• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 phase 2 cancellation: alternative projects which may take place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Energy

Established Member
What on earth are the "suspicion flunkeys"who gave the list of possibilities ?
Sunak and his team. The projects were a list picked from marginal constituencies with little consideration to how useful and likely to happen they'd actually be. NR were not consulted on beforehand (otherwise it would have been made very clear to Sunak how stupid canceling 2a is).

If Sunak cared about things like value for money, as mentioned in the HS2 cancellation announcements, then he wouldn't be changing projects with a good BCR (HS2) to ones with an abysmal BCR (North Wales electrification).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sunak and his team. The projects were a list picked from marginal constituencies with little consideration to how useful and likely to happen they'd actually be. NR were not consulted on beforehand (otherwise it would have been made very clear to Sunak how stupid canceling 2a is).

If Sunak cared about things like value for money, as mentioned in the HS2 cancellation announcements, then he wouldn't be changing projects with a good BCR (HS2) to ones with an abysmal BCR (North Wales electrification).
Perhaps my understanding of the word "flunkeys" as describing people who perform relatively menial tasks would not for one moment have included those people in high office as in your mention above.

Perhaps that particular word is something differently understood in the area where you live.

Energy

Established Member
Perhaps my understanding of the word "flunkeys" as describing people who perform relatively menial tasks would not for one moment have included those people in high office as in your mention above.

Perhaps that particular word is something differently understood in the area where you live.
Flunkeys would refer to Sunak's team. Its unlikely he picked the projects himself.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Against this backdrop, and the likelihood that there will be a new government or prime minister soon, the temptation for departmental foot dragging, or “accidentally-on-purpose” continuing to sign contracts for HS2 work and procurement, can only grow stronger. Especially as there will probably be legal or parliamentary challenges so nothing will be final till to use are upheld or dismissed.
When you refer to HS2 above, I take it you are only referring to the existing London to Birmingham section on "contract signings" and procurement.

squizzler

Established Member
Oh no I mean that, if I were an executive in HS2, I would be absolutely foot dragging on undoing work on phase 2 that would have to be redone when the programme restarts under the next government. Which yesterdays by-election makes even more probable.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Oh no I mean that, if I were an executive in HS2, I would be absolutely foot dragging on undoing work on phase 2 that would have to be redone when the programme restarts under the next government. Which yesterdays by-election makes even more probable.
Can you give a source that confirms your contention that the Labour Party will most certainly reinstate the HS2 project (phase 2) north of Birmingham.

squizzler

Established Member
You know full well that nothing is certain till the fat lady sings, but that is the general mood music. Combined with the undeniable logic underpinning a continuous link between Northern Powerhouse Rail and HS2. International investors have been vocal about the need for the UK up its game with regard to modern infrastructure, and they will not be fooled by "network North". Expect the debate to follow the trajectory set by the now restarting rolling programme of electrification.

I think we got to remain bullish. I do not subscribe to the belief that a caretaker prime minister with no popular mandate can determine the shape of our country forever.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You know full well that nothing is certain till the fat lady sings, but that is the general mood music. Combined with the undeniable logic underpinning a continuous link between Northern Powerhouse Rail and HS2. International investors have been vocall about the need for the UK up its game with regard to modern infrastructure. Expect the debate to follow the trajectory set by the now restarting rolling programme of electrification.
Of course I know full well of the possible future implications, but it was the way that you worded your original posting (to which I responded with my posting #65) that made certain implications.

snowball

Established Member
You know full well that nothing is certain till the fat lady sings, but that is the general mood music.
Is this alleged mood music audible to anyone but you? Everything I've read suggests Labour will not reinstate the cancelled parts of HS2.

Krokodil

Established Member
Is this alleged mood music audible to anyone but you? Everything I've read suggests Labour will not reinstate the cancelled parts of HS2.
Their excuse being the government's scorched earth policy. On that basis, can't you see the advantage of a bit of bureaucratic inertia to delay the scorching until after the election?

squizzler

Established Member
You should give WNXX a go. We are a bit more feisty there than the so-called political realists that inhabit this forum.

HS2 is inevitable and nessasary in a growing and/or greening economy. As I see it, we are either a nation that will grow and/or green our economy and need an HSR system. Or we are a degenerate country in terminal decline and will not. Both are valid views to hold.

I don't think it is possible tg claim to be a growing nation whilst saying we don't need high speed rail when all other modern countries do.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You should give WNXX a go. We are a bit more feisty there than the so-called political realists that inhabit this forum.

HS2 is inevitable and nessasary in a growing and/or greening economy. As I see it, we are either a nation that will grow and/or green our economy and need an HSR system. Or we are a degenerate country in terminal decline and will not. Both are valid views to hold.

I don't think it is possible tg claim to be a growing nation whilst saying we don't need high speed rail when all other modern countries do.
You are welcome to hold your own personal views on thread matters as long as you extend the same courtesy to those who hold a different point of view.

WNXX and SkySkyraperCity are two websites that are nowhere near as well moderated as this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.