessible for the public (a major reason to do new build). Would it be allowed to have movable railings that meant the public could wander about between the locos from the opposite end to the turntable/traverser but blocked off if work being done (maybe with an off limits section where heavy work was being done)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meole

Many German preservation schemes operate out of functioning roundhouses with full access, there is trust in the common sense of visitors which is absent here of course, with our insistence on H&S.

Flying Phil

Established Member
This, of course, is relevant to the GCR, as they must be in the process of designing the replacement of the old shed to the North of Loughborough Station. The fundraising has started and the site is slowly being cleared. They have stated that it will be accessible to the public and have an educational remit.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Quite simple:
  • Concrete base
  • Several roads
  • Pits
  • Cranes
  • Metal shell
  • End doors
  • good quality lighting and heating
  • good tool/spares storage
  • proper washing and eating facilities

I will provide a viewing gallery and education rooms for school children. I am happy to do guided tours but you aren't getting in my shed otherwise. It is a place of work not an enthusiast wibble fest.

absent here of course, with our insistence on H&S.

wow do the Germans not have an HSEA legislation?

Meerkat

Established Member
It is a place of work not an enthusiast wibble fest

I disagree. It’s a storage and display facility. The engines are the prime attraction of a steam railway and few are being used for the service at any one time. You can charge people to look round the shed, people who otherwise might not pay anything as they don’t want/can’t afford to take a round trip on the train.

Peter C

Established Member
Didcot Railway Centre seem to do very well with their sheds. They have the old GWR steam shed, which works both as a storage place for their locos and a museum sort-of area, and the workshop, in which they worked on the new "Saint", the carriage restoration works, where they work on some lovely old carriages, and the carriages shed, where they store their coaching stock.
If I had to design a shed for a heritage line, I'd build it like DRC. They seem to work perfectly well with what they have.

-Peter

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I disagree. It’s a storage and display facility. The engines are the prime attraction of a steam railway and few are being used for the service at any one time. You can charge people to look round the shed, people who otherwise might not pay anything as they don’t want/can’t afford to take a round trip on the train.

No. I disagree. It is a place of work where you are preparing and repairing vintage equipment, hence the pits and cranes. Often that work will involve tools and equipment that the general public should not be anywhere near.

It isn't a museum. Build a museum if you want to display and store locomotives. The Severn Valley Railway have done this very well.

Not forgetting the modern problems of planning permission what you can and can't do.

I think for the purposes of this decision we can assume this is a given.

Peter C

Established Member
No. I disagree. It is a place of work where you are preparing and repairing vintage equipment, hence the pits and cranes. It isn't a museum. Build a museum if you want to display and store locomotives. The Severn Valley Railway have done this very well.

I think for the purposes of this decision we can assume this is a given.
Just wondering - just a yes or no - does DRC meet your requirements? It seems to, to me at least. (Including the workshop at the back of the engine shed, which I think has cranes).

-Peter

Flying Phil

Established Member
Whilst DarloRich is quite correct to say that it is a place of work, I think that would severely restrict potential funding sources. By having explicit educational and viewing facilities designed into the shed, then the wider charitable aims of the Railway are enhanced and funded.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Didcot Railway Centre. :)
I've seen the abbreviation (is that the right word? Acronym?) used before, but how widely used it is, I don't know.

-Peter

Thanks - I have never been there so cant comment!

Whilst DarloRich is quite correct to say that it is a place of work, I think that would severely restrict potential funding sources. By having explicit educational and viewing facilities designed into the shed, then the wider charitable aims of the Railway are enhanced and funded.

That's why i said there should be viewing galleries and education rooms on site. There absolutely should be educational outreach if only to help you find the apprentices you need to keep heritage skills alive. Ever tried to find a copper welder? - I just don't want randoms walking around an area where there is a risk of injury

BigB

Thanks - I have never been there so cant comment!

That's why i said there should be viewing galleries and education rooms on site. There absolutely should be educational outreach if only to help you find the apprentices you need to keep heritage skills alive. Ever tried to find a copper welder? - I just don't want randoms walking around an area where there is a risk of injury

To get any funding from HRA or the lottery fund public "access" is a key element. This may mean an observation floor like the NRM or North York Moors, and does not necessarily mean people milling round whilst work is on going counting rivets etc. apart from organised events. Unfortunately even the ideal shed has to be funded....

There is a huge downside - many volunteers do not like working in the public gaze, and deliberately avoid times when people are visiting. So maybe a key addition (and I realise this is covered elsewhere...) is professional volunteer facilities that attract people to come and maintain the engines in "the shed".

AndyY1951

If this facility is being purpose-designed from scratch, I see no reason why adequate and safe public viewing facilities can't be built-in without interfering with the work on the locomotives. If it is to funded in part or wholly by public appeals then I for one would be much more likely to support it with provision for viewing provided.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
...there is trust in the common sense of visitors which is absent here of course, with our insistence on H&S.

There was another thread on this subject a wee while back. I would trust the common sense least of a bunch of gricers with an entitlement complex and a 'got to see 'em all' attitude towards the inventory of heritage railways.

With this in mind, my dream heritage loco depot would be safely out of sight of the paying public and the rivet counters alike. If you want to see the locomotives languishing at the back of my depot then you can go on my railway's website and look at a photo like any normal pleb. You can't don a high vis and take yourself off for a jolly around my depot because I will have stringent security measures in place. Likewise the public don't see lines of rotting locomotives, thus giving my railway an air of professionalism. :D

AndyY1951

There was another thread on this subject a wee while back. I would trust the common sense least of a bunch of gricers with an entitlement complex and a 'got to see 'em all' attitude towards the inventory of heritage railways.

With this in mind, my dream heritage loco depot would be safely out of sight of the paying public and the rivet counters alike. If you want to see the locomotives languishing at the back of my depot then you can go on my railway's website and look at a photo like any normal pleb. You can't don a high vis and take yourself off for a jolly around my depot because I will have stringent security measures in place. Likewise the public don't see lines of rotting locomotives, thus giving my railway an air of professionalism. :D

Does your railway thrive only on income from ticket and refreshment sales, or does it also have members who pay a subscription and shareholders who require an incentive beyond a ride from A to B?

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Does your railway thrive only on income from ticket and refreshment sales, or does it also have members who pay a subscription and shareholders who require an incentive beyond a ride from A to B?

My railway would do Santa Specials, stick a Thomas face on a blue tank engine, do some real ale specials... all that sort of thing.

If a subscription service results in hordes of people poking around every nook and corner with a sense of entitlement and impunity then forget it!

trebor79

Established Member
Any fule kno the best locomotives are built in Darlington or Doncaster;)
I went recently and was surprised to see Armstrong Whitworth builders plates on one of the GWR locos (can't recall which one). I learned that Swindon subcontracted on occassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.