• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Progress near Kenilworth

TheDavibob

Probably someone jumped in and edited it once the two year "pause" of Delta to Handsacre was announced.
I'm not *certain* this is the case - I walked in the Lichfield area before the official announcement of the pause, but after the rumours were going about, and was using OSM to navigate the various HS2 bits and pieces. It didn't have the route of the line marked and it was a bit wishy-washy with compound/worksite locations (e.g. not indicating a closed footpath, which was a little irritating).

I can't confirm, however, that the route line was on there south of Birmingham at that time - it may be more recent than that.

I put this down to there being more keen OSM-editing-types in Brum/Kenilworth than Lichfield.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
The bridge under the Coventry-Leamington line has been installed

Didn't keep to planned schedule, was finished 27 hours early

snowball

Established Member
The bridge under the Coventry-Leamington line has been installed

Didn't keep to planned schedule, was finished 27 hours early

This press release also confirms that the bridge at Streethay under the Lichfield-Burton line has been placed. I haven't seen another announcement of that, though I was expecting it as one of the press releases on the WCML bridge said it would use the same transporter.

Snow1964

Established Member
This press release also confirms that the bridge at Streethay under the Lichfield-Burton line has been placed. I haven't seen another announcement of that, though I was expecting it as one of the press releases on the WCML bridge said it would use the same transporter.
The video, on the link, seems to show 3 different bridges being moved, the Streethay one was 28th July and the third one (near Kenilworth) just completed

Last edited:

stuving

Good to see Freyssinet have been allowed to do a standard French ripage for once ... even if HS2 do call it "this innovative construction method".

snowball

Established Member
Compared with the others, the Streethay bridge gives the impression of being very wide, as it would be seen from an HS2 train. Maybe some sort of illusion. Or the beginning of the Handsacre divergence?

I assume the A38 bridge is firmly committed, given that the slip road is already closed, but probably not the same technique.

bib

Looks like they've started on the tunnel section of the Burton Green Tunnel, or is it the Burton Green green tunnel...

chris2

Another Burton Green flyby.

The plan is pretty clear from the air now. The formwork for the tunnel to the north has made good progress. It extends a looong way! The temporary bridge looks almost done. Once traffic is routed over it they can demolish the existing bridge and join the bits of tunnel together. Looks like they’ve not done the formwork on the south side to keep a wider access to the bridge but presumably once this is down and the piling finished they will do a similar thing here. Then they can dig it out and connect it all up. Eventually it will all get covered in soil and planted up to make a green corridor that connects through.

I think the end result will be pretty good. I do feel for the locals though, it must be pretty disruptive.

Anyone know the timescales for covering it all up?

bib

Couple of new flyover videos, the guy seems to be doing them most months. Most of the progress seems to be with the various bridges.

bib

A flyover of the Burton Green tunnel, you now can see the scale of the excavation with diggers down in the holes. The channel also has some other flyovers of bits between Burton Green and Long Itchington tunnel I think.
1704296788264.png

Flyover of the area around the A46 crossing between Kenilworth and Coventry

Last edited:

bib

Planning approval granted for the Burton green tunnel / Kenilworth bridleway redesign.
Some good renders, I didn't realise how big a cutting it was in, it looks like they're only excavating the actual tunnel section atm, but the cutting with trusses will extend a similar distance to the west . Lots of sound barriers to block the view.
1710324737384.png 1710324783400.png

Fazaar1889

Planning approval granted for the Burton green tunnel / Kenilworth bridleway redesign.
Some good renders, I didn't realise how big a cutting it was in, it looks like they're only excavating the actual tunnel section atm, but the cutting with trusses will extend a similar distance to the west . Lots of sound barriers to block the view.
View attachment 154094 View attachment 154095
That actually massive. Crazy.

Snow1964

Established Member
Not sure which is best HS2 thread, but work has started on A43 bridge, with the dual carriageway slewed either side of work side.

Drone and close up views and audio description from HS2 staff

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not sure which is best HS2 thread, but work has started on A43 bridge, with the dual carriageway slewed either side of work side.
This site is very near Brackley, just a few hundred metres north of Turweston Green bridge, the video for that you put in the “Brackley to Great Missenden” thread, (which always seems to cover a fairly large section).

Snow1964

Established Member
Drone views of the new A429 bridge and new bridge where existing (Coventry-Leamington) rail line crosses the HS2 route

New drone video of HS2 Burton Green Tunnel 20th April 2024

Last edited: