• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS1 Church Path Pit Sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJRB

Established Member
Having done a little bit of searching, I've found out that the sidings just outside Ebbsfleet International towards Gravesend are called Church Path Pit Sidings and are seem to be overhead electrified. This is all very well but there doesn't appear to be any planned movements in or out of these sidings at all. This has left me very confused as to their purpose considering the fact that they must have cost a considerable sum to construct. Can anybody shed any light on this matter?

I've attached a map with the sidings highlighted.

Attachments

• ChurchPathPit.jpg
    ChurchPathPit.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 176
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

es373

Possibly used for Northfleet Cement Works shunting or for turning back units should the station be full?

However, as its a CTRL line. I would assume that its to be used in time of severe service disruption so if 395's couldnt get back to depot due to failures and the prep timing had ran out meaning the unit cannot be driven on CTRL.

EDIT
It was going to be used as a stable siding but the kids in the local area like to throw things at units which were there, so they stopped using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkyT

Established Member
It was going to be used as a stable siding but the kids in the local area like to throw things at units which were there, so they stopped using it.

Was it used for turning back or stabling during the special Olympics service?

TheJRB

Established Member
Thanks. What a waste it seems to be. The Medway towns living up to their reputation sadly.

Are there any plans regarding these sidings and are the overhead wires still powered?

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member
They have been used in times of disruption, can be quite a handy little area to get trains out of the way if need be.

Oh, and also, Gravesend isn't one of the Medway towns.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Keeping the lines energised presumably makes it far more difficult to steal them.

jav

Once upon a time a class 395 Hot spare was meant to sit there during the day, not sure if that is still the case now.

TheJRB

Established Member
Once upon a time a class 395 Hot spare was meant to sit there during the day, not sure if that is still the case now.
I don't think it appears in the current diagrams. Maybe it's been moved because a 395 does sit at platform 13 at St Pancras during the day and another two spend the off-peak period at Temple Mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.