• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2: alternative names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
You could give those bits a different name, as they are not the primary purpose of the main bit which is relieving the WCML.
I agree, they should be named differently, as they are physically different lines.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I think National Trunk Line or National Main Line (NTL or NML) would work quite well.

PTR 444

Established Member
  • New London & Birmingham Railway
  • New Great Central Railway
  • LGV Londres Nord-Ouest

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
For each section based on the Acts of Parliament that constructed the conventional lines, I would go with the following:

New London & Birmingham High Speed Railway
New Grand Junction High Speed Railway
New Liverpool & Manchester High Speed Railway

When the above three sections have been constructed, this can be renamed to New London & North Western High Speed Railway.

For the Birmingham - Leeds/York section, I would have:

New Midland High Speed Railway.

Should if there ever be an attempt to construct a High Speed route in Scotland, this could start from Glasgow and Edinburgh working south towards Preston to meet the New L&NW HSR. This could subsequently be renamed New London & North Western/Caledonian Joint High Speed Railway.

PeterC

Established Member
I suspect that the only thing stopping it being named the "Elizabeth Line" is that the name has already been used for Crossrail. If HM pops her clogs before completion then some fawning politician will probably go for the "King Charles Line".

Meerkat

Established Member
Once it’s in operation marketing is best served by having ‘high speed’ in the name.
But I agree during development it would be more nuanced. Emphasising capacity increases would help with lower level politicians during the detailed approval process , but in the early stages of ‘catch the eye of the top politicians’ then ‘big shiny fast trains like all your foreign equivalents boast about’ probably works better than evoking a ‘you want to spend HOW much on more trains to Milton Keynes?!’

xotGD

Established Member
London, Birmingham and Nowhere Else Railway.

Transchiltern Express? That could be the operator's name as opposed to the actual railway, although it's by no means a serious suggestion.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
London Midland Main Line?

Grand National Main Line?

Great British Main Line? It will be the flagship mainline for the UK railways surely, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.