• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST coach disposals

It has indeed - used as a source of spares for the GW and ScotRail sets and unfortunately as a result, has a nice and big hole cut into the side.

As in they chopped a hole in the bodyside? If that went through structural bits that's probably the end of that then!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Towers

Established Member
As in they chopped a hole in the bodyside? If that went through structural bits that's probably the end of that then!
Presumably it might be ok for low speed heritage line operations if it was duly patched up?

On Moderation
Presumably it might be ok for low speed heritage line operations if it was duly patched up?
Mark 3s have a monocoque bodyshell - you don't just "patch up" bits that have been cut out, even for a low speed operation.

Towers

Established Member
Mark 3s have a monocoque bodyshell - you don't just "patch up" bits that have been cut out, even for a low speed operation.
I appreciate the design characteristics, but I'd be very suprised if such a repair couldn't be made that would allow trundling safely around at 25mph. I'd happily suggest that the vehicle would still offer substantially better integrity and crashworthiness than a wooden framed vehicle from the turn of the 20th century, for example.

I appreciate the design characteristics, but I'd be very suprised if such a repair couldn't be made that would allow trundling safely around at 25mph. I'd happily suggest that the vehicle would still offer substantially better integrity and crashworthiness than a wooden framed vehicle from the turn of the 20th century, for example.

Depends whether it's distorted - the steel skin forms part of the structure, so cutting a large hole in that and possibly through some of the steel framing could well cause that. This has happened - there was an ex-GNER TF at Wabtec for years as a parts donor (and it was used as the testbed for the Chiltern plug doors), which had been written off following an attempted repair due to distortion. Two Mk3s were also withdrawn following a low-speed shunting mishap at Neville Hill a decade or so ago - visibly they didn't look much damaged, but there must have been distortion.

driverd

Depends whether it's distorted - the steel skin forms part of the structure, so cutting a large hole in that and possibly through some of the steel framing could well cause that. This has happened - there was an ex-GNER TF at Wabtec for years as a parts donor (and it was used as the testbed for the Chiltern plug doors), which had been written off following an attempted repair due to distortion. Two Mk3s were also withdrawn following a low-speed shunting mishap at Neville Hill a decade or so ago - visibly they didn't look much damaged, but there must have been distortion.

Be that as it may, you're talking about stock intended to run at 125mph on mainlines, not stock intended to run at 25mph.

I won't comment on the likelihood (in my opinion) of anyone being remotely interested in patching up an air braked, non-buffered Mk3 that has a giant hole cut into the side of it - when LHCS, intact, mk3s are available. But the initial question and point made, was that a suitably patched up mk3 would likely be more structurally sound for 25mph operations than a wooden coach from pre-1900. As a layperson, with that I would agree.

If you have any evidence to support an alternative conclusion I (If no one else) would be interested to hear?

spotify95

Something ran through Wellingborough station earlier today, about 7:56am, it was a pair of 37s with two barrier coaches (or similar). Anyone know what this was for? Apparently on RTT it was this:
Is this to do with something going for scrap? Or am I totally wrong?

warwickshire

On Moderation
Something ran through Wellingborough station earlier today, about 7:56am, it was a pair of 37s with two barrier coaches (or similar). Anyone know what this was for? Apparently on RTT it was this:
Is this to do with something going for scrap? Or am I totally wrong?
Thnk its most likely for the c2c 720 move?

On Moderation
37800 tnt with 37510 with C2C unit 720602 and barriers northbound through Milton Keynes around 3.15 this afternoon

Cheers

Guy
Presumably the morning move was the locos and barriers going down to Wembley.

Phil Scott

Updated p1 to show disposal of the TSDs from Wabtec Doncaster to either scrap (42173/195/217/310) or preservation (42353). Also 42355/357 have been preserved from Ely.

Is anyone able to confirm if 41206 and 41209 are indeed preserved, and if so, where?

fgwrich

Established Member
Updated p1 to show disposal of the TSDs from Wabtec Doncaster to either scrap (42173/195/217/310) or preservation (42353). Also 42355/357 have been preserved from Ely.

Is anyone able to confirm if 41206 and 41209 are indeed preserved, and if so, where?

Preserved and privately owned at a location in Cambridgeshire.

In related news, I'm pleased to see two more escapees from Ely have arrived at their new home. Colne Valley Railway based 125 Heritage have now added ex EMR & GC TF 41205 & ex EMR & GWR TRBF 40204 to their fleet.

https://www.facebook.com/125heritag...ZhRTfgVUi9sVV8anyxtb3kfo7SfJMHD5y6cejqnZULpwl

Last edited:

Roger B

Preserved and privately owned at a location in Cambridgeshire.

In related news, I'm pleased to see two more escapees from Ely have arrived at their new home. Colne Valley Railway based 125 Heritage have now added ex EMR & GC TF 41205 & ex EMR & GWR TRBF 40204 to their fleet.

https://www.facebook.com/125heritag...ZhRTfgVUi9sVV8anyxtb3kfo7SfJMHD5y6cejqnZULpwl
My notes have 41205 scrapped at Wards, Ilkeston in 2021 - with the disposal being reported in the Rail Observer as being 11036 (41205's original number) - is this incorrect? Many thanks

On Moderation
My notes have 41205 scrapped at Wards, Ilkeston in 2021 - with the disposal being reported in the Rail Observer as being 11036 (41205's original number) - is this incorrect? Many thanks
The Chiltern slam door set (which included 11031/033) went to Ward’s in 2021 for disposal, but the only HST vehicle I have recorded as going there is 40119. It really doesn’t help that the Royal Corps of Train Spotters records disposals under their original number rather than the current one. It’s just a sure-fire way for more errors to creep in needlessly.

Phil Scott

Looks like the ex-GC trailers have fared very well in preservation - four out of six of the TFs. Currently none of the TSs though.