• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST vehicles at Yarmouth Docks for export to Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpethcurve

I wonder if the vehicles will go on a train ferry across the gulf of mexico next for their onward shipment???

would like to see the pics of that.

tim
Assuming the whole network is standard gauge, there is already a rail link from the destination port to at least one station on the Tren Maya network. The ship docks down the coast from the new Tren Maya line.

There are several all-rail routes between the US and Mexico (and considerable cross-border freight that uses them), so no need for train ferries across the gulf. Railway map of that part of the world - https://www.openrailwaymap.org/?style=standard&lat=25.86910939099931&lon=-101.88720703125&zoom=6

The gulf crossing from the US to the southern end of the Yucatan peninsula is happening as we write.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
Assuming the whole network is standard gauge,
It is, using (AFAIK, for freight at least) standard North American rolling stock, couplers and brake systems.

The gulf crossing from the US to the southern end of the Yucatan peninsula is happening as we write.
Yes, I know, but the cargo ship the HST vehicles are on isn't a train ferry as such.

I was just pointing out that the US and Mexico are well linked overland by rail, so (unlike to/from e.g. Alaska) there's no need for train ferries/barges to transfer rail vehicles.

tjlrailblue

there is apparently a train ferry across the gulf of mexico btw, as well as the overland rail links, but anyway not relevant now that the original ship is on route there!

also they are for the trans isthmus route from the pacific to the gulf of mexico so I read, not tren maya. I don't think it's officially confirmed anywhere though.

tim

ac6000cw

Established Member
also they are for the trans isthmus route from the pacific to the gulf of mexico so I read, not tren maya.
It was mentioned in the "An HST to be used in Mexico?" thread - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/an-hst-to-be-used-in-mexico.253942/post-6388519 - based on a Railway Gazette news item which mentioned 'local sources' in Mexico.

there is apparently a train ferry across the gulf of mexico btw,
Oops, sorry, I should have checked first...especially as I must have read about it in Trains magazine a while ago... see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CG_Railway

(but at 10,000 annual carloads, it's small beer compared to at least 50 times as many that cross the border by rail, but useful for southeast US/southern Mexico traffic).

aem7ac

This topic is spread across 2 different threads now, so I thought I’d post an update here.
It turns out there’s a possibility (see below) BBC Arkhangelsk is carrying the second shipment of HST stock for Mexico.
A few days ago, the Spanish news website Diario del Istmo posted an article containing a PowerPoint slide from a Mexican government agency which operates the port in the city of Coatzacoalcos. According to this slide, the HSTs are indeed destined for Tren Maya after all.
Secondly, the slide reports that the equipment arrived in Mexico on the last day of August on a ship called “All Moon”. If the details are correct here, there was a first shipment that was unreported as leaving the UK, containing 3 Class 43s and 11 Mk3s.
Here’s the PowerPoint slide pulled from the article:
1694120785466.jpeg

Last edited:

On Moderation
This topic is spread across 2 different threads now, so I thought I’d post an update here.
It turns out BBC Arkhangelsk is carrying the second shipment of HST stock for Mexico.
A few days ago, the Spanish news website Diario del Istmo posted an article containing a PowerPoint slide from a Mexican government agency which operates the port in the city of Coatzacoalcos. According to this slide, the HSTs are indeed destined for Tren Maya after all.
Secondly, the slide reports that the equipment arrived in Mexico on the last day of August on a ship called “All Moon”. If the details are correct here, there was a first shipment that was unreported as leaving the UK, containing 3 Class 43s and 11 Mk3s.
Here’s the PowerPoint slide pulled from the article:
View attachment 142267
Well, checking vesselfinder.com, there is no "All Moon" but there is an "Aal Moon". It left Quebec on 1st August heading for Mauritius...

aem7ac

Well, checking vesselfinder.com, there is no "All Moon" but there is an "Aal Moon". It left Quebec on 1st August heading for Mauritius...
Interesting. Maybe some sort of mistake on the Mexican government’s part? I’m sure the true number of exported vehicles will become apparent in due course at least.

stuving

Interesting. Maybe some sort of mistake on the Mexican government’s part? I’m sure the true number of exported vehicles will become apparent in due course at least.
Given that the picture is of the BBC Arkhangelsk at Great Yarmouth (compare post #6), the consignment of 3 power cars and 11 carriages matches what's on BBC Arkhangelsk, and Aal Moon is a larger vessel (with four derricks along the side, not two), then whoever produced that slide seems to be guessing based on limited data.

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
BBC Arkhangelsk now docked in Coatzacoalcos, just a matter of waiting for the first forum member to post their photos of the ship being unloaded ......

aem7ac

BBC Arkhangelsk now docked in Coatzacoalcos, just a matter of waiting for the first forum member to post their photos of the ship being unloaded ......
A few of many photos posted on the website/forum MEXLIST, apparently originally sourced by WhatsApp...
hstcoat.jpeg
mk3coat.jpeg
emrintercity.jpeg
43022.jpeg

XCTurbostar

Established Member

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To save posters having to essentially report the same thing over two threads all coach disposal information can be posted here:

Status
Not open for further replies.